Advertisement

Superior Foes Of Spider-Man #3 (Also, weirdly racist Spoiler

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Shitlord

Superior Foes Of Spider-Man #3 (Also, weirdly racist Spoiler

Postby Punchy » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:33 pm

Just like Avengers A.I. this is a book that has dove straight into my heart and become one of my favourite comics already. This book is such a unique delight, and Nick Spencer’s writing of Boomerang is so perfect, I could read him rambling on about nonsense all day. This issue was full of great fun moments, off-beat takes on the Marvel Universe, and also a few surprising twists. Since Hawkeye is taking it’s sweet, sweet time releasing new issues, this should be your go-to for street-level awesomeness.

This issue opens with Boomerang giving us a recap on the history of Silvermane and his missing head, as I said, Boomerang’s inner voice is amazing, and Spencer manages to make all of this exposition enormously entertaining, especially when Boomerang deviates to tell an underground myth where the head was found by a young boy and he and Silvermane become friends, a la The Iron Giant, but of course, that’s bullshit, The Owl has Silvermane’s head under lock and key. I just love how cynical this title is.

We then see Boomerang in a meeting with his new parole officer, Mach VII, the former Beetle. I loved this scene, the dialogue between these two former buddies was brilliantly written, and Spencer once again makes recapping fun, as we get filled in onto the back-story between these two and their history in the Thunderbolts. I loved how Boomerang saw what Abe did as the ultimate betrayal, and how he saw his involvement with the Tbolts as completely different, he’s a complex character is Fred Myers. I would have liked to see Spencer tackle the fact that Mach VII changed his skin colour in some humorous way, but I expect that’s coming.

Also brilliantly written was the scene where the rest of the Sinister Six kick him out because of his new association with Mach VII, I’m loving the banter between these losers, and how they comment on the wider Marvel Universe, such as their reactions to the Defenders all being women now. It was also great to see how Boomerang fucked up and the Sinister Four were able to take over his plan, it’s great to see how small-time and stupid these criminals are, really reminiscent of the late Elmore Leonard.

The scene with the ‘Supervillains Anonymous’ meeting was equally hilarious, and also tragic, as Spencer once again uses Marvel History in unexpected ways, and of course combines it with Hippo man-boobs.

This book is just amazing, Steve Lieber’s art is perfect for the book’s tone, the humour is there, the pathos is there, and the ending sets up some exciting stuff for the future, as Boomerang sets up his former friends for a fall.

If you’re not reading this book, you really should be, it’s something special, and in a month where the Distinguished Competition is all about their villains and how fucking dark and gritty they are, this black comedy is probably the best villain’s comic of them all. Although it is only in 2D.

Advertisement

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Title: I mean... ROBINS have wings...
Formerly: DOOP SPEAK

Re: Superior Foes Of Spider-Man #3 (Also, weirdly racist Spo

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:38 pm

Punchy wrote:Just like Avengers A.I. this is a book that has dove straight into my heart and become one of my favourite comics already. This book is such a unique delight, and Nick Spencer’s writing of Boomerang is so perfect, I could read him rambling on about nonsense all day. This issue was full of great fun moments, off-beat takes on the Marvel Universe, and also a few surprising twists. Since Hawkeye is taking it’s sweet, sweet time releasing new issues, this should be your go-to for street-level awesomeness.

This issue opens with Boomerang giving us a recap on the history of Silvermane and his missing head, as I said, Boomerang’s inner voice is amazing, and Spencer manages to make all of this exposition enormously entertaining, especially when Boomerang deviates to tell an underground myth where the head was found by a young boy and he and Silvermane become friends, a la The Iron Giant, but of course, that’s bullshit, The Owl has Silvermane’s head under lock and key. I just love how cynical this title is.

We then see Boomerang in a meeting with his new parole officer, Mach VII, the former Beetle. I loved this scene, the dialogue between these two former buddies was brilliantly written, and Spencer once again makes recapping fun, as we get filled in onto the back-story between these two and their history in the Thunderbolts. I loved how Boomerang saw what Abe did as the ultimate betrayal, and how he saw his involvement with the Tbolts as completely different, he’s a complex character is Fred Myers. I would have liked to see Spencer tackle the fact that Mach VII changed his skin colour in some humorous way, but I expect that’s coming.

Also brilliantly written was the scene where the rest of the Sinister Six kick him out because of his new association with Mach VII, I’m loving the banter between these losers, and how they comment on the wider Marvel Universe, such as their reactions to the Defenders all being women now. It was also great to see how Boomerang fucked up and the Sinister Four were able to take over his plan, it’s great to see how small-time and stupid these criminals are, really reminiscent of the late Elmore Leonard.

The scene with the ‘Supervillains Anonymous’ meeting was equally hilarious, and also tragic, as Spencer once again uses Marvel History in unexpected ways, and of course combines it with Hippo man-boobs.

This book is just amazing, Steve Lieber’s art is perfect for the book’s tone, the humour is there, the pathos is there, and the ending sets up some exciting stuff for the future, as Boomerang sets up his former friends for a fall.

If you’re not reading this book, you really should be, it’s something special, and in a month where the Distinguished Competition is all about their villains and how fucking dark and gritty they are, this black comedy is probably the best villain’s comic of them all. Although it is only in 2D.

I saw it and knew it had to become my avatar.

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Title: I mean... ROBINS have wings...
Formerly: DOOP SPEAK

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:39 pm

This book is really turning out to be a great surprise. When I read the first issue, I enjoyed it because it was the closest thing to Thunderbolts we currently have. Now that actual Thunderbolts and Thunderbolts history are pretty integrally involved, I'm loving this even more!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:02 pm

TimDrake'sDumbWings wrote:
I saw it and knew it had to become my avatar.

Ha! I love it!

Chicanery
expert hobo killer

Postby Chicanery » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:57 pm

Fun thing about this comic, I managed to make Erika Moen happy by tweeting the Oh Joy, Sex Toy cameo and piss off Cullen Bunn in the same tweet chain.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:58 pm

Chicanery wrote:Fun thing about this comic, I managed to make Erika Moen happy by tweeting the Oh Joy, Sex Toy cameo and piss off Cullen Bunn in the same tweet chain.

I forgot to mention the crack about Mach VII looking like a dildo, hilarious.

Chicanery
expert hobo killer

Postby Chicanery » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:12 pm

The advertisement for OJST in the background was the best moment.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand