Advertisement

Dan Didio Responds to Williams/Blackman Controversy

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Brian Burchette
FACEBOOKTron

Liked in: 113 posts
Title: DOCILE ROBOT

RE: Dan Didio Responds to Williams/Blackman Controversy

Postby Brian Burchette » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:12 pm

DC really doesn't see this as their problem. They see it as our problem. We, the fans, the internet, the non-publicity-department-controlled comics media, are only upset because we *know* about this stuff. If we would just stop knowing about it, they would stop looking so stupid for doing it.

And that, in a nutshell, is why DC keeps finding themselves in these PR clusterfucks. Because they just have no clue what they are doing wrong. As far as they're concerned, they're doing a great job.

C'est la DC.

That is the most intelligent and well thought out piece of work I have read in a very long time. Kudos! I mean really really well done.

Advertisement

Supermutant2099
Faster Pussycat

Liked in: 0 post

Re: Dan Didio Responds to Williams/Blackman Controversy

Postby Supermutant2099 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:07 pm

This is why I hate DC. The guy who is majorly in charge is someone who has ruined dc. They have let a editorial staff run wild on anyone not named Morrison or Johns. When people are begging for fan favorites to return all the answers we get contradict the last answers we got. George Perez left DC for Boom Studios. GEORGE FREAKING PEREZ. A DC legend! The guy gave heart and soul for the company. You treated him like crap. Gail Simone I wouldn't be surprised at one point earlier this year was on verge of leaving. One of dc most prominent and popular female writers. There is a portion of editorial staff that thinks they are writers. One thing to make sure superman act right or amazons are not rapist. No marriage is the thing needs to be changed at last minute. Scott Synder can't stephanie brown in year zero but hey it's okay to cut off Joker's face.
This is not about Batwoman being gay. I will say that. It's about DC and Marvel's stance against marriage. That started with OMD and then DC reboot. How many marriages got erased in that? OMD was bad but looks like crap shoot in compare to blood bath of DC Reboot. I never saw marriage making characters old. I saw it as good character progression. I still do. I got into comics Spider-Man was married and LOVED that fact. I LOVED it when Lois and Clark got married. I couldn't wait for the issue to come out. I couldn't wait to get the store week it came out.
Point in the end being is that DC and even marvel have no idea what their fans want anymore.

Aimee Olexan
FACEBOOKTron

Postby Aimee Olexan » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:36 pm

Or....you can visit your local comic shop & purchase locally-produced or lesser-known titles. That way you get to experience something new & the comic shop makes money! Win win!

Philip Avelar
FACEBOOKTron

Postby Philip Avelar » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:11 pm

I quit reading anything related to DC a long time ago. I haven't looked back since.

Chessack
cheese

Liked in: 276 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Re: RE: Dan Didio Responds to Williams/Blackman Controversy

Postby Chessack » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:33 pm

FBtron wrote:To the person who suggests boycotting DC this month-- even if something like that were plausible, all you'd do is put a massive number of small market comic shops out of business.

Well, I'm not buying any DC comics this month. But to prevent it from hurting my LCS, I committed myself to buying 2x as many Independent titles as I normally buy DC. I've only bought 2 so far this month, but there are a bunch coming and I plan on getting some Image trades while I am at it.

This way, I can (in my own small way) hurt DC without hurting the LCS owner -- who is a great guy.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 636 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:13 pm

Last night, I almost started a thread featuring a video from IGN. It was basically just a short video where one of the producers of the Iron Man films was discussing the fan reaction to the changes that were made to the Mandarin character. He was very polite and addressed the criticism without sounding condescending or trying to change the subject, while also explaining why they felt that they needed to make the changes from their perspective. All things considered, it was the exact opposite of this.
ImageImageImage

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 168 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:14 pm

But guys, Didio's is doing this to make the book fresh and fun!

And like Dan the Man said, so what if he's won an Eisner.....book needs to get with the extreme resurgence they're going for.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 93 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:14 pm

habitual wrote:
This has the potential to be so bad from a PR perspective that an implosion isn't unreasonable.

Hab

DC: Experts in bad PR.

Herald
biny little tird

Liked in: 208 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:50 pm

And Dan and the Gang's special brand of utter idiocy continues apace.
AWESOME.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 132 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:03 pm

fieldy snuts wrote:But guys, Didio's is doing this to make the book fresh and fun!

And like Dan the Man said, so what if he's won an Eisner.....book needs to get with the extreme resurgence they're going for.

Chin spikes?

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 168 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:08 pm

Zechs wrote:
Chin spikes?

And nipple spikes.

achilles
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Title: Much Eviler Than GOSD!

Postby achilles » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:09 pm

Look on the bright side. DC, Didio, Harras, Lee, and Johns suck so much that they might just create a black hole of suckiness and cause time to go in reverse.

Honestly, there just aren't enough palms in the world to do a face palm justice to these guys.

But getting rid of Didio alone won't do jack except make some of us feel better. It needs to be a clean sweep. And then they need to mend fences with both the fans and the talent.
Achilles is the kind of evil that hollows out a volcano for a lair, and sends killer robots after his enemies.---Lord Simian

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:18 pm

fieldy snuts wrote:
And nipple spikes.

:shock: He's gone Schmaucher.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:21 pm

Didio is really bad at interacting on twitter. I think he should either not respond publicly at all or make a more formal, considered rebuttal.

David Bird
phrase IV

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby David Bird » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:24 pm

Where to begin!

First off, I don't like the New 52 and I'm not reading any of it, but... I really never thought Batwoman lived up to the hype. I tried it. I tried it longer than anything else in the NuDCU. I even checked out the trades. But Williams just isn't much of a writer. Frankly, as much as I hate to come down on the same side as Didio, I think the series could use a fresh approach.

Secondly, none of the Bat-characters marry. Their life is the job (and seeking Batman's approval). Not the healthiest of lives, but I wouldn't want Batwoman to marry. And I don't have a problem with comic characters marrying. I think the Parker and Kent marriages should still be canon, but, again, I don't want to see a Batwoman marriage.

Third, its called 'married,' not 'gay married.'

Finally, I don't think cutting all your DC titles from your pull lists is going to hurt retailers. I am buying more monthlies than I have in a long time, and Hawkeye is the only one from the Big Two.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand