Advertisement

Green Lantern #23.1 - Relic (Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Shitlord

Green Lantern #23.1 - Relic (Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:45 am

Unlike a lot of these one-shots, this one is certainly very important for readers of the ongoing Green Lantern books. Relic is set to be the main villain of the upcoming ‘Lights Out’ crossover, and he’s been a major presence in the last few issues of GL: New Guardians, so it’s good to get an insight into his origins.

Regular Green Lantern writer Robert Venditti and Rags Morales show us just what Relic’s deal is, as well as what the Universe before the current one was like. No, Relic is not from the pre-Flashpoint DCU, he’s from another Universe entirely, and one that was powered almost entirely by the Emotional Light, with the various Corps (although they aren’t called that in the old Universe) creating entire planets with their powers. I found it interesting that the emotions the Lanterns were powered by in the old universe were slightly different that they are in the main DCU. So instead of anger you have fury, instead of fear you have terror, instead of will you have resolve, and so on and so on, It seems like these are stronger forms of emotion, a subtle difference, but one that could be important.

Relic is afraid that one day, the light will run out, but nobody else believes him. Of course, he is right, and the various ‘Converters’ that the Lightbringers have fail, the light runs out and the Universe comes to an end. Relic escapes though the Source Wall and into our Universe, where Kyle Rayner comes along to inadvertently set him free. It was very good to finally find out Relic’s origins, and it certainly sets him up as a good antagonist for the new crossover, he has strong motivation for wanting to stop the Lanterns and hey, he may be right. This was a Villain’s Month book done right.

Another thing I found interesting here was the way Venditti and Morales told this story, it was pretty much all in narration, with only one line of actual dialogue, and every page was a splash-page. I think this adds to the mythic nature of Relic, as well as allowing Morales to really go into detail with these cosmic tableaus. Good stuff.

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Formerly: Schmormerly

Re: Green Lantern #23.1 - Relic (Spoilers)

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:30 am

I'd say this wins the award for dumbest comic book I've read in a long long time, but I read Ann Nocenti's Creeper last night too. :lol:

Although to be fair, what good could come of stretching Johns's rainbow metaphor any further at this point? What a load.

IvCNuB4
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby IvCNuB4 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:04 am

Victorian Squid wrote:
Although to be fair, what good could come of stretching Johns's rainbow metaphor any further at this point?

Can you honestly not see the connection ? Just as the light faded in Relic's universe the same thing appears to be happening now in the DCU with the Corps avatars dying.
-
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:25 pm

I didn't know about the avatars dying, but that is good news, thanks! :)

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand