Advertisement

Johns Leaves Aquaman, No Drama Ensues

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

TimH
cheese

Liked in: 183 posts

Re: Johns Leaves Aquaman, No Drama Ensues

Postby TimH » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:16 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:No way, you can't blame us. 9/10 times our articles are more good humored about these issues than the rest of the internet. At least, when I'm writing them, I'm laughing, not angry.

If it weren't for you smart-alecks on the internets, both my Momma and Betty Sue would still be reading that "Hawk and Dove" picture-book by that nice young man, Bobby Liefeld.

It's you computer hacking wiseacres from Poland that ruin everything! Why don't you go pick on somebody your own size, and stay out of my god-blessed America? It ain't no coincidence that every DC picture book--every last one of them--was made in America. Now I don't know what reading material you commies out in Poland have, but I know sure as heck that I ain't gonna let you ruin mine. God bless America! God bless Danny Didio! And god bless Lenticular covers!

Advertisement

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 627 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:24 pm

I have no evidence at all, but I'm gonna guess that precious lenticular material is made in China.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 293 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:49 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Herald
biny little tird

Liked in: 275 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:54 pm

TimH wrote:
Yeah, I feel like a college girl snookered by a chatty married guy for going ga-ga over Aquaman at issue 9, back-buying the missing issues, and treating the mag as one of the privileged "day and date reads" (that I read in my car while driving out of the LCS parking lot into heavy traffic).

Everything was going great until "Atlanteans Attack!".

Wonder Woman fans could have warned you that any story with a title in which the main character's fellow warriors "Attack!" is going to be bad. :wink:

And yeah the Aquaman "superfriends" jokes started out funny but faded quickly. For one thing, how many of DC's "new readers" have even heard of the Superfriends? "Superfriends? Wasn't that a knock-off of the X-men animated series?"

Dan and the Gang can't decide if the audience they want is a young audience or "45-year-olds"...

We all know that singing Aquaman from the Brave and the Bold cartoon is the one true incarnation of Aquaman! :groucho:

OUTRAGEOUS!! :D

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 129 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:56 pm

TimH wrote:
We all know that singing Aquaman from the Brave and the Bold cartoon is the one true incarnation of Aquaman! :groucho:

Indeed...OUTRAGEOUS!!!

holtom2000
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby holtom2000 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:27 pm

Herald wrote:Image

Peter David did a better job of making Aquaman interesting and important, and had a longer run, to boot. And he wrote the book without harping repeatedly on Aquaman's poor reputation due to Superfriends, like Johns did.

Love love love that run.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 108 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:39 pm

TimH wrote:
If it weren't for you smart-alecks on the internets, both my Momma and Betty Sue would still be reading that "Hawk and Dove" picture-book by that nice young man, Bobby Liefeld.

It's you computer hacking wiseacres from Poland that ruin everything! Why don't you go pick on somebody your own size, and stay out of my god-blessed America? It ain't no coincidence that every DC picture book--every last one of them--was made in America. Now I don't know what reading material you commies out in Poland have, but I know sure as heck that I ain't gonna let you ruin mine. God bless America! God bless Danny Didio! And god bless Lenticular covers!

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

mrorangesoda
FROGMAN

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Be the leaf

Postby mrorangesoda » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:56 pm

TimH wrote:We all know that singing Aquaman from the Brave and the Bold cartoon is the one true incarnation of Aquaman! :groucho:

Quoted for truth.

As much as I like Parker's stuff, I don't like Aquaman so I doubt I'll check it out- unless it turns into BatB Aquaman, in which case I'm so in

CyclopsWasRight
underclassman

Postby CyclopsWasRight » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:05 am

Why does everyone hate Johns? I get why people hate Bendis, like the Bendisspeak and horrible decompression, but what are Johns things that he's notorious for?

holtom2000
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby holtom2000 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:54 am

CyclopsWasRight wrote:Why does everyone hate Johns? I get why people hate Bendis, like the Bendisspeak and horrible decompression, but what are Johns things that he's notorious for?

I don't hate him, but he built a rep as a guy who could rehab just about anyone and fit them into continuity (ie Hawkman, the JSA, Cyborg (when he was that stupid gold thing)
then he joined the throw the baby out with the bathwater club - oh wait, unless you're Johns, then your GL stuff is still cannon, even if some of the components were changes (ie Cyborg Superman)
He's the guy that ditched the previous universe... except for what he wanted to keep. that doesn't impress me

SporkBot
Post Whore

Liked in: 204 posts
Title: Stupidity Immolator

Postby SporkBot » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:22 am

CyclopsWasRight wrote:Why does everyone hate Johns? I get why people hate Bendis, like the Bendisspeak and horrible decompression, but what are Johns things that he's notorious for?

While I can't say I've seen it myself, some people think that he's got a weird affectation towards villains. The claim is that he makes them all (the ones he writes) too sympathetic when some of them have traditionally been evil monsters.

My problem, though...I wonder just what happened to him. His Teen Titans run was great to read, but his New52 JL run isn't as much. It's not without some value, but it's just...missing something. I've liked is Aquaman run, though, even if he reused that scene from Brightest Day when Arthur's brow proved how bullet resistant he is.

Though I wonder who exactly thought Captain Marvel needed to be rebooted the way he was. I didn't care for the retelling of his origin, mostly because, while it was well told, it didn't seem to fit the character and why people got to like him in the first place. Yes, the Big Red Cheese is campy and corny and so on, but that's what people liked about him. His New52 look, makes it seem like he's going to ram an electrified fist down someone's throat. At least Batman Beyond retains that quality...

holtom2000
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby holtom2000 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:02 am

SporkBot wrote:
While I can't say I've seen it myself, some people think that he's got a weird affectation towards villains. The claim is that he makes them all (the ones he writes) too sympathetic when some of them have traditionally been evil monsters.

My problem, though...I wonder just what happened to him. His Teen Titans run was great to read, but his New52 JL run isn't as much. It's not without some value, but it's just...missing something. I've liked is Aquaman run, though, even if he reused that scene from Brightest Day when Arthur's brow proved how bullet resistant he is.

Though I wonder who exactly thought Captain Marvel needed to be rebooted the way he was. I didn't care for the retelling of his origin, mostly because, while it was well told, it didn't seem to fit the character and why people got to like him in the first place. Yes, the Big Red Cheese is campy and corny and so on, but that's what people liked about him. His New52 look, makes it seem like he's going to ram an electrified fist down someone's throat. At least Batman Beyond retains that quality...

Johns wrote two good JLA stories - the one before crisis where the satellite league argues about the mindwipe, and the JSA/JLA hard cover.
His current run? despite the sales, no one's putting it up there with Conway, Morrison or Giffen-Demaittes runs... heck, it's not even as good as Metzler's run, and that wasn't exactly a home run either.

mrorangesoda
FROGMAN

Title: Be the leaf

Postby mrorangesoda » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:13 pm

An obsession with continuity (did we need a reason Barry Allen wears a bow tie?) and childhood trauma, dull characterization (read Young Justice alongside his Teen Titans), and his love of gore used to be the main criticisms of his writing.

Now, I think it's that the Justice League books have been pretty bad on multiple levels and have featured "the world's greatest heroes" never acting like heroes (strange considering that they all do pretty well at being heroes in their own books- even the one written by Johns).

misac
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 76 posts

Postby misac » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:35 pm

mrorangesoda wrote:
Quoted for truth.

As much as I like Parker's stuff, I don't like Aquaman so I doubt I'll check it out- unless it turns into BatB Aquaman, in which case I'm so in

I liked his run on Red Hulk. And Aquaman isn’t as terrible a character as Red Hulk. :P

Charles Sherwood Morrill
FACEBOOKTron

Liked in: 135 posts
Title: DOCILE ROBOT

RE: Johns Leaves Aquaman, No Drama Ensues

Postby Charles Sherwood Morrill » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:37 am

I will stop after his run is over. It will be my last DC book.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand