Advertisement

Midnight Shocker: W. Haden Blackman and J. H. Williams III Walk Off Batwoman

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 382 posts

Re: RE: Midnight Shocker: W. Haden Blackman and J. H. Willia

Postby Draco x » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:41 pm

FBtron wrote:Batwoman getting married would lock her into the relationship and makes other writers uncomfortable changing it in future plotlines, but its a relationship all of the fans support so its a stupid move to say no. I have loved Batwoman and will keep up with it till 26, then I see what happened next... I'll drop it if they bring on a writer I think will destroy it or god forbid try to make Kate straight. That has been rumoured before and will have such a backlash DC won't know what hit them.

DC is used to making stupid decisions so they will shrug off whatever backlash hits them and move to the next fuck up around the corner.

Advertisement

pastajoe
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 456 posts

Re: Midnight Shocker: W. Haden Blackman and J. H. Williams I

Postby pastajoe » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:42 pm

I've never cared about costumed heroes private lives or their writers trying to make social statements, I want to see them in costume and in action. If I want that stuff I'll watch a soap opera. Which is why Man of Steel was the best Superman movie because he wasn't fawning for Lois throughout the movie, he was in action.

SporkBot
cheese

Liked in: 282 posts
Title: Stupidity Immolator

Re: RE: Midnight Shocker: W. Haden Blackman and J. H. Willia

Postby SporkBot » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:31 pm

FBtron wrote:Batwoman getting married would lock her into the relationship and makes other writers uncomfortable changing it in future plotlines, but its a relationship all of the fans support so its a stupid move to say no. I have loved Batwoman and will keep up with it till 26, then I see what happened next... I'll drop it if they bring on a writer I think will destroy it or god forbid try to make Kate straight. That has been rumoured before and will have such a backlash DC won't know what hit them.

draco x wrote:DC is used to making stupid decisions so they will shrug off whatever backlash hits them and move to the next fuck up around the corner.

Nnnno, I think this is one decision they'd want to avoid screwing up. I mean, comic book fanboys may be a visceral, entitled lot, but they'll also face backlash from gay rights groups, people who might actually do something more than post on internet forums when antagonized.

You and I can post all we want about how much we hate a costume or character being changed, but the latter groups will use mass media to call DC out on being "homophobic" (particularly the groups that mostly want attention and aren't afraid to make a mountain out of an ant hill...like Jessie Jackson!!). That leads to the kind of bad publicity they DON'T want. Remember when they were getting Orson Scott Card to write Superman stories? Yeah, turning Kate straight, or even her having an "experimental" fling with a dude, would illicit something worse.

John Paul
FACEBOOKTron

Liked in: 192 posts
Title: DOCILE ROBOT

RE: Midnight Shocker: W. Haden Blackman and J. H. Williams III Walk Off Batwoman

Postby John Paul » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:03 am

Sad to see yet another strong creative team leave a title.

Jessica Youngblood
FACEBOOKTron

RE: Midnight Shocker: W. Haden Blackman and J. H. Williams III Walk Off Batwoman

Postby Jessica Youngblood » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:38 am

Christopher LaHaise Wow, so it's even worse.

Jessica Youngblood
FACEBOOKTron

Postby Jessica Youngblood » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:07 am

Oh, no, how dare those poor homophobes be uncomfortable! Better not make ANY minority comics now! Someone might be UNCOMFORTABLE.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 151 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:45 am

Didio should fear the fate of Craig James.
Former NFL running back Craig James was once among the most prominent broadcasters in college football. But now he can’t seem to find a job at all.

James, who left his job calling college football at ESPN to run for the United States Senate in his home state of Texas, has failed in his attempt to return to broadcasting because of anti-gay comments he made during that Senate campaign.

During his campaign, James criticized another candidate for attending a gay pride parade, promised he would never do such a thing, and said that being gay is a choice and that gay people “are going to have to answer to the Lord for their actions.” ESPN confirmed shortly after James made those comments that James (who finished a distant fourth with 4 percent of the vote in the Republican primary) would not be welcome back at the network.

At the start of this college football season, FOX Sports Southwest announced that James would be one of its college football commentators. But a week later, James was out. And now FOX has confirmed that those anti-gay comments are the reason.

“We just asked ourselves how Craig’s statements would play in our human resources department,” a FOX spokesman told the Dallas Morning News. “He couldn’t say those things here.”

James played his entire five-year career for the Patriots and was a Pro Bowler in 1985, when he helped lead New England to the Super Bowl.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/07/anti-gay-comments-cost-craig-james-his-broadcasting-job/

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Liked in: 301 posts

Postby Lord Simian » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:43 am

So, the creative team quit, saying they're done after 26.

Dan Didio announced today that Marc Andreyko is the new writer, as of 25.

Does that count as "you can't quit, you're fired"?

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 242 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:16 am

Lord Simian wrote:So, the creative team quit, saying they're done after 26.

Wow he won't even let them finish on their terms.

Pink_Orchid
The Virgin Connie Swail

Liked in: 134 posts
Formerly: Pink Peril

Postby Pink_Orchid » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:18 am

Lord Simian wrote:So, the creative team quit, saying they're done after 26.

Really? Damn, that's cold. I hope someone is updating the front page article with this stuff. I keeps getting better and better.

How about Williams taking to his twitter feed to tell people to stop with the death threats to people at DC? Very lengthy op-ed about it at BC. I can't believe there are sickos who call creators houses or post information about their kids. That is insane.

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 230 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:24 am

The sad thing is, I reckon Marc Andreyko could write a great Batwoman book, but I won't be buying it. I mean, not only is it a matter of principle - DC should not be rewarded for their appalling treatment of all creators not named Geoff Johns or Scott Snyder - but it's also not worth getting into any DC book with a new team for fear that their story will never be seen through to its end.

Didio and Harras should just write all DC books themselves. They would be asinine and moronic, but at least they would follow the company lines to the letter.

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 414 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:30 am

Or maybe Andreyko and the current team will overlap for 2 issues during the transition.
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand