Monday, May 30, 2016 • Morning Edition • "Guest-starring Wolverine's cold, dead corpse!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!


The Shrinking of Marvel's Cosmic Universe

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

Stephen Day

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:24 pm

It used to be that the Kree Empire and the Shi'ar Empire existed outside of the Milky Way Galaxy, the Kree in the Greater Magellanic Cloud and the Shi'ar in the their own self-named, factional galaxy. Recently though in Infinity, both are part of what's called the Galactic Council. On top of this, in the past few years the stories involving them have also been written which makes it seem like both are located within the Milky Way.

I can't say I'm a fan of this change. It makes Marvel's greater universe seem smaller then it used to be. The whole thing seems less grand than it used to be.
User avatar

sdsichero

2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Postby sdsichero » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:56 pm

Nobody likes shrinkage
User avatar

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:03 pm

Technically it makes it seem bigger. It's just that we've only seen a small part of it now. :P
User avatar

sdsichero

2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Postby sdsichero » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:04 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:Technically it makes it seem bigger. It's just that we've only seen a small part of it now. :P


That's what Jude tells the wimmenz
User avatar

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:09 pm

sdsichero wrote:
That's what Jude tells the wimmenz


Shut it, nerdyboy! :x
User avatar

sdsichero

2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Postby sdsichero » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:10 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
Shut it, nerdyboy! :x


That's what the wimmenz say to me.

:cry:
User avatar

Amoebas

Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:23 pm

Thinking of Galactus, the guy gets hungry and desperate every third Wednesday if he hasn't eaten (this, in a galaxy as populated as the Milky Way is). For even the big G himself, he'd have to pack one hell of a cooler to make a trans-galactic trip.

Then you have the peaceful early Skrulls who traveled between galaxies to eventually find Hala, then they take some Kree and some Cotati to yet another galaxy (ours) just to hold a contest?

It always struck me that the Milky Way was more than big enough for everyone. Maybe the Kree just call it the Kree Galaxy out of ego (same as the "Shi'ar" Galaxy).
User avatar

Stephen Day

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:40 pm

Amoebas wrote:It always struck me that the Milky Way was more than big enough for everyone. Maybe the Kree just call it the Kree Galaxy out of ego (same as the "Shi'ar" Galaxy).


The problem with that thought is that it was always clear that the Kree Empire was in the Greater Magellanic Cloud, which is a separate galaxy from the Milky Way.

From Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_Magellanic_Cloud

The Large Magellanic Cloud (LMC) is a nearby irregular galaxy (although it shows signs of a bar structure, and is often reclassified as a Magellanic type dwarf spiral galaxy), and a satellite of the Milky Way. At a distance of slightly less than 50 kiloparsecs (≈163,000 light-years), the LMC is the third closest galaxy to the Milky Way, with the Sagittarius Dwarf Spheroidal (~ 16 kiloparsecs) and Canis Major Dwarf Galaxy (~ 12.9 kiloparsecs) lying closer to the center of the Milky Way.


Here's was is said in the opening sentence for the the Kree article in The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe: Deluxe Edition, dated June 1985:

The Kree is an extra-terrestrial humanoid race who have created a vast empire in the Greater Magellanic Cloud.
User avatar

Stephen Day

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:53 pm

Amoebas wrote:Thinking of Galactus, the guy gets hungry and desperate every third Wednesday if he hasn't eaten (this, in a galaxy as populated as the Milky Way is). For even the big G himself, he'd have to pack one hell of a cooler to make a trans-galactic trip.

Then you have the peaceful early Skrulls who traveled between galaxies to eventually find Hala, then they take some Kree and some Cotati to yet another galaxy (ours) just to hold a contest?


And the Skrull Empire is supposed to be in the Andromeda Galaxy

Yeah, I know there are logical reasons why Marvel would want to make this change, but that doesn't mean I have to like the result. It used to be that the Shi'ar had their own galaxy, the Skrulls had the Andromeda Galaxy and the Kree had the Greater Magellanic Cloud. Each empire controlled it's own galaxy and that gave the reader a real sense of just how big they were. That's something that's lost in the current set-up. Like I said, I can understand why this change was made, I just don't think it's a change for the better.
User avatar

Amoebas

Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:54 pm

Stephen Day wrote:Here's was is said in the opening sentence for the the Kree article in The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe: Deluxe Edition, dated June 1985:


The Kree is an extra-terrestrial humanoid race who have created a vast empire in the Greater Magellanic Cloud.

And Cyclops's entry in OHOFTMU has all that made up nonsense about Cyclops drawing his power from unearthly dimensions.

I'm not denying that things have been stated and placed on a map somewhere, I just think it works better in one galaxy and any retcon establishing this is all right by me.
User avatar

Stephen Day

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:03 am

Amoebas wrote:

And Cyclops's entry in OHOFTMU has all that made up nonsense about Cyclops drawing his power from unearthly dimensions.

I'm not denying that things have been stated and placed on a map somewhere, I just think it works better in one galaxy and any retcon establishing this is all right by me.


I agree that continuity probably works better with all three empires existing within the Milky Way. The thing is, when they were each the size of a galaxy, that gave them a sense of grandness and majesty that they don't have to the same extent now, and I have to admit that I'm going to miss that.
User avatar

Amoebas

Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:06 am

Stephen Day wrote: It used to be that the Shi'ar had their own galaxy, the Skrulls had the Andromeda Galaxy and the Kree had the Greater Magellanic Cloud. Each empire controlled it's own galaxy and that gave the reader a real sense of just how big they were.


It's amazing then, with how 'big' they are/were, that little ole tiny Earth has, time and time again, taken down these empires that spanned whole galaxies. :lol:
User avatar

Stephen Day

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:13 am

Amoebas wrote:
It's amazing then, with how 'big' they are/were, that little ole tiny Earth has, time and time again, taken down these empires that spanned whole galaxies. :lol:


I wouldn't say that Earth took them down. In most of the stories the Avengers, or X-men, or whoever, only left the planet because Earth was caught in the crossfire of some big war or something like that. The goal has almost always been just to mitigate the damage being down to Earth.
User avatar

sdsichero

2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Postby sdsichero » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:28 am

Stephen Day wrote:
The problem with that thought is that it was always clear that the Kree Empire was in the Greater Magellanic Cloud, which is a separate galaxy from the Milky Way.

From Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_Magellanic_Cloud



Here's was is said in the opening sentence for the the Kree article in The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe: Deluxe Edition, dated June 1985:



Kree and Shi'ar are very advanced techonologically.

But are terrible map makers.

Problem solved.
User avatar

Regulator

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Regulator » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:26 am

Stephen Day wrote:
I agree that continuity probably works better with all three empires existing within the Milky Way. The thing is, when they were each the size of a galaxy, that gave them a sense of grandness and majesty that they don't have to the same extent now, and I have to admit that I'm going to miss that.


100-400 billion star systems is definitely not enough room for grandness or majesty. :P

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 48 guests

cron