Advertisement

What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post
Formerly: Schmormerly

Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:41 pm

covalesky wrote:I've been reading the massive. Its not bad, Just boring.

High five on that one.

Advertisement

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 625 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:57 pm

Battle Chasers: A Gathering of Heroes - I had forgotten that I had this trade until I was looking at my bookshelves last night and saw it, so I decided to give it a quick read. It's a fun book, the writing isn't exactly the greatest, especially by today's standards but it accomplishes what it set out to do. It tells an epic fantasy setting in the style of what every dungeon master wants to accomplish when they painstakingly set-up their Dungeons and Dragons campaign. The characters are intriguing enough and a strong foundation is placed to develop a rich world and interesting stories. A pity that the series was never finished.

Obviously the real highlight of the book is the art of Joe Madureira's at the peak of his career. If you like his style, this is a quick read that you should really enjoy, however, the series was never finished. This volume only collects the first 5 issues of the series, so there are still 4 issues to track down but that's it. There is no satisfying conclusion coming.
ImageImageImage

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 93 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:16 pm

covalesky wrote:I've been reading the massive. Its not bad, Just boring.

Did you get to read what I said about The Massive a few months ago?

A friend of mine bought the first 6, 7 issues and I read them. I didn't like them. Why?

Because while the artist of the first arc wasn't anything special he still had some good moments, the current artist is kind of bad. Besides, the story is moving so slowly that gives a whole new meaning to the term 'decompression'.

Wood has put a lot of thought into the series, he has created a world with lots of things in it, and that's good, but he hasn't worried about creating characters. So basically you get a book about interesting ideas and concepts regarding an alternate future and that's it. For a reader to feel engaged into the story you need characters, you need a certain level of emotion. Or else it just feels like you're reading an awfully boring academic paper. And believe me, in my university I've read so many of them that I got sick and bored to death of this kind of stuff.

Seems like we both used the term boring.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 206 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:18 am

Read Chew vol. 7: Bad Apples last night. Fucking in-jokes are the best but will ultimately be the death of this series. I kind of hope they shorten the projected length of the series from 60 to 50 issues because storylines are rampaging and shit seems to be set to go down. The muscle-posters with Kirkman's head photoshopped on them made me laugh for a good 5 minutes.

covalesky
Expert Post Whore

Postby covalesky » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:23 am

Arion wrote:
Did you get to read what I said about The Massive a few months ago?

A friend of mine bought the first 6, 7 issues and I read them. I didn't like them. Why?

Because while the artist of the first arc wasn't anything special he still had some good moments, the current artist is kind of bad. Besides, the story is moving so slowly that gives a whole new meaning to the term 'decompression'.

Wood has put a lot of thought into the series, he has created a world with lots of things in it, and that's good, but he hasn't worried about creating characters. So basically you get a book about interesting ideas and concepts regarding an alternate future and that's it. For a reader to feel engaged into the story you need characters, you need a certain level of emotion. Or else it just feels like you're reading an awfully boring academic paper. And believe me, in my university I've read so many of them that I got sick and bored to death of this kind of stuff.

Seems like we both used the term boring.

I've read you thoughts on the book but a part of me kept wispering "get it, it will be worth it" well you were right.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:06 pm

covalesky wrote:
I've read you thoughts on the book but a part of me kept wispering "get it, it will be worth it" well you were right.

So now do I get to say ... "I told you so"?

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:15 pm

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:31 pm

About fuckin' time!

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:52 pm

Harbinger Vol. 1: Omega Rising - The more that I read of the relaunched Valiant Universe, the more that I realize that Valiant is absolutely on fire right now and the first volume of Harbinger is no exception. Omega Rising tells the story of Peter Stanchek, a young man who is being relentlessly pursued by the authorities. It is during a run-in with the authorities that Peter is contacted by Toyo Harada of the mysterious Harbinger Foundation. We discover that Harada and Stanchek are both men of considerable power, power that Harada wishes to teach Stanchek to use responsibly and for the betterment of all mankind...or so he says.

Omega Rising, collects the first 5 issues of the current Harbinger series but those 5 issues are pretty action packed and things happen rather quickly. Prior to reading this trade, I wasn't familiar with Joshua Dysart's work but he does a great job of balancing the action and intrigue of this story. The weakest part of of this collection, for me, was the art. Khari Evans isn't a bad artist but I felt that the overall presentation was a little inconsistent. It wasn't a major concern, however, and it certainly wasn't something that effected my enjoyment of the book as a whole. I will definitely check out the next volume in the future.

Next Up: East of West Vol. 1: The Promise.
ImageImageImage

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:55 pm

Fast and clever, full of heart.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:06 pm

Punchy wrote:Image

I want it.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 20 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:19 pm

just started Fantastic Four, Volume 1: New departures, New Arrivals. the first volume of the Marvel Now run by Fraction with the first few issues of Fantastic Four and FF. Glad to see the big ideas started during Waid's run that ran through Millar and Hickman continue.

Loved this, love Bagley, love Allred, love Fraction. Even if the fact that the Fantastic Four's four minute trip is going to go awry is telegraphed by the replacement FF existing at all. Love the Ant-Man presented in this book, what is essential reading for that cat? Scott Lang is it? Can't wait to read FF Vol 2 and Fantastic Four Vol 2.

Sin City Vol 2: A Dame to Kill For

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:19 pm

Grayson wrote:Next Up: East of West Vol. 1: The Promise.

After what might be considered a fucking awful day, I'm going to read this as well.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:14 pm

Keb wrote:After what might be considered a fucking awful day, I'm going to read this as well.

I'm sorry to hear that man. I've only read the first chapter so far, so I can't even tell you if it will cheer you up. :(

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:48 pm

Let me know

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand