Advertisement

Justice League #23.1 - Darkseid (Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 89 posts
Title: Shitlord

Justice League #23.1 - Darkseid (Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:22 am

Just like a lot of the Villain’s Month books, I think this one is mis-titled. Yes, Darkseid was the villain of the first arc of this book, but this issue was written by Greg Pak and ties heavily into the first arc of his Batman/Superman run, so really, readers of that title should be directed to this issue, not readers of Justice League. Man, this is getting confusing.

This issue starts with the origin of Darkseid, we see him before he became a New God, as Uxas, and we see how he kills the Old Gods and steals their powers, becoming Darkseid, as well as how his brother-in-law became Highfather. I’ve never actually read the original Jack Kirby Fourth World stories (I know, I know, I’m going to rectify that soon) so I don’t know how much of this was a re-telling or a massive retconning, but either way, it was interesting and Paulo Siquera’s art was fantastic, that one splash-page where we see Uxas transformed into Darkseid was awesome. I’ve always quite liked Siquera’s style, but here, with no inks, it looked spectacular.

After establishing Darkseid and Apokolips, Pak then shows us why Darkseid has attacked in books like Earth 2 and Justice League. Kaiyo, the trickster and current villain in Batman/Superman has been leading him through the multiverse, where he kills the heroes he sees, until he comes across the New 52 and is defeated, as we saw in Justice League #1 to #6.

I did find a little weird how the reason the New 52 JL were able to defeat him was because they were ‘younger, rougher and crazier’, that just shows how EXTREME and 90s this new era of DC can actually be.

Once again, this book made me realise that I really do have to get around to reading Earth 2 soon, and the last page was also very interesting, as we see that Darkseid has imprisoned a Superman. Which Superman? Is Earth 2 Superman still alive? Who knows.

Darkseid is one of the best villains in comics, so I for one was glad to see his origins, now to read the original stories and see how furious I can become at DC changing them.

Advertisement

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 414 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Re: Justice League #23.1 - Darkseid (Spoilers)

Postby IvCNuB4 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:57 am

I think you're getting confused by the Villain issues because you're trying to tie these specifically to what's currently happening in the DCU when the point of these issues is to also give back stories and origins to the villains. Darkseid's first appearance was in "Justice League" and now we know it was because he first discovered Earth 2. There was a one-off line by Superman in "JL" way back when he was captured by Darkseid about seeing alternate Earth versions of himself. And I believe Darkseid made a comment then about finding a mate for his daughter. The last page of this issue shows that Darkseid has been
[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
"collecting" alternate-universe Supermen and,if I'm interpreting that last panel correctly, possibly building one of his own.
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:20 pm

The Kirby background was a lot more esoteric. This issue felt like the Cliff Notes to the new mythology. I didn't really enjoy it much as a comic book, though.

eltopo
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 1 post
Title: The greatest poster ever
Formerly: Mister Fister, Johhny Assplay,TerriG

Postby eltopo » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:14 pm

so darksied is basically Kratos from god of war ? I know nothing about the new gods is this close to the same origin as the Kirby original ?

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 388 posts

Postby Draco x » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:18 pm

eltopo wrote:so darksied is basically Kratos from god of war ? I know nothing about the new gods is this close to the same origin as the Kirby original ?

The Kirby origin is way better, trust me.

eltopo
Twenty-Something

Postby eltopo » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:31 pm

Draco x wrote:
The Kirby origin is way better, trust me.

I trust you

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:05 pm

This did not feel mythic or epic in scale at all, neither the art or writing gave it any gravitas considering the subject matter.

I would hate to be in the position of having to rewrite Kirby in one issue, that's for sure. But I hated reading someone else do it too.

My favorite Darkseid is in the cartoon Galactic Guardians Super Powers Team, where Darkseid talks like Cookie Monster and tries to bang Wonder Woman.
Last edited by Victorian Squid on Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:09 pm

That cartoon has a classic Cyborg intro too where he is walking to the b-ball court with a kid who has a prosthetic leg who says, "I can't wait until one day I can play basketball again!"

And Cyborg says--no lie--"Pssh, yeah, haha. Magic Johnson, look out." He could make the kid a new leg like his own, but instead he delivers a burn. :lol:

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 117 posts

Postby MrBlack » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:19 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:That cartoon has a classic Cyborg intro too where he is walking to the b-ball court with a kid who has a prosthetic leg who says, "I can't wait until one day I can play basketball again!"

And Cyborg says--no lie--"Pssh, yeah, haha. Magic Johnson, look out." He could make the kid a new leg like his own, but instead he delivers a burn. :lol:

:lol:

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 255 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:46 pm

eltopo wrote:so darksied is basically Kratos from god of war ? I know nothing about the new gods is this close to the same origin as the Kirby original ?

The Kratos analogy actually seems spot on =O

holtom2000
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 72 posts

Postby holtom2000 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:09 pm

MrBlack wrote:

that lex has such an evil laugh ....

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:09 pm

MrBlack wrote:

There it is! It'd take him, what, 10 minutes to put together a decent leg for that kid?!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:10 pm

holtom2000 wrote:

that lex has such an evil laugh ....

Everyone is nuts. It's probably my favorite iteration of the DCU right after the Sea World waterski show.

eltopo
Twenty-Something

Postby eltopo » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:05 am

fieldy snuts wrote:
The Kratos analogy actually seems spot on =O

reading this comic it was the first thing that came to mind

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 255 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:47 am

eltopo wrote:reading this comic it was the first thing that came to mind

leave it to dc to give their version of evil incarnate the geoff johns sympathetic villain treatment :roll:
Last edited by fieldy snuts on Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand