Advertisement

What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1 post
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Grayson » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:48 pm

My LCS has a small bookcase filled hardcovers and trades for half price. They are constantly adding new stuff so I try to check it out every time I go in. Today I got lucky, since I had to go back and pick up the comics that I missed earlier in the week I found a like new hardcover copy of the first volume of Remender's Uncanny X-Force. 8)
ImageImageImage

Advertisement

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 7 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:58 pm

Well, I got A Distant Soil and Walter Simonson's Thor vol. 1. I'll read them next week.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:07 pm

Arion wrote:Well, I got A Distant Soil and Walter Simonson's Thor vol. 1. I'll read them next week.

Simonson's Thor should be a fun read but I haven't heard of A Distant Soil until now. I just looked it up and it sounds interesting. You'll have to let me know what you think of it.
ImageImageImage

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:15 pm

Grayson wrote:
Simonson's Thor should be a fun read but I haven't heard of A Distant Soil until now. I just looked it up and it sounds interesting. You'll have to let me know what you think of it.

Sure thing.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:23 pm

Grayson wrote:My LCS has a small bookcase filled hardcovers and trades for half price. They are constantly adding new stuff so I try to check it out every time I go in. Today I got lucky, since I had to go back and pick up the comics that I missed earlier in the week I found a like new hardcover copy of the first volume of Remender's Uncanny X-Force. 8)

Haven't you read it already though?

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:25 pm

Keb wrote:Haven't you read it already though?

Not the first arc, I was a little late to the Uncanny X-Force party. I didn't start reading it until I noticed that Age of Apocalypse characters were showing up on the cover. :oops:
ImageImageImage

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:26 pm

Fair enough.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:37 pm

Keb wrote:Fair enough.

My first issue was issue 13 or 14 and I was able to go back and purchase the previous issues going back to 10 or 11. Unfortunately, my LCS at the time didn't have the first two arcs, so I didn't go back any further than that. I have been wanting to go back and read the issues eventually, so I figured that I couldn't go wrong with a cheap hardcover to be me started.

They had a couple of Elephantmen trades too but they were later volumes. :-(
ImageImageImage

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:43 pm

Get 'em anyway!

Although to be honest the hardcovers for that series are easier to read without seriously mucking up the spine.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:56 pm

Keb wrote:Get 'em anyway!

Although to be honest the hardcovers for that series are easier to read without seriously mucking up the spine.

They finally have the hardcover of the first volume in stock but it's brand new, so it's full price. I'll probably wait for a couple of weeks and hope it's still there. My fiance would probably kill me if I bought it this week. If they still have the trades next week, I may pick them up just because they're on the 1/2 price shelf.
ImageImageImage

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:23 pm

Check the trades out first though. You may not like the heavy paper and cardstock combo. Personally I find it very hard to read as I can only open it about 3/4s and kind of have to move it around to take everything in unless I want to crease the spine.

I hate creased spines.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:41 pm

Keb wrote:Check the trades out first though. You may not like the heavy paper and cardstock combo. Personally I find it very hard to read as I can only open it about 3/4s and kind of have to move it around to take everything in unless I want to crease the spine.

I hate creased spines.

Alright, I will check them out before I do anything else because I also hate creased spines because I like to display my books.
ImageImageImage

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:11 pm

Uncanny X-Force Vol. 1: The Apocalypse Solution - As much as I loved the first run of Uncanny X-Force, one of my biggest regrets was always the fact that I missed out on the first 2 arcs of the series. Luckily, that is almost no longer an issue.

The Apocalypse Solution begins with Wolverine's new X-Force team converging on a new threat recently discovered by Angel and Deadpool, Clan Akkaba has resurrected Apocalypse. X-Force wastes no time storming the Akkaba stronghold, finding the formidable "Final Horsemen" and are at first soundly defeated. Struggling against time, the team of "killers" are shook to their very core when they discover that this Apocalypse is not what they were expecting.

Uncanny X-Force is a brilliant example of Rick Remender at his finest. When it comes to crazy, science fiction stories the man can cut loose like no other. Unlike his recent Uncanny Avengers work, Remender really get into the heads of this team. You really understand how they work and why they work so well together in this setting. These aren't just hardened killers, these are men and women who have been broken by evil men and who will risk their lives and souls to prevent that from happening to other innocent people.

We also can't forget the beautiful work of Jerome Opena, whose work is a perfect compliment to the story being told here. Rick Remender created a fantastic work of art with this run but it's no surprise that it's the arcs that artists like Opena share their work that really stand out among the best. Uncanny X-Force stands as one of the best runs on an X-Title of all time.

All things considered, I intend to pick up the second volume when I can find it but I have heard rumors that the Uncanny X-Force Omnibus will be available in the spring and I highly recommend picking it up if you haven't already read this phenomenal series already.
ImageImageImage

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:28 pm

Keb wrote:Check the trades out first though. You may not like the heavy paper and cardstock combo. Personally I find it very hard to read as I can only open it about 3/4s and kind of have to move it around to take everything in unless I want to crease the spine.

I hate creased spines.

That's one of the problems I have experienced...

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:53 am

Sakie, have you read his Secret Avengers stuff? It picks up some of the threads in UXF and it's not bad.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand