Advertisement

5.2 Reasons Not to Fire Dan Didio

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Chesscub
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 5 posts
Title: Bear du jour

Re: 5.2 Reasons Not to Fire Dan Didio

Postby Chesscub » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:15 pm

Herald wrote:
Your poor brother... I can't imagine the suffering he went through reading it... :-(

Indeed. :twisted:

Actually, he hasn't read it yet. He's so far behind on his reading, it'll be 2020 before he gets to it. His to be read pile is worse than mine. I explained to him about "Harold Whiner"

OMG, that's who's under hood in Forever Evil #1! :shock:

Advertisement

Herald
biny little tird

Liked in: 206 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:34 pm

Chesscub wrote:
Actually, he hasn't read it yet. He's so far behind on his reading, it'll be 2020 before he gets to it. His to be read pile is worse than mine.

Then there IS hope of saving his sanity! :D

I explained to him about "Harold Whiner"

OMG, that's who's under hood in Forever Evil #1! :shock:

IvC mentioned that on another thread. I think it's cool that the Crime Syndicate is more afraid of me than the DCnU heroes. 8)

Steve McCredie
FACEBOOKTron

Liked in: 108 posts
Title: DOCILE ROBOT

RE: 5.2 Reasons Not to Fire Dan Didio

Postby Steve McCredie » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:39 pm

"relatively small readership" would mean everyone who enjoyed DC before The New 52 and doesn't now. I'd be interested to know how well ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN and BATMAN BLACK AND WHITE are selling, since they're the stubborn relics at the moment. Actually they're too new to be relics. Make that "reluctant corporate concessions to the grumpy old readership that includes me".
But at any rate, I'll never bother with Alfoil Superman, Danny Boy. Whoever. Just so we're clear.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 93 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:30 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:
:lol:

For some reason, I imagined LS dressed up like Darkseid.

Stoney face is back.

Staxth Kai Burberry
FACEBOOKTron

Postby Staxth Kai Burberry » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:19 am

Dear Outhouse, in case you do not know in August '13 DC sold LESS units and grossed LESS dollars(despite the all the promo price hike) than August '11, right before the reboot. So NO, the New 52 is NOT a success!

Chessack
cheese

Liked in: 268 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Postby Chessack » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:40 am

Wow, that is a pretty interesting statistic.

And in a small way, perhaps slightly restores my faith in the comic-reading public. Maybe more of us have good taste than I thought.

SporkBot
Rorshach Test Subject

Liked in: 164 posts
Title: Stupidity Immolator

Re: RE: 5.2 Reasons Not to Fire Dan Didio

Postby SporkBot » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:14 am

FBtron wrote:Dear Outhouse, in case you do not know in August '13 DC sold LESS units and grossed LESS dollars(despite the all the promo price hike) than August '11, right before the reboot. So NO, the New 52 is NOT a success!

Not in the long term, it seems. #1 issues sell well because of the illusion of a fresher start over just starting a new arc and maintaining the numbering (excluding titles that get cancelled for years before reviving). DC figured they could kill multiple birds (boost sales, get younger readers, indulge their fan-fiction-style desires) with a single stone (reboot). Looks like the wind shifted and sent that stone right back in their faces.

Question is...how will they learn from this, if at all?

jarthurradley likes this post.

Draco x
FROGMAN

Liked in: 201 posts

Postby Draco x » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:16 am

SporkBot wrote:
Not in the long term, it seems. #1 issues sell well because of the illusion of a fresher start over just starting a new arc and maintaining the numbering (excluding titles that get cancelled for years before reviving). DC figured they could kill multiple birds (boost sales, get younger readers, indulge their fan-fiction-style desires) with a single stone (reboot). Looks like the wind shifted and sent that stone right back in their faces.

DC and the concept of learning are an oxymoron, bro. If they hired screw-ups like Didio and Harras, I doubt they will get it anytime soon.

Chessack
cheese

Liked in: 268 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Postby Chessack » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:42 am

SporkBot wrote:Not in the long term, it seems. #1 issues sell well because of the illusion of a fresher start over just starting a new arc and maintaining the numbering (excluding titles that get cancelled for years before reviving). DC figured they could kill multiple birds (boost sales, get younger readers, indulge their fan-fiction-style desires) with a single stone (reboot). Looks like the wind shifted and sent that stone right back in their faces.

This is the thing about gimmicks. A gimmick sells more in the short term, but only in the short term. If the stories and art are not good enough, the people who bought issue 1-2 don't stick. And on top of the ones who don't stick, the gimmick turns off an unquantifiable number of people who would have stayed with the series if not for all the gimmicks. Anecdotal example: All the gimmicks this year (Throne, Trinity War, etc) with JL turned me off that series. I would have stayed with it a while longer, probably, because the stuff in between the gimmicks hasn't been bad, but I dropped JL because TW was just one gimmick too many. (And of course, partly because I knew that with VM and Forever Evil, there were only more gimmicks coming down the pike.)

Similarly with a lot of the family-wide crossovers, if you look at sales, the books are doing X sales before the crossover, and jump up to X + Y sales during. But as soon as the crossover is done, they don't drop back to X, but they drop further (to X - Z). Which means that although there is a boost for a couple of months during the crossover, in the long run, there is a cumulative loss of readership that builds up, bit by bit, as readers get fed up with the gimmicks that are doing nothing to help the quality of the book.

The numbers therefore suggest that gimmicks bring them in the door, but only quality keeps people on board.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 539 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:13 am

FBtron wrote:Dear Outhouse, in case you do not know in August '13 DC sold LESS units and grossed LESS dollars(despite the all the promo price hike) than August '11, right before the reboot. So NO, the New 52 is NOT a success!

We actually talked about that in the Outhouse newsroom but, to the best of our knowledge, those stats only include the top 100 comics, not all comics, so we were not able to confirm whether August was the tipping point. Plus, there is sure to be a boost for these 3D covers this month.

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 28 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:59 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
We actually talked about that in the Outhouse newsroom but, to the best of our knowledge, those stats only include the top 100 comics, not all comics, so we were not able to confirm whether August was the tipping point. Plus, there is sure to be a boost for these 3D covers this month.

Also, DC's top-selling comic in August 2011 was Justice League #1, a New 52 title. Taking those sales out puts August 2013 numbers ahead.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 93 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:02 pm

SporkBot wrote:

Seems to me they are slow learners...

J Arthur Radley
FACEBOOKTron

Postby J Arthur Radley » Tue May 13, 2014 6:44 pm

Warner Bros. and the rest of DC Entertainment don't care about DC Comics. They say they do but they don't. They aren't even paying attention to DC Comics unless there's a movie or Tv Show that needs some incorporation or corporate synergy in the comics. Otherwise Didio runs DC exactly how he wants which is why Bob Harras and other throwbacks from decades dead are back.

Didio is guiding DC Comics how he wants. Geoff Johns has nothing to do with the comics except the comics he writes. He has said quite often he has no control over the comics group. It's wide know that there is a disconnect between Johns and Didio.

Why do you think so many DC folks are jumping ship before the move? It's not just because they don't want to be in California. They don't want to be stuck in California with apathetic leadership from Warner Bros. and Didio running day to day. It's sad all around.

pimping my own tumblr about this mess:
http://jarthursrad.tumblr.com/post/85472869094/why-dc-comics-doesnt-care-about-you-and-nor-should

achilles
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 132 posts
Title: Much Eviler Than GOSD!

Postby achilles » Tue May 13, 2014 8:33 pm

Chessack wrote:Although I think that DC does seem to be in the process of slowly self-destructing, I don't think you can say that they have already destroyed themselves and pushed fans away. Their sales are fairly strong -- no, not where they were right when New 52 launched, but about where they were a couple of years before that. Perennially second to Marvel, but still selling fairly well. It's hard to look at sales numbers and argue that they have "pushed away fans." They've pushed away people like us -- but clearly tens of thousands of people are out there scarfing up 3D covers and Forever Evils.

I think this will be short-lived, and that in the long run this whole run that DC is having right now is going to be seen as the beginning of a decline. But in terms of sales the effects have not been felt yet.

And yet as I've said, the signs of stress are there, with Didio and Nelson issuing their various versions of "no, we're not quite dead yet" speeches. There's got to be some pressure from somewhere behind that.
Achilles is the kind of evil that hollows out a volcano for a lair, and sends killer robots after his enemies.---Lord Simian

achilles
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 132 posts
Title: Much Eviler Than GOSD!

Postby achilles » Tue May 13, 2014 8:35 pm

Draco x wrote:I do agree with the first point here as even if they got rid of Didio they would replace him with someone much worst like Harras obviously. DC's internal problems started before Didio came as he's just the end-result of another line of bad decisions made at that company as someone made the decision to hire him. The real blame lies within the higher ups at WB and DC as they have no clue what to do with their characters except Batman who is their be-all, end-all franchise-wise. Does anyone notice that Diane Nelson and co have kept Didio on this long due to the fact that they believe he's doing a good job and don't care how many mishaps have happened under his tenure as long as they keep making money off of DC. I am all for getting rid of Didio but I don't believe that his departure will mean things will get better there.

Nelson is a puzzler. She has no history in the biz, never read a comic, much less wrote one---so why the hell hire someone like her?
Achilles is the kind of evil that hollows out a volcano for a lair, and sends killer robots after his enemies.---Lord Simian

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand