Advertisement

What? No! Aquaman is not Married to Mera! Why Would You Think That?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 23389
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 1:54 pm


What? No! Aquaman is not Married to Mera! Why Would You Think That?

Postby LOLtron » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:59 pm

What? No! Aquaman is not Married to Mera! Why Would You Think That?

At Baltimore Comic Con, DC dispels rumors that Aquaman and Mera were the only married couple to escape the Nu52s "no marriage" edict.



Source: Bleeding Cool

With the controversy over J.H. Williams III and W. Haden Blackman walking off Batwoman due to editorial interference, a lot of media focused on a single aspect of this interference, the refusal of editorial to allow Kate Kane and Maggie Sawyer to get married. Of course, DC was more than happy to latch onto this, arguing that they have no problem with gay marriage, just marriage in general, because it distracted from the real issue at hand, which is over twenty creators leaving or being chased off DC books due to editorial mismanagement. But it would be, like, hard and stuff to address that issue, so "we're not homophobes" it is.

Well, this got fans talking about DC marriages that have been undone with the Nu52, and one that stood out as being kept intact was the marriage between Aquaman and Mera. After all, he is the king of fish (or something) and Mera is frequently referred to as his queen. The couple were married pre-Nu52, and Geoff Johns, the one writer besides Scott Snyder immune to editorial interference, writes his book.

However, at Baltimore Comic Con today, Dan Didio addressed the Batwoman controversy, again acting as if the marriage were the issue and not last minute editorial changes to storylines that had been in the works for over a year. This led to Bleeding Cool mogul Rich Johnston asking a DC exec directly whether Aquaman and Mera are married, to which he was told directly that they are not married in the Nu52 and never were.

(image also from Bleeding Cool, to whom we owe our lives)

I guess when Mera is referred to as his queen, that's just in the... biblical sense? I dunno, I have no idea what it means, because it's nonsensical and pretty much an obvious retcon for the sake of winning a semantic argument over a non-issue.

All I know is that all of this is a distraction from the real issue, which is, as mentioned several times but never addressed by DC, the constant complaints about editorial interference and mismanagement.

I'll say it again: the constant complaints about editorial interference and mismanagement.

What's that? No, I'm not accusing DC of being homophobes.

I'm talking about the constant complaints about editorial interference and mismanagement.

The constant complaints about editorial interference and mismanagement.

Are we clear here now?

Editorial interference and mismanagement.

I await the responses from apologists pointing out that DC Comics isn't prejudiced against fish people.

And then I will direct them to this wonderful timeline of New 52 creative departures.

 



Written or Contributed by Jude Terror




READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!
Image

Advertisement

Grayson
User avatar
Outhouse Drafter
 
Posts: 7232
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:34 am
Location: The Darkest Timeline
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie


Online


Re: What? No! Aquaman is not Married to Mera! Why Would You

Postby Grayson » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:16 pm

This one has to be a joke or just a comment from a misinformed exec.
ImageImageImage

Stalzer2002
User avatar
Motherfucker from Hell
 
Posts: 2716
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:42 pm


Re: What? No! Aquaman is not Married to Mera! Why Would You

Postby Stalzer2002 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:21 pm

Great googly moogly, not even Johns is immune to editorial micromanagement after the fact.
Image
Image

Stalzer2002
User avatar
Motherfucker from Hell
 
Posts: 2716
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:42 pm


Re: What? No! Aquaman is not Married to Mera! Why Would You

Postby Stalzer2002 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:26 pm

Grayson wrote:This one has to be a joke or just a comment from a misinformed exec.


It COULD be. But this is DC, so it doesn't HAVE to be.

One of the problems of the internet is that it has killed satire as an art form. It has given a public forum to the stupidest members of the human race, and shown us that we can be far stupider than most of us pictured in our wildest dreams. How do you satirize that?
Image
Image

Manuel Fernandez
User avatar
FACEBOOKTron
 
Posts: 1640
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:48 pm
Location: IN THE MACHINE
Title: DOCILE ROBOT


RE: What? No! Aquaman is not Married to Mera! Why Would You Think That?

Postby Manuel Fernandez » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:51 pm

ok, screw it, I want to know EXACTLY what changes happened in the reboot, I don't care for mystery, I don't care future plots, I don't care for anything, you say aquaman is not married? well he has done a WONDERFUL job at keeping it a secret, because in all these 2 years I don't think the word "single" has been shout even ONCE in the entire damn series. but now, in a few months, we'll have them saying it again and again so Dan didio can say "see? they are not married".

bkthomson
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 23262
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:14 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse


Re: What? No! Aquaman is not Married to Mera! Why Would You

Postby bkthomson » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:53 pm

To please fans the nephew of Jacque Cousteau will be the new writer of Aquaman to energize the book with new ideas.

locuas
Birdman
 
Posts: 24
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:07 pm


Re: What? No! Aquaman is not Married to Mera! Why Would You

Postby locuas » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:11 pm

And after Jacque Cousteau's nephew leaves DC enraged by it's poor editorial management after just 2 issues, Dan Didio will say it was a good run.

Draco x
User avatar
penile prisoner
 
Posts: 7914
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:51 am


Re: What? No! Aquaman is not Married to Mera! Why Would You

Postby Draco x » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:14 pm

Grayson wrote:This one has to be a joke or just a comment from a misinformed exec.


I do hope this is a joke myself.

Bianco
User avatar
cheese
 
Posts: 1437
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:16 pm


Re: What? No! Aquaman is not Married to Mera! Why Would You

Postby Bianco » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:39 pm

I think at this point DC just wants to kill the person resetting the counter?? I still blame all this on Joe Q

Grayson
User avatar
Outhouse Drafter
 
Posts: 7232
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:34 am
Location: The Darkest Timeline
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie


Online


Re: What? No! Aquaman is not Married to Mera! Why Would You

Postby Grayson » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:11 pm

I just don't get the logic behind making a move like this for these particular characters. Look, I hate the fact that the Big 2 are splitting up established relationships in their comics at an alarming rate. I've never hid the fact that I like healthy relationships in comics, whether they are long-term dating or happily married. However, I understand why some creators may feel as though having a character attached to another character in a romantic way may limit some stories that they want to tell. I don't agree with it but I understand it. For every healthy relationship, there are relationships that simply do not work out.

That being said, you have to find a balance. There are people out there who want to read stories about young, single heroes who "sacrifice their personal lives for the greater good" just like there are people out there who want to read stories about heroes who have figured out a way to make balancing their both aspects of their life.
ImageImageImage

Stalzer2002
User avatar
Motherfucker from Hell
 
Posts: 2716
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:42 pm


Re: What? No! Aquaman is not Married to Mera! Why Would You

Postby Stalzer2002 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:19 pm

Grayson wrote:I just don't get the logic behind making a move like this for these particular characters. Look, I hate the fact that the Big 2 are splitting up established relationships in their comics at an alarming rate. I've never hid the fact that I like healthy relationships in comics, whether they are long-term dating or happily married. However, I understand why some creators may feel as though having a character attached to another character in a romantic way may limit some stories that they want to tell. I don't agree with it but I understand it. For every healthy relationship, there are relationships that simply do not work out.

That being said, you have to find a balance. There are people out there who want to read stories about young, single heroes who "sacrifice their personal lives for the greater good" just like there are people out there who want to read stories about heroes who have figured out a way to make balancing their both aspects of their life.


There's been a lot of talk about diversity recently. You don't get diversity just by having you lead wear a cowboy hat or wield a sword. You get diversity by having characters who are fundamentally different from one another. I'm talking about characters with different backgrounds, values, opinions, lives and priorities. If you don't have that, the differences in your characters are entirely superficial. Characters that only have superficial differences who don't provide contrast with one another make for incredibly boring stories. The fact that Didio, Harras and company are embracing that superficiality in the name of their myopic vision of how things should be proves that they simply don't have even the most basic understanding of creativity and storytelling.
Image
Image

Black_Orchid
User avatar
The Virgin Connie Swail
 
Posts: 3421
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:26 pm
Formerly: Pink Peril



Grayson
User avatar
Outhouse Drafter
 
Posts: 7232
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:34 am
Location: The Darkest Timeline
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie


Online


Re: What? No! Aquaman is not Married to Mera! Why Would You

Postby Grayson » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:39 pm

Stalzer2002 wrote:There's been a lot of talk about diversity recently. You don't get diversity just by having you lead wear a cowboy hat or wield a sword. You get diversity by having characters who are fundamentally different from one another. I'm talking about characters with different backgrounds, values, opinions, lives and priorities. If you don't have that, the differences in your characters are entirely superficial. Characters that only have superficial differences who don't provide contrast with one another make for incredibly boring stories. The fact that Didio, Harras and company are embracing that superficiality in the name of their myopic vision of how things should be proves that they simply don't have even the most basic understanding of creativity and storytelling.


Exactly. Right now one of the big discussions going on is the editorial mandate that Batwoman can't get married because she is a member of the Batfamily and members of the Batfamily don't get married because Batman related characters aren't allowed to have a happy personal life. That concept alone is absolutely ridiculous. If everybody in the Batfamily is miserable, then why would we even need a Robin anymore? Batman's supporting cast are the people who remind Bruce exactly what he continues to fight for, they prevent him from losing too much of himself to the darkness.

I doubt that the fans are clamoring for everybody in the Batfamily to remain bitter, old spinsters for the rest of their existence. This mandate against marriage in DC is simply ridiculous.
ImageImageImage

Juan Cena
User avatar
DANG!
 
Posts: 32278
Likes: 1 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:03 pm
Location: Nacirema
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning


Re: What? No! Aquaman is not Married to Mera! Why Would You

Postby Juan Cena » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:06 pm

Image
Image

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."


http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

CyclopsWasRight
User avatar
underclassman
 
Posts: 35
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:28 pm
Location: England


Re: What? No! Aquaman is not Married to Mera! Why Would You

Postby CyclopsWasRight » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:32 pm

It's hard to believe this is an actual corporation rather than an obscure webcomic run part-time by a few guys who speak over Skype.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 84 guests

Advertisement