Saturday, July 23, 2016 • Morning Edition • "Who invited Spektre?"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Superior Spider-Man #17 (My own shocking grandfather Spoiler

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:27 pm

Time for me to admit a big failing here, and that failing is that I’ve actually never read any Spider-Man 2099 stories. I mean, I know who the character is and his basic back-story, as well as reading one or two stories when he was a member of the Exiles, but I’ve never read an actual Miguel O’Hara story.

But that said, it’s still awesome to see this Spider-Man come face to face with the current version, and the way Dan Slott is doing it is very clever, and you can tell a lot of thought has gone into this particular time-travel story.

Pretty much the entire first half of the comic is focused on Spider-Man 2099, as Slott sets up who the character is and gives neophytes like myself all the information we need about him, about the evil ‘Alchemax Corporation’ and his origins, like Miguel being the son of Alchemax head, Tyler Stone. In the year 2099, time-stuff is being fucked up, with Dinosaurs popping up randomly, at first, it seems like this is yet another after-effect of Age Of Ultron, but there’s more to it than that, as something seems to be wiping Tyler Stone out of existence, and Spider-Man 2099 needs to save his dad to save himself. I loved the explanation of why Spider-Man had to go back in time, it was because he had already done it! Man, time-travel is complicated. From following him on Twitter, I know that Dan Slott is a big fan of Doctor Who, and it’s clear he’s having a blast using time-travel clichés.

So, Spider-Man 2099 travels to the present, and I just love the way Dan Slott has connected ongoing subplots into the possible future. How Tiberius Stone, the ex-Horizon Labs scientist turned Kingpin lackey is the father of Tyler Stone, and hence Spider-Man 2099’s granddad. It’s also very cool how Stone’s attempted takeover of Horizon as an advisor to ‘Allan Chemical’ AKA Al Chem is what will lead to the creation of the evil Alchemax corporation (Al Chem + Max Modell = Alchemax, which is very clever). I wonder if Slott had all of this planned in advance or if it’s reverse-engineered? Either way, it’s cleverly done and is a great use of continuity, and more importantly a brilliant impetus for this story and a clever reason for the two Spider-Men to fight each other. SpOck needs to stop Stone from taking over Horizon to keep his job, but if he does so, he wipes out Miguel O’Hara from existence!

I also like how Slott brought back Grady Scraps’ time-door from that one story, the rest of the Horizon employees have been less prominent in the Superior Era, so it was cool to have them back again. It was also great to see Liz Allan and little Normie Osborn show up again, I like those characters, although it’s sad to see Normie go down a dark path.

Speaking of Osborns (although, Green Goblin may not even be an Osborn), we get a brief glimpse into the Goblin Underground here, and see the seeds of a new plan brewing, this is a slow-burner, but it will be worth it in the end. We also see some of the fall-out of the Hobgoblin stuff at the Bugle, with Robbie being very cautious about what footage he runs. It’s great that Slott still makes time for subplots like this in amongst the time-travel crossover fun.

But really, the main thing here is the awesome conflict that’s set to come between Superior Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2099, those last few pages are awesome, and I can’t wait to see them fight in earnest next issue. I would probably enjoy this issue more if I was a 2099 fan from back in the day, but Slott does an excellent job of bringing me up to speed, and the way he ties both timelines together works amazingly, even if we don’t use that adjective around here anymore.

It’s also great to have Ryan Stegman back on board with this issue, his take on Spider-Man 2099’s costume is excellent. If you’re still a Superior hater, try this issue out, it has a heroic Spider-Man you do like in it alongside the brilliance that is SpOck, the best of both worlds!
User avatar

Zechs

Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:05 pm

Great issue loved the call-back from No Turning Back with the Spiders vs. the Lizards.
User avatar

HNutz

Rain Partier

Postby HNutz » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:14 pm

Punchy wrote:Time for me to admit a big failing here, and that failing is that I’ve actually never read any Spider-Man 2099 stories. I mean, I know who the character is and his basic back-story, as well as reading one or two stories when he was a member of the Exiles, but I’ve never read an actual Miguel O’Hara story.


The version we saw in Exiles made a VERY poor showing. You should check out his appearances in Captain Marvel, if not his own book.
User avatar

Grayson

Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:08 pm

Having dropped this series early on, it was mildly disorientating jumping back in all of a sudden but any time that the Spider-Man of 2099 makes and appearance, I have to check it out. Obviously, for me, the most interesting parts of this issue had to deal with Miguel O'Hara. I know that it's wishful thinking but I really hope that a new Spider-Man 2099 series comes from this. This issue really ended on a intriguing dynamic. Ordinarily when you have one hero cross over into another hero's title, it's standard for those heroes to have a misunderstanding before they inevitably team up. However in this instance you really only have one true hero in Miguel, who actually has to save the villain (Tiberius) from the other villain (Spock)! Spider-Man 2099 has to stop one villain, to save another villain, in order to ensure the existence of another villain, to save the entire future!

Image
User avatar

Amoebas

Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:47 pm

I'm one of those people who despised OMD but came back into the fold with Otto taking over and I've enjoyed a whole lot of it.

Until this issue. The 2099 stuff was completely unintersting. Once the 2013 story began (what little there seemingly was) I was still just too bored to care.

By far, the worst issue of Superior to date.
User avatar

Zechs

Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:56 pm

Grayson wrote:Having dropped this series early on, it was mildly disorientating jumping back in all of a sudden but any time that the Spider-Man of 2099 makes and appearance, I have to check it out. Obviously, for me, the most interesting parts of this issue had to deal with Miguel O'Hara. I know that it's wishful thinking but I really hope that a new Spider-Man 2099 series comes from this. This issue really ended on a intriguing dynamic. Ordinarily when you have one hero cross over into another hero's title, it's standard for those heroes to have a misunderstanding before they inevitably team up. However in this instance you really only have one true hero in Miguel, who actually has to save the villain (Tiberius) from the other villain (Spock)! Spider-Man 2099 has to stop one villain, to save another villain, in order to ensure the existence of another villain, to save the entire future!

Image


I'm curious as to what the Green Goblin is up too plus damn has Normie aged. More so than freaking Franklin. He's got a Omen vibe going for him now. :shock:
User avatar

Grayson

Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:01 pm

Zechs wrote:I'm curious as to what the Green Goblin is up too plus damn has Normie aged. More so than freaking Franklin. He's got a Omen vibe going for him now. :shock:


Yeah, the Goblin stuff is pretty damn intriguing as well. If I intended to continue buying this book after the 2099 stuff, this is an plot that I would be keeping an eye on. Also, Normie seems to have a pretty firm grasp on the concept of good and evil here. The rest of this title's supporting cast could learn a thing or two from him.
User avatar

Draco x

biny little tird

Postby Draco x » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:04 pm

Zechs wrote:
I'm curious as to what the Green Goblin is up too plus damn has Normie aged. More so than freaking Franklin. He's got a Omen vibe going for him now. :shock:


What I would like to see in regards to Normie is whether or not he has met his younger half brother Stanley by now or what he thinks of him. We never did get a reaction as to whether or not Normie knew about him or if he's in contact with his Dad who has been in hiding for a good while now. On a separate note, I hope Slott doesn't turn Normie into another Phil Urich lite evil goblin as I am getting sick of every goblin character having to be either crazy or evil.
User avatar

Draco x

biny little tird

Postby Draco x » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:06 pm

Zechs wrote:
I'm curious as to what the Green Goblin is up too plus damn has Normie aged. More so than freaking Franklin. He's got a Omen vibe going for him now. :shock:


What I would like to see in regards to Normie is whether or not he has met his younger half brother Stanley by now or what he thinks of him. We never did get a reaction as to whether or not Normie knew about him or if he's in contact with his Dad who has been in hiding for a good while now. On a separate note, I hope Slott doesn't turn Normie into another Phil Urich lite evil goblin as I am getting sick of every goblin character having to be either crazy or evil.
User avatar

alaska1125

dINGO

Postby alaska1125 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:31 am

Amoebas wrote:I'm one of those people who despised OMD but came back into the fold with Otto taking over and I've enjoyed a whole lot of it.

Until this issue. The 2099 stuff was completely unintersting. Once the 2013 story began (what little there seemingly was) I was still just too bored to care.

By far, the worst issue of Superior to date.

Whoa...I get that everyone's opinion is valid, but I couldn't disagree more. I feel like you read an entirely different book. I bought it for the 2099 nostalgia, but loved it for the actual story.
User avatar

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:10 pm

Best issue of spidey in a very long time. Loved it!

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Popeye McFly and 106 guests