Tuesday, December 6, 2016 • Midnight Edition • "All nerds welcome. Bring your own toilet paper."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Johns Leaves Aquaman, No Drama Ensues

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

TimH

dINGO

Postby TimH » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:16 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:No way, you can't blame us. 9/10 times our articles are more good humored about these issues than the rest of the internet. At least, when I'm writing them, I'm laughing, not angry.


If it weren't for you smart-alecks on the internets, both my Momma and Betty Sue would still be reading that "Hawk and Dove" picture-book by that nice young man, Bobby Liefeld.

It's you computer hacking wiseacres from Poland that ruin everything! Why don't you go pick on somebody your own size, and stay out of my god-blessed America? It ain't no coincidence that every DC picture book--every last one of them--was made in America. Now I don't know what reading material you commies out in Poland have, but I know sure as heck that I ain't gonna let you ruin mine. God bless America! God bless Danny Didio! And god bless Lenticular covers!
User avatar

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:24 pm

I have no evidence at all, but I'm gonna guess that precious lenticular material is made in China.
User avatar

IvCNuB4

Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:49 pm

Interesting reading

http://www.outeraspect.com/history_lenticular.php

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenticular_printing
User avatar

Herald

Hopscotch

Postby Herald » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:54 pm

TimH wrote:
Yeah, I feel like a college girl snookered by a chatty married guy for going ga-ga over Aquaman at issue 9, back-buying the missing issues, and treating the mag as one of the privileged "day and date reads" (that I read in my car while driving out of the LCS parking lot into heavy traffic).

Everything was going great until "Atlanteans Attack!".


Wonder Woman fans could have warned you that any story with a title in which the main character's fellow warriors "Attack!" is going to be bad. :wink:

And yeah the Aquaman "superfriends" jokes started out funny but faded quickly. For one thing, how many of DC's "new readers" have even heard of the Superfriends? "Superfriends? Wasn't that a knock-off of the X-men animated series?"


Dan and the Gang can't decide if the audience they want is a young audience or "45-year-olds"...

We all know that singing Aquaman from the Brave and the Bold cartoon is the one true incarnation of Aquaman! :groucho:


OUTRAGEOUS!! :D
User avatar

alaska1125

dINGO

Postby alaska1125 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:56 pm

TimH wrote:
We all know that singing Aquaman from the Brave and the Bold cartoon is the one true incarnation of Aquaman! :groucho:

Indeed...OUTRAGEOUS!!!
User avatar

holtom2000

dINGO

Postby holtom2000 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:27 pm

Herald wrote:Image

Peter David did a better job of making Aquaman interesting and important, and had a longer run, to boot. And he wrote the book without harping repeatedly on Aquaman's poor reputation due to Superfriends, like Johns did.

Love love love that run.
User avatar

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:39 pm

TimH wrote:
If it weren't for you smart-alecks on the internets, both my Momma and Betty Sue would still be reading that "Hawk and Dove" picture-book by that nice young man, Bobby Liefeld.

It's you computer hacking wiseacres from Poland that ruin everything! Why don't you go pick on somebody your own size, and stay out of my god-blessed America? It ain't no coincidence that every DC picture book--every last one of them--was made in America. Now I don't know what reading material you commies out in Poland have, but I know sure as heck that I ain't gonna let you ruin mine. God bless America! God bless Danny Didio! And god bless Lenticular covers!


User avatar

mrorangesoda

FROGMAN

Postby mrorangesoda » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:56 pm

TimH wrote:We all know that singing Aquaman from the Brave and the Bold cartoon is the one true incarnation of Aquaman! :groucho:


Quoted for truth.

As much as I like Parker's stuff, I don't like Aquaman so I doubt I'll check it out- unless it turns into BatB Aquaman, in which case I'm so in
User avatar

CyclopsWasRight

underclassman

Postby CyclopsWasRight » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:05 am

Why does everyone hate Johns? I get why people hate Bendis, like the Bendisspeak and horrible decompression, but what are Johns things that he's notorious for?
User avatar

holtom2000

dINGO

Postby holtom2000 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:54 am

CyclopsWasRight wrote:Why does everyone hate Johns? I get why people hate Bendis, like the Bendisspeak and horrible decompression, but what are Johns things that he's notorious for?


I don't hate him, but he built a rep as a guy who could rehab just about anyone and fit them into continuity (ie Hawkman, the JSA, Cyborg (when he was that stupid gold thing)
then he joined the throw the baby out with the bathwater club - oh wait, unless you're Johns, then your GL stuff is still cannon, even if some of the components were changes (ie Cyborg Superman)
He's the guy that ditched the previous universe... except for what he wanted to keep. that doesn't impress me
User avatar

SporkBot

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby SporkBot » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:22 am

CyclopsWasRight wrote:Why does everyone hate Johns? I get why people hate Bendis, like the Bendisspeak and horrible decompression, but what are Johns things that he's notorious for?


While I can't say I've seen it myself, some people think that he's got a weird affectation towards villains. The claim is that he makes them all (the ones he writes) too sympathetic when some of them have traditionally been evil monsters.

My problem, though...I wonder just what happened to him. His Teen Titans run was great to read, but his New52 JL run isn't as much. It's not without some value, but it's just...missing something. I've liked is Aquaman run, though, even if he reused that scene from Brightest Day when Arthur's brow proved how bullet resistant he is.

Though I wonder who exactly thought Captain Marvel needed to be rebooted the way he was. I didn't care for the retelling of his origin, mostly because, while it was well told, it didn't seem to fit the character and why people got to like him in the first place. Yes, the Big Red Cheese is campy and corny and so on, but that's what people liked about him. His New52 look, makes it seem like he's going to ram an electrified fist down someone's throat. At least Batman Beyond retains that quality...
User avatar

holtom2000

dINGO

Postby holtom2000 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:02 am

SporkBot wrote:
While I can't say I've seen it myself, some people think that he's got a weird affectation towards villains. The claim is that he makes them all (the ones he writes) too sympathetic when some of them have traditionally been evil monsters.

My problem, though...I wonder just what happened to him. His Teen Titans run was great to read, but his New52 JL run isn't as much. It's not without some value, but it's just...missing something. I've liked is Aquaman run, though, even if he reused that scene from Brightest Day when Arthur's brow proved how bullet resistant he is.

Though I wonder who exactly thought Captain Marvel needed to be rebooted the way he was. I didn't care for the retelling of his origin, mostly because, while it was well told, it didn't seem to fit the character and why people got to like him in the first place. Yes, the Big Red Cheese is campy and corny and so on, but that's what people liked about him. His New52 look, makes it seem like he's going to ram an electrified fist down someone's throat. At least Batman Beyond retains that quality...



Johns wrote two good JLA stories - the one before crisis where the satellite league argues about the mindwipe, and the JSA/JLA hard cover.
His current run? despite the sales, no one's putting it up there with Conway, Morrison or Giffen-Demaittes runs... heck, it's not even as good as Metzler's run, and that wasn't exactly a home run either.
User avatar

mrorangesoda

FROGMAN

Postby mrorangesoda » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:13 pm

CyclopsWasRight wrote:Why does everyone hate Johns? I get why people hate Bendis, like the Bendisspeak and horrible decompression, but what are Johns things that he's notorious for?


An obsession with continuity (did we need a reason Barry Allen wears a bow tie?) and childhood trauma, dull characterization (read Young Justice alongside his Teen Titans), and his love of gore used to be the main criticisms of his writing.

Now, I think it's that the Justice League books have been pretty bad on multiple levels and have featured "the world's greatest heroes" never acting like heroes (strange considering that they all do pretty well at being heroes in their own books- even the one written by Johns).
User avatar

misac

Outhouse Editor

Postby misac » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:35 pm

mrorangesoda wrote:
Quoted for truth.

As much as I like Parker's stuff, I don't like Aquaman so I doubt I'll check it out- unless it turns into BatB Aquaman, in which case I'm so in


I liked his run on Red Hulk. And Aquaman isn’t as terrible a character as Red Hulk. :P
User avatar

Charles Sherwood Morrill

FACEBOOKTron

Postby Charles Sherwood Morrill » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:37 am

I will stop after his run is over. It will be my last DC book.

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media and 63 guests