Advertisement

Midnight Shocker: W. Haden Blackman and J. H. Williams III Walk Off Batwoman

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 319 posts

Postby LOLtron » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:50 am

Citing too much editorial interference, J. H. Williams III and W. Haden Blackman announced their exit from Batwoman.

Source: Blackman's Blog

Just a half hour ago, W. Haden Blackman and J.H. Williams III posted the following message on Blackman's blog, announcing their departure from DC's Batwoman. The depature is attributed to editorial interference from DC, particularly in regards to being forced to ditch plans for Killer Croc's origin, changing the ending of their current arc, and prevented from showing Kate and Maggie from getting married in the book. As you can read below, all of the changes came at the last minute after a year or more of planning. The team will be on the book until issue #26. It's unknown what will happen with the book after that, and how it might affect Williams' upcoming work on Sandman: Overture with Neil Gaiman.

Dear Batwoman readers -

From the moment DC asked us to write Batwoman — a dream project for both of us — we were committed to the unofficial tagline “No Status Quo.” We felt that the series and characters should always be moving forward, to keep changing and evolving. In order to live up to our mantra and ensure that each arc took Batwoman in new directions, we carefully planned plotlines and story beats for at least the first five arcs well before we ever wrote a single issue. We’ve been executing on that plan ever since, making changes whenever we’ve come up with a better idea, but in general remaining consistent to our core vision.

Unfortunately, in recent months, DC has asked us to alter or completely discard many long-standing storylines in ways that we feel compromise the character and the series. We were told to ditch plans for Killer Croc’s origins; forced to drastically alter the original ending of our current arc, which would have defined Batwoman’s heroic future in bold new ways; and, most crushingly, prohibited from ever showing Kate and Maggie actually getting married. All of these editorial decisions came at the last minute, and always after a year or more of planning and plotting on our end.

We’ve always understood that, as much as we love the character, Batwoman ultimately belongs to DC. However, the eleventh-hour nature of these changes left us frustrated and angry — because they prevent us from telling the best stories we can. So, after a lot of soul-searching, we’ve decided to leave the book after Issue 26.

We’re both heartbroken over leaving, but we feel strongly that you all deserve stories that push the character and the series forward. We can’t reliably do our best work if our plans are scrapped at the last minute, so we’re stepping aside. We are committed to bringing our run to a satisfying conclusion and we think that Issue 26 will leave a lasting impression.

We are extremely thankful for the opportunity to work on Batwoman. It’s been one of the most challenging and rewarding projects of our careers. We’ll always be grateful to everyone who helped us realize 26 issues: Mike Siglain, who brought us onto the project originally; Greg Rucka for inspirationally setting the stage; our amazing artists Amy Reeder, Trevor McCarthy, Pere Perez, Rob Hunter, Walden Wong, Sandu Florea, Richard Friend, Francesco Francavilla, Guy Major, Dave Stewart, and Todd Klein; Larry Ganem, for listening in tough times; and editors Mike Marts, Harvey Richards, Rickey Purdin, and Darren Shan.

And most of all, a huge thank you to everyone who read the book. Hearing your voices, your reactions, your enthusiasm every month was such a joy, so humbling, so rewarding. You guys rock! Because so many of you embraced the series, we were able to complete four arcs, and your passion for Batwoman encouraged us to push ourselves to do our best work with each and every issue.

Thank you for loving Batwoman as much as we do.

Goodbye for now,

Haden & J H

These problems has been going on for sometime, as we reported on it back in June. Of course, Williams and Blackman are the latest in a growing list of creators to quit a DC book blaming editorial interference.

UPDATE: Williams also posted the same message on his blog, but the site is experiencing some issues (probably due to the influx of traffic).

Williams also added more on Twitter, as fans and creators poured out their support. You can read that ongoing stream of comments there, but here's an important one:

Thanks to intrepid Outhouse reporter Zechs who disturbed my viewing of the classic movie Mary Poppins with my kids and my mom, who is visiting, to publish this article. DC should get a counter reset just for that.

UPDATE #2: Steve Morris has covered the story over at The Beat, and he has some notable insights:

1. Williams mentioned that DC was more concerned about the "wedding" part of "gay wedding."

2. Williams is the artist on the new Sandman: Overture with Neil Gaiman.

UPDATE #3: "The Great One" Brian Bendis tweeted:

To which Williams replied:

UPDATE #4: Andy Diggle, who walked off Action Comics back in March, chimed in:

This story is breaking. Keep checking back for updates.

Written or Contributed by Jude Terror

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 174 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Re: Midnight Shocker: Haden and Williams Walk Off Batwoman

Postby Juan Cena » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:00 am

Dang. We scooped Uncle Rich.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 296 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:05 am

Okay dokey... this storm is gonna be fun to watch.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

Psivage
FROGMAN

Liked in: 41 posts
Title: shake it baby, shake it good!
Formerly: Cat-Psivage

Postby Psivage » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:29 am

I posted this on the Outhouse facebook thingy but I'm reposting it here cause im not that orginal.

Not showing Kate and Maggie marriage if that isn't a stance against gay marriage I don't know what is.

I think someone should send this to Westbro saying that got an allied in DC.

That part was new.

Like Zech said this storm going to be fun. Can't wait to hear DC rebuttal.

both made by Cat-Scratch

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Re: Midnight Shocker: W. Haden Blackman and J. H. Williams I

Postby Zechs » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:40 am

I just wonder about the ramifactions this has? Will J.H. still do the Sandman book with Gaiman? If not. Oh boy that's another new can of worms. But the bigger issue is the minority. Yet again DC saying they're for it but slamming the door on them.

Way to be hypocrites there DC.

sdsichero wrote:

Zechs...is...

GiveWarAChance
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 1279 posts
Title: Unliving Legend
Formerly: GivePeaceAChance

Postby GiveWarAChance » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:42 am

And Batwoman is now dropped. :smt011

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:50 am

GiveWarAChance wrote:And Batwoman is now dropped. :smt011

I'd say give it till #26 then drop it.

sdsichero wrote:

Zechs...is...

GiveWarAChance
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 1279 posts
Title: Unliving Legend
Formerly: GivePeaceAChance

Postby GiveWarAChance » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:00 am

Zechs wrote:
I'd say give it till #26 then drop it.

That's exactly what I plan on doing. I'll continue to throw my support behind the creative team.

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 300 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:40 am

It's like Bendis is monitoring Twitter to see when his dream collaborators schedules open up :lol:

Based on the reactions on here I take it everyone loved it after Rucka left? Didn't he leave for similar reasons too?

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 95 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:06 am

Buxom Lipstick Shocker.

syxxpakk
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 111 posts
Title: The Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:38 am

That wasn't the only midnight shocker last night :groucho:

When you're as good as Chael, you can only call out people worse than you.

@syxxpakk on the Twitter.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 4 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:28 am

Hmm. Williams has stressed there was never any anti-gay marriage sentiments expressed, just that DC editorial was clear that they absolutely didn't want the character married at this point.

If the two were fictionally married, there'd be no going back--any ending or reversal of the bond would be viewed by the online blogging community as a virtual hate crime against gay and female characters, and nothing really bad could happen to either character, in or out of the marriage, without a similar backlash. With regards to the bloggers, it would be easy to imagine DC being in the position of not being able to do anything right no matter what they did, in their views.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 4 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:36 am

To be honest, it's easy to think of serial characters you might not really want to be married.

Maybe a question we should also consider is why the writer and artist wanted to marry the two characters right now, and felt so strongly about it having to be done now that they were willing to walk off the book?

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 95 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:56 am

DC doesn't want their heroes to be married, except for Aquaman, which is annoying, because Mera fucking sucks compared to Lois Lane, Iris West etc.

Oh, and Animal Man I guess, but even then, he and his wife are 'separated' at the moment.

But I do get it, marriage does inhibit storytelling, I much prefer a single Spider-Man.

HNutz
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 837 posts

Postby HNutz » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:27 am

fieldy snuts wrote:It's like Bendis is monitoring Twitter to see when his dream collaborators schedules open up :lol

Yeah, first McGuire and now Williams.

DC's mistakes are Marvel's (and Bendis') gain.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand