Advertisement

Infinity #2 (Soon you will call me Victor Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 88 posts
Title: Shitlord

Infinity #2 (Soon you will call me Victor Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:09 pm

Jonathan Hickman continues his epic story here, and whilst I didn’t enjoy this issue as much as the super-sized #1, this is still a good story, and it’s a hell of a lot of fun seeing Hickman pay off a lot of his long-running plotlines.

This issue, much like the tie-ins in Avengers and New Avengers, is split into two parts, telling two different sides of the story. We open just above Earth, at SWORD’s command station, where Thanos’ army begins it’s attack. We then get a quick recap of the events of last week’s New Avengers, where Thanos’ lieutenants, The Black Order, target each of the Illuminati members. I think it’s interesting how Hickman is using the tie-ins here, as the events within them are shown here, but not in as great detail, I wonder what someone who is not reading either of the Avengers title would be able to comprehend about the story, I’d say reading them is a must, but maybe the recaps here are enough.

We then see something we haven’t seen in a tie-in, and that’s what happened when the Black Order confronts Black Bolt and the Inhumans. The confrontation between Corvus Glaive and well, not Black Bolt, but Medusa was very well-written, and what Glaive wants is very surprising, as he requests that the Inhumans kill every one of their member who is aged between 16 and 21, a bit like Herod, only not. I was initially confused by this, but the ending scene where Black Bolt calls the rest of the Illuminati into his pocket dimension where he can speak (it’s always awesome when Black Bolt speaks) and says that the reason Thanos wants to kill all of these Inhumans is because one of them is his son. What the? Since when did Thanos have a son? I thought he was after the Infinity Gems? Man, just when you think Hickman is finally answering stuff, he asks more questions.

The other half of the story here is out in space with the Avengers taking on the Builders. I didn’t like these scenes as much as the Earthbound ones, but it was cool to see Gladiator act like such a bad-ass, and the actions of the villainous Ex Nihilo were very shocking. The scale of both of the threats in this book is huge, and at this point, I still don’t know how the Avengers are going to stop both the Builders and Thanos. Speaking of Thanos, he doesn’t even appear in this issue, is anyone else surprised by how little he’s actually been involved in this story so far? I like the Black Order fine, but there’s nothing like the real deal.

The artwork here comes from Dustin Weaver and Jerome Opena, and it was very cool to seem them working with Hickman again, both of them have drawn issues of his Avengers recently, so they have an affinity with these characters and settings, and their realistic, detailed styles really work for such a bleak, sci-fi story.

Infinity really is developing nicely, especially because it’s basically weekly, and also because it’s that rare beast amongst superhero comics… it’s unpredictable.

Advertisement

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 364 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Re: Infinity #2 (Soon you will call me Victor Spoilers)

Postby Keb » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:49 pm

Yeah I didn't read Thanos Rising but is there something in it about his son?

Flynn the Pirate
OMCTO

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Flynn the Pirate » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:57 pm

Keb wrote:Yeah I didn't read Thanos Rising but is there something in it about his son?

Not expressly. In the mini, he fathered lots of kids across the galaxy. However, aside from Gamora, the series implied that he had killed all of them, along with the mothers.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 405 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:44 pm

it was an alright issue. If you don't read the Avengers books you'd be pretty lost but, reading all of it, it's coming together still very very slowly. And much like a lot of my complaints when it comes to Hickman, it's like he does things off panel or just expects the reader to put things together like when the other ex nihlo thing self destructs and everyone goes oh no but doesn't really explain whats happening as a result. The next panel is hyperion and thor taking alien babies.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 364 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:03 pm

He self destructs and engulfs the entire planet in a diseased atmosphere that kills the people who are left behind. I think he explained it well enough.

It was cool because the Ex Nihilo guys are supposed to be the "life givers".

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 405 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:25 pm

Keb wrote:He self destructs and engulfs the entire planet in a diseased atmosphere that kills the people who are left behind. I think he explained it well enough.

It was cool because the Ex Nihilo guys are supposed to be the "life givers".

See from the exposition I wasn't sure if it was just that planet or an entire system?
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 404 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:05 pm

I think I enjoyed the stuff with the Inhumans the most this issue.

Thank you Troy for the sig

MistaT
penile prisoner

Liked in: 10 posts
Title: ThreadKilla

Postby MistaT » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:04 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:it was an alright issue. If you don't read the Avengers books you'd be pretty lost but, reading all of it, it's coming together still very very slowly. And much like a lot of my complaints when it comes to Hickman, it's like he does things off panel or just expects the reader to put things together like when the other ex nihlo thing self destructs and everyone goes oh no but doesn't really explain whats happening as a result. The next panel is hyperion and thor taking alien babies.

I agree. Its like he is just hitting all the major plot points, but leaving out the rest of the story. There is no fluidity to it at all.

I do like what he is doing though, I just wish he would fill in the blanks.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand