Advertisement

Dan Didio Responds to Williams/Blackman Controversy

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 319 posts

Postby LOLtron » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:22 pm

Hey, two years is actually a great run, and anyway, hopefully the next team will do a better job.

Last night, The Outhouse reported on the latest ridiculous screw-up from DC Comics when Batwoman creative team W. Haden Blackman and J.H. Williams III publicly announced their departure from the book due to editorial interference. Williams' and Blackman's blog post mentioned, in addition to multiple major last minute changes to storylines that had been in the works for over a year, DC's refusal to allow a protaganist Kate Kane to get gay married. Though all accounts seem to indicate that it was the marriage of the character that DC took issue with, not her sexual orientation, it was enough for the story to hit major media outlets like the Huffington Post and Drudge Report. It certainly saw a lot of traffic here, and it was covered on pretty much every comics and geek-related website out there, big and small.

You can read about the whole thing here. We recommend you do that before continuing further. We'll wait for you.

You back?

Okay, so DC, for the umpteenth time, has driven beloved creators from a book with last minute, often nonsensical editorial changes, and they've done so, as usual, in a way that ensures it's as embarrassing for them as possible on as large a stage as possible.

How do they respond?

How would you respond if you were the management in a Dilbert comic?

Let's ask DC Co-Publisher Dan Didio:

Dude. Did it ever occur to you that Twitter is not a live conversation where you're being cornered by reporters with microphones in your face? You don't have to just blurt out the stupidest response you can think of. You could just not answer. You could think about your answer and whether it will sound stupid, and, if it sounds stupid, take your time and think of a different answer.

There are people who work for your company, and even better ones that work for the major media conglomerate that owns your company, who are paid to think of responses to shit like this. You could ask them to do this for you. It's kind of their job.

The response to a publicity nightmare that makes your company look inept, intentionally or unintentionally bigoted, and in general like an unpleasant place to work at, is 99% of the time not to say that you hope the next guys will do a better job on the book. That's a poor response.

I don't know what you say to make it better. Maybe you say that you have no comment right now. Maybe you say that you're looking into how the situation might have been handled better. Maybe you say you're going to try to work things out with the creators. Maybe you say that there's more to the story. Maybe you say you're sorry. Maybe you say nothing at all.

The only way you could say something worse than "we hope the next guys do a better job" is if you said it and then immediately after, tweeted a picture of your dick, and your dick was wearing little coat and hat and a Hitler mustache.

But this is just what DC does. Here's another:

Yeah. He tried to put a positive spin on it ("hey, they lasted 2 years before publicly walking off the title and airing all our dirty laundry in public...") and then tried to act like people disturbed by the constant stream of creators fleeing DC books are being unreasonable, and don't want DC to ever change creative teams on a book. Furthermore, he implies that this was a planned move by DC, not a surprise that made them look dumb in the national media.

Ok, one more for good measure. This time, the esteemed gentleman from Bleeding Cool, Rich Johnston, gets involved in the fray.

As Rich points out, DC is constantly trying to misdirect the conversation about this to some straw man argument instead of addressing the elephant that is obvious to everyone else in the room - DC keeps driving creators (and fans) off its books with last minute editorial changes that appear to the public as embarrassing blunders. But worse, when accused of driving Eisner Award winning creators off books that they are largely responsible for the success of, Didio actually tries to act like the failing was the creators', not DC's. The books are not exciting, entertaining, or part of a shared universe.

We can argue semantics over whether he directly said that, but it's the implication here. It's an attempt to sneakily shift blame from DC to everyone else. And we shouldn't be surprised. This is the same guy who once told a group of concerned retailers at their Retailer Roadshow event that creative teams have always changed on books, and the only reason it upsets people so much more now is because of social media.

DC really doesn't see this as their problem. They see it as our problem. We, the fans, the internet, the non-publicity-department-controlled comics media, are only upset because we *know* about this stuff. If we would just stop knowing about it, they would stop looking so stupid for doing it.

And that, in a nutshell, is why DC keeps finding themselves in these PR clusterfucks. Because they just have no clue what they are doing wrong. As far as they're concerned, they're doing a great job.

C'est la DC.

Written or Contributed by Jude Terror

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 296 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Re: Dan Didio Responds to Williams/Blackman Controversy

Postby Zechs » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:45 pm

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 231 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:47 pm

:shock:

This could be the veritable straw that broke the camel's back.

Regime change could be happening.

Hab

Pink_Orchid
The Virgin Connie Swail

Liked in: 151 posts
Formerly: Pink Peril

Postby Pink_Orchid » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:58 pm

habitual wrote::shock:

Hab

It would take a Marvel in the 90's type of implosion. Sales for the DCnU are too strong.

Jack Burton
biny little tird

Liked in: 50 posts

Postby Jack Burton » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:00 pm

:roll:

Christ I'd say get rid of him but I'm scared of who they'd put in charge! Because clearly nobody in his right mind would want to WORK there right now.

DC needs I mean really really NEEDS a Quesada/Jemas type right now. Say what you want about them(and I have believe me I have)but they managed to right the ship on Marvel.

DC is just fucking up left and right. It would be comical if it wasn't so sad.
Last edited by Jack Burton on Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tyler Johnson
FACEBOOKTron

Liked in: 237 posts
Title: DOCILE ROBOT

RE: Dan Didio Responds to Williams/Blackman Controversy

Postby Tyler Johnson » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:01 pm

Was Dan even AWAKE when he tweeted that crap? I've heard of sleep texting; maybe Dan is taking too many cat naps during the day and tweeting stupid shit without realizing it. That is the only possible way any of the asinine crap he spewed is alright, and even then it could be viewed as the sign of a troubled mind.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 296 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:05 pm

Black_Orchid wrote:
It would take a Marvel in the 90's type of implosion. Sales for the DCnU are too strong.

What it needs is a skyrocketing spiral of horrible comics. i.e. DON'T BUY VILLAINS MONTH or FOREVER EVIL!!!! Just like for Harras his downfall was Mackie/Bryne Era on Spider-Man.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

misac
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 212 posts

Postby misac » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:10 pm

DC really doesn't see this as their problem. They see it as our problem. We, the fans, the internet, the non-publicity-department-controlled comics media, are only upset because we *know* about this stuff. If we would just stop knowing about it, they would stop looking so stupid for doing it.

Punchy was right! But it’s according to Didio, so does that make him twice as wrong? :P

Supersoldier Washout
cheese

Liked in: 305 posts
Location: I can't really say. I'm currently what they call "AWOL" from S.H.I.E.L.D.
Title: Will Fight for Beer

Postby Supersoldier Washout » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:11 pm

habitual wrote::shock:

Hab

The industry and fans could only hope.

Carol A. Strickland
FACEBOOKTron

Postby Carol A. Strickland » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:20 pm

The answer, of course, is to give us readers more bare butt shots of Superman. That'll solve everything. Well, that and a change of TPTB at DC. It'll bring renewed energy to the line.

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 231 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:31 pm

Black_Orchid wrote:

This has the potential to be so bad from a PR perspective that an implosion isn't unreasonable.

Hab

holtom2000
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 89 posts

Postby holtom2000 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:32 pm

Frack am I loving this. I'm no didio fan but he's coming off like the worlds biggest douche right now. Who'd work for an ass like this?
Keep burning bridges didiot

Buck Lightning
FACEBOOKTron

Postby Buck Lightning » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:41 pm

To the person who suggests boycotting DC this month-- even if something like that were plausible, all you'd do is put a massive number of small market comic shops out of business. Didio, Harras and Johns would likely just be given consulting jobs on DC multimedia properties. I've often said that is what DC Entertainment is all about. The comics are not just a stepping stone or a creative well to get pitches.

I understand what you're saying. Its just that it would punish the wrong people. The better strategy would be to slowly get people to stop buying the books that lack quality. Batwoman had more merit than every Bat title except Snyder's and Tomasi's. But the others outsell it because it says Batman. Azzarello is giving me a Wonder Woman story I will put down as the best Diana has been in forever. Nobody buys it. Animal Man. Paul Cornell on Demon Knights. No one buys them. Support great comics and get off the Justice Jerks according to Johns....sorry for the alliteration.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 236 posts

Re: RE: Dan Didio Responds to Williams/Blackman Controversy

Postby doombug » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:52 pm

FBtron wrote:To the person who suggests boycotting DC this month-- even if something like that were plausible, all you'd do is put a massive number of small market comic shops out of business. Didio, Harras and Johns would likely just be given consulting jobs on DC multimedia properties. I've often said that is what DC Entertainment is all about. The comics are not just a stepping stone or a creative well to get pitches.

I understand what you're saying. Its just that it would punish the wrong people. The better strategy would be to slowly get people to stop buying the books that lack quality. Batwoman had more merit than every Bat title except Snyder's and Tomasi's. But the others outsell it because it says Batman. Azzarello is giving me a Wonder Woman story I will put down as the best Diana has been in forever. Nobody buys it. Animal Man. Paul Cornell on Demon Knights. No one buys them. Support great comics and get off the Justice Jerks according to Johns....sorry for the alliteration.

umm no, they're are far more comics being printed to be sold then just DC. Thanks for playing though. ;)

Bianco
cheese

Liked in: 118 posts

Postby Bianco » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:36 pm

Jack Burton wrote::roll:

Christ I'd say get rid of him but I'm scared of who they'd put in charge! Because clearly nobody in his right mind would want to WORK there right now.

DC needs I mean really really NEEDS a Quesada/Jemas type right now. Say what you want about them(and I have believe me I have)but they managed to right the ship on Marvel.

DC is just fucking up left and right. It would be comical if it wasn't so sad.

umm no, i was a retailer at that time, right the ship is not a term I would use for those two screwups

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand