Advertisement

5.2 Reasons Not to Fire Dan Didio

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 976 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Re: 5.2 Reasons Not to Fire Dan Didio

Postby The Old Doctor » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:02 pm

5.3 - He'll be a permanent fixture here posting endlessly in each and every thread.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Old Doctor is the NuDCU's Catscratch

Advertisement

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 969 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:09 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:5.3 - He'll be a permanent fixture here posting endlessly in each and every thread.

What will happen when the POWER of EDITORIAL INTERFERENCE faces off against the FURY of MAWD ABUSE! The Outhouse Universe will NEVER BE THE SAME AGAIN!!!
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Spektre likes this post.

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 45 posts
Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse

Postby bkthomson » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:16 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
What will happen when the POWER of EDITORIAL INTERFERENCE faces off against the FURY of MAWD ABUSE! The Outhouse Universe will NEVER BE THE SAME AGAIN!!!

I can take him. . .
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 239 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:17 pm

5.4 He and Herald can finally get it over with and hate-fuck.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:31 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:

:lol:

For some reason, I imagined LS dressed up like Darkseid.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:34 pm

nietoperz wrote:5.4 He and Herald can finally get it over with and hate-fuck.

Eww.

That could produce an offspring that could only be described as a Lovecraftian Kaiju with a Asian women with big breasts fixation.

Herald
Fagorstorm

Liked in: 373 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:11 pm

So that's the kind of thing you think about, huh?? While I congratulate you on your honesty, and I am mildly flattered that I'm part of your fantasy world, don't bet on this -- your greatest dream, I'm sure -- to come true. :P

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 769 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: cyclone, Chili con Blarney

Postby outsider » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:32 pm

nietoperz wrote:What DC needs is someone like Joe Quesada to come in with an eye that is both commercial and creative, in order to properly revitalise the line.
Bill Jemas?
-

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 969 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:45 pm

I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

HNutz likes this post.

Herald
Fagorstorm

Postby Herald » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:05 pm

LOLtron wrote:1. He could be replaced by someone worse!

I'll GLADLY take that chance!

Before Didio was Co-Publisher, he was Editor in Chief. DC's current Editor in Chief is Bob Harras. Do the math, people! Does anyone want to see Harras move up in the ranks?

Which is why ALL the people currently in charge have to go, along with Dan.

2. "Didio" lends itself to so many puns. Dan Dildo. The Didiot. Darth Didius. Fandom has been perfecting derogatory puns on Didio's name for over a decade now. Do you want all that work to go to waste? Do you want to start over at square one?

I'll take that chance, too! :P

3. We really like all the unique hits he brings us. Seriously, since The Outhouse became the de facto place to go to find out how DC has hilariously embarrassed themselves in public, we've been riding high on an unprecedented wave of web traffic, and the rest of the comics media, as much as they like to pretend they're above it all, has been doing the same. Do you want that to all go away? Do you want to end a creative renaissance for the comics blogosphere just to satisfy your thirst for vengeance? Nevermind Dan's livelihood… think about the bloggers! We'd have nothing to write about. Do you really want us to have to bring back Idiot's Guide Weekly?

Comedians, political cartoonists, etc. had similar concerns when Dubya was ousted from the Presidency. They found other things to joke about, and so will you. :wink:

4. The old DCU ain't coming back.

Sorry, I ain't buying into your pessimism.

Sales-wise, the reboot has been a success

So you SAY, and yet, they STILL can't beat Marvel on a monthly basis. PATHETIC.

and, in fact, reboots in general are a standard practice in the entertainment industry.

Marvel, DC's competition, hasn't rebooted, and again, they're STILL whooping Dan and the Gang's @$$es more months than not.

You see the same kind of thinking about iconic characters and the 'illusion of change' at Marvel as well and it reflects the attitude of pretty much all corporate intellectual property owners in the age of cross-branding and global marketing. Warner Bros. is not going to change their minds to suit the whims of a relatively small readership.

Warner Bros. isn't nearly as interested in "cross-branding and global marketing" as you claim. Notice the "Beware the Batman" series:

Where's Jimmy Lee and friends' DCnU character redesigns?? Why isn't Katana BLUE in the face, like in her poorly-written Ann Nocenti book??

Also, why isn't Beast Boy RED in the Teen Titans Go! series that airs after Beware the Batman every week?? Why isn't the Starfire in that series an amnesia-prone, horny fantasy girl?! Seems that synergy with the DCnU isn't infesting other projects featuring these characters, like you claim.

And WB's licensees have also demonstrated that they aren't interested in Jimmy Lee's high collars and seam lines everywhere. For example, here's the recent Flying Heroes toys:

That company went with the CLASSIC, RECOGNIZABLE Superman and Batman character designs, and rightly so.

So much for following Dan and the Gang's DCnU...

There's much more money to made in movies and TV

NONE of whose projects follow the DCnU notion of the characters, as I've already demonstrated. Not even the current live-action movies' "Snyderman" is really patterned after "Nuperman"!

If you want to get rid of Dan because you think it'll bring back all that lost continuity you miss so much, you're going to end up very disappointed.

I'll TAKE the CHANCE!!

5. Just look at that face. Look at it!

I did. And I'm sending you my therapy bill for making me do so. :P

You wouldn't want to see a sad Didio, would you? Would you?!

Yes. Yes, I would. :twisted:

Awwww! Nobody wants to see that.

YES. YES, I WOULD. :twisted: :twisted:

5.1 The Didio regime ushered in the convention of 5.2 lists on the DC Blog. Before that, we would have had to come up with 10 reasons not to fire Didio, and, let's face it, that would have been a stretch.

Which is why you shouldn't have undertaken such an impossible task in the first place. :P

Thanks to Dan's arithmomaniac obsession with the number 52, there are three less reasons we need to come up with to make this list, and for that alone, Didio deserves to stay.

Nah, we can just hop into the ol' DeLorean, go back in time, and stop him from joining DC in the first place. That would keep all the destruction he's wrought from ever happening, and you wouldn't have even had to make this 5.2 list. "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." :twisted:

5.2 How much of this is really Dan's fault, anyway?

From what I hear, rebooting was Dan's idea from the get-go. He wanted to do it after Final Crisis.

Dan's job as Co-Publisher is to make sure that DC makes money publishing comics.

Dan has also insisted on writing some of the comics, before and during the DCnU. That's his fault, too.

Geoff Johns is the Chief Creative Officer. If you don't like the direction of the comics, shouldn't it be Johns we're all bitching about on the Twitter.

I, for one, give Mr. Johns his share of grief for this mess, too.

Either way, it's beside the point. We doubt the blame for DC can be laid at the feet of any one person.

So, again: FIRE THEM ALL!! :twisted:

More likely than not, the editorial clusterfuck at DC is the result of a managerial clusterfuck at Warner Bros., and if heads haven't rolled yet, what makes anyone think they're going to now?

More pessimism on your part.

"That's just the way it is!"
"Some things'll never change!"
"That's just the way it is!"
Ah, but don't you believe them... :wink:

If DC's parent company wasn't happy with the performance of DC after all this time, they would have changed things up by now. Instead, when DCE was formed, everyone in the current regime got a promotion, and they added Bob freaking Harras to boot.

The Dilbert Principle:

"...incompetent workers will be promoted above competent workers to managerial positions where they thus don't have to do any real work and the damage they do can be limited. Or, in other words, people who least deserve to be promoted (or most deserve to be fired) will be promoted in place of those who most deserve promotion."

That's why Dan and the Gang are the Pointy-Haired Bosses. Unfortunately, the tactic backfired; it turns out that Dan and the Gang can do LOTS of damage in managerial positions. They have a real talent for screwing up good things.

Dan and the Gang are producing is exactly what WB is looking for, which in turn means that anyone brought on to replace Dan would be expected to implement those same strategies.

No, Dan and the Gang are doing whatever they want, and WB Animation and Warners licensees are wisely ignoring them, as I mentioned earlier.

Things would be unlikely to get any better.

I'LL TAKE THAT CHANCE!! :twisted:

At least Dan seems to genuinely like comics

I genuinely like comics; would you like to see ME in charge of DC?? :twisted:

and seems like a fairly good-natured guy when he's not completely blowing it on Twitter.

Smiling faces sometimes
PRETEND to be your friend...
Smiling faces show no traces
Of the evil that lurks within...

Better the devil you know, and all that...

I will TAKE the @#$%ing CHANCE!!
Last edited by Herald on Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:12 pm

Herald... he's not here yet. Save it for then.

Herald
Fagorstorm

Postby Herald » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:24 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:Herald... he's not here yet. Save it for then.

"Let ME have him!!! Send him DOWN!!! Give him to me NOW!!! HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!"

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Chesscub
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 7 posts
Title: Bear du jour

Postby Chesscub » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:56 pm

My brother had him sign the last issue of Batman and the Outsiders. Didio was like "oh, you're the one that bought it"

I told my brother afterwards that he should've told Didio that his name was Herald.

SporkBot
cheese

Liked in: 294 posts
Title: Stupidity Immolator

Postby SporkBot » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:20 pm

Herald wrote:The Dilbert Principle:

"...incompetent workers will be promoted above competent workers to managerial positions where they thus don't have to do any real work and the damage they do can be limited. Or, in other words, people who least deserve to be promoted (or most deserve to be fired) will be promoted in place of those who most deserve promotion."

I swear, I once had a manager that fit this description to a tee. Glad he only lasted 8 months.

Herald
Fagorstorm

Postby Herald » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:08 pm

Chesscub wrote:
My brother had him sign the last issue of Batman and the Outsiders. Didio was like "oh, you're the one that bought it"

Your poor brother... I can't imagine the suffering he went through reading it... :-(

I told my brother afterwards that he should've told Didio that his name was Herald.

Indeed. :twisted:

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand