Advertisement

DC Shocker: Company Apologizes for Harley Quinn Suicide Contest

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

oogy
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 141 posts
Formerly: oogyboy, Elwood P Dowd, OH USER #535

Re: DC Shocker: Company Apologizes for Harley Quinn Suicide

Postby oogy » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:05 pm

I think that everyone needs to brush the sand out of their vaginas and get the fuck over themselves.

The "outrage" over this is ridiculous. :smt011

Stephen Colbert wrote:Everybody knows I don't see race. People tell me I'm white and I believe them because I get pretty good service at the Cracker Barrel.

Ron Swanson wrote:You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

Advertisement

TimH
cheese

Liked in: 249 posts

Postby TimH » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:23 pm

oogy wrote:I think that everyone needs to brush the sand out of their vaginas and get the fuck over themselves.

The "outrage" over this is ridiculous. :smt011

Hey Everybody! Oogy is "DC" from the YouTube video!

http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/news/124012-marvel-meets-dc-a-short-cartoon-inspired-by-dcs-stupidity.html

:-D

Rodrigo Ybañez García
FACEBOOKTron

Liked in: 208 posts
Title: DOCILE ROBOT

RE: DC Shocker: Company Apologizes for Harley Quinn Suicide Contest

Postby Rodrigo Ybañez García » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:04 am

"This would have been a positive message to send, especially to young readers..." Implying that young people reads comics anymore. They are too busy playing Call of Duty and Angry Birds.

oogy
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 141 posts
Formerly: oogyboy, Elwood P Dowd, OH USER #535

Postby oogy » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:57 am

Stephen Colbert wrote:Everybody knows I don't see race. People tell me I'm white and I believe them because I get pretty good service at the Cracker Barrel.

Ron Swanson wrote:You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

HNutz
PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Liked in: 732 posts

Re: RE: DC Shocker: Company Apologizes for Harley Quinn Suic

Postby HNutz » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:05 am

FBtron wrote:So...DC offends customer base, gets bad 'net press, treats fans with contempt.

DC offends professional organizations with same issue, gets bad mainstream press, and issues appropriate, contrite apology.

Conclusion: DC doesn't give a shit about its fans.

Nuff said, true believers.

It's hard not to agree with this.

Also, on a totally unrelated topic... I like the FACEBOOKtron avatar. 8)

br_havoc
A Quagmire

Liked in: 1 post

Postby br_havoc » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:56 am

They should also apologize for Harley's villain month one shot. That book should of never existed.

Anonymous
FACEBOOKTron

Postby Anonymous » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:00 pm

I find the darker portrayals of Harley Quinn much more intriguing and entertaining. Obviously not every book is for everyone. DC has a wide range of fans to accomodate. The subject of suicide ought not to be taboo in any artistic medium, so I'd reserve any scathing judgement until I saw what was chosen to be published and how it was presented. As a contenst, every individual artist has their own style and designs and I'm sure a lot of people would love to draw such a scene while many would be averse to it as well. Bottom line, I'd of been interested in it. More so in some other things DC bothers with. To each their own though.

RE: 23.2 Harley, I found it darkly delightful. It's just a story. Anyone who's taking inspiration from any of these things as some tangible realization has lost touch with distinctions in reality and art/entertainment. The intimate focus of the death in that instance is more offensive than the broadly less specific forms that encompass many more lives? Mass destruction or terroristic like attacks are nothing new in comic books. For some reason the tone matters more to some people than the subject. Put a rosy hue on it and the same message becomes acceptable.

Maybe that version of Harley isn't for 10yr olds. But 10yr olds don't buy as many comic books as me.

Trevor Downs
FACEBOOKTron

RE: DC Shocker: Company Apologizes for Harley Quinn Suicide

Postby Trevor Downs » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:53 am

Read this comic from Manly Guys Doing Manly Things for what should have won that stupid contest: http://thepunchlineismachismo.com/archi ... -continues

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 110 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:20 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:I'll just remind you this country was founded on the basis of puritanical self-righteous outrage, sirrah!

Hard to forget that.

RJM
Faster Pussycat

Liked in: 0 post

Postby RJM » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:40 am

My problem wasn't with the context, my problem was with the wording. Of course Harley would probably be nude in a bathtub, why explicitly state she must appear that way? Because DC wanted to find someone who could draw racy pin-up art in their never ending quest to sex-up anything and everything in their stories to prove they're "mature." Why did they even NEED her to be in a tub? There are tons of other silly ways one could depict Harley trying to commit suicide in her mind. They chose a bathtub because it was an excuse to get her naked. Think about it.

But really, I think I'm more mad at them having her kill children than anything from this contest. This doesn't really ruin the character, it's just stupid of them. That story does ruin her in my eyes. How can I enjoy a supposedly light-earted and funny series knowing the title character murdered children for no damn reason other than to make the story dark and shit. It was the worst comic I've ever read. The worst.

Apple Mejia
FACEBOOKTron

Postby Apple Mejia » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:17 pm

Brian Keith Pittman There are days where I want to be THAT optimistic.
They usually involve gin.

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand