Advertisement

Avengers Arena #15 (Cammi rules treasure hunting Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 109 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Avengers Arena #15 (Cammi rules treasure hunting Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:11 pm

With only 3 issues left to go, Avengers Arena is really ramping things up for it’s big ending with this issue, as serious stuff goes down, and another character bites the dust in a tragic way that really has me wanting the next part right fucking now.

The focus of this issue is on Nara the Atlantean, who until this point has mainly been hanging around in the background, being a bit of a bitch and causing love triangles. This issue not only finally sheds some light on her origin, but allows her character to grow out of ‘love triangle bitch’ and do something heroic. And then she dies, oh dear.

Most of this issue is taken up with Cullen Bloodstone’s monstrous rampage after he removed his magic ring and allowed the ‘Glartrox’ that had possessed him to take over so he could fight X-23. The action here was pretty damn great, and it also brought back the likes of Reptil, Chase and Nico into the fold, as most of our remaining heroes are back in the same place, trying to stop Cullen/Glartrox.

But as I said, the main focus is Nara, who can’t bear to watch her boyfriend Anachronism go through watching his best friend become a monster, and perhaps even have to kill him. So she tries to forgo her inclination to not care, and try and find Cullen’s magic ring so he can go back to human form. Nara’s origin story is pretty simple, she’s an Atlantean, her parents were royal guards who plotted with Attuma to kill Namor, and then she was exiled, but not before Namor told her to never trust anyone but herself, like he does. Simple, but effective, especially as we see Nara try and move past Namor’s advice in this issue. In the end, she does manage to save Cullen, finding the Ring and turning him back to normal, but in the process… Monster-Cullen kills her.

The last page sees Anachronism let out a scream of anguish, so I can’t wait to see what happens next, I bet it’s going to be tragic, especially if Anachronism ends up killing his best friend in a berserker rage. This truly is an excellent book, and the ‘Battle Royale’ premise continues to be a winner, the stakes are life and death, so even best friends may turn on each other, and everything is so heightened and exciting.

It should also be said that Hopeless has done a really good job at creating new characters and making me the reader care about them. Nara, Cullen and Anachronism first appeared in #1 of this book, and after only 15 issues I’m as invested in them as I am characters like the Runaways or X-23 that have been around for years. It’s great writing, and it makes it all the sweeter when they die. I care when these characters die, and that’s the point, this is far from the mindless meat-grinder that the tumblr-critics would have you believe it, it’s far more character-focused than that. Throw in the best work of Kev Walker’s career (Monster Cullen looked amazing, great Kirby-esque monsters) and this is just a fantastic comic every issue. Roll on the next issue and the tragedy and feels, roll on more death and destruction, it’s glorious.

Advertisement

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 346 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Re: Avengers Arena #15 (Cammi rules treasure hunting Spoiler

Postby Zechs » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:20 pm

I wouldn't say the most I've ever been invested in X-23. The last time I was the trip to Paris Liu did with her, Jubilee, Gambit, and Logan.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:16 pm

Zechs wrote:I wouldn't say the most I've ever been invested in X-23. The last time I was the trip to Paris Liu did with her, Jubilee, Gambit, and Logan.

I didn't mean this was the most I'd been invested in X-23 (although it might be), I just meant I was just as invested in the new characters as I was in the more established lot like X-23, the Runaways and Avengers Academy dudes.

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 733 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:53 pm

i'm kind of disappointed in Marvel for releasing the solicits and cover for Uncanny X-Men in December, before Avengers Arena ended... we know at least one of the character who survives based strictly on that alone

dairydead
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 241 posts

Postby dairydead » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:12 pm

e_galston wrote:i'm kind of disappointed in Marvel for releasing the solicits and cover for Uncanny X-Men in December, before Avengers Arena ended... we know at least one of the character who survives based strictly on that alone

Are you talking about the "Girls Night Out" cover? I don't see anyone on there from AA.
The Firelord to Hawk's Galactus

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 733 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:15 pm

dairydead wrote:
Are you talking about the "Girls Night Out" cover? I don't see anyone on there from AA.

i'm tired and wrote the wrong bendis book, All-New X-men has someone from AA on the cover

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 559 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:29 pm

That sucks for devoted fans of this title. You'd think there would be some scathing Front Page article here about that.
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 231 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:35 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:That sucks for devoted fans of this title. You'd think there would be some scathing Front Page article here about that.

:roll:

Hab

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:37 pm

I think most fans assumed X-23 would survive anyway, there were a lot of rants about how 'popular' characters like her would obviously survive and tumblrbabies like Mettle would be brutally murdered.

And it was true!

Lord Ice
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 154 posts
Title: Deviant by design

Postby Lord Ice » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:25 pm

e_galston wrote:
i'm tired and wrote the wrong bendis book, All-New X-men has someone from AA on the cover

Course that could be Bendis doing his usual ignoring continuity of things that happen to characters in books he doesn't write.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 1215 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:50 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:That sucks for devoted fans of this title. You'd think there would be some scathing Front Page article here about that.

:lol: First I've heard of it, but I could probably make one. I need more details though, because I don't do research.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 1215 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:51 pm

X-23 is a Wolverine clone, she can't die. Kill her, and two more will pop up (on other teams) to take her place.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 902 posts
Title: Adventure is out there
Formerly: beta-ray

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 360 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:19 pm

Is this title really gone for good? The way I read the solicit for the final issue it appears they they're going to continue the story in a Point Phase Young Gun Architect 2 relaunch with a new status quo after Infinity's done.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 281 posts

Postby doombug » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:49 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:X-23 is a Wolverine clone, she can't die. Kill her, and two more will pop up (on other teams) to take her place.

:roll:

I mean technically you're right about the clone part but there is much more to Laura then her surrogate father.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand