Advertisement

Is Yong Avengers as Good as Kieron thinks it is?

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 269 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Re: Is Yong Avengers as Good as Kieron thinks it is?

Postby nietoperz » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:01 am

I keep waiting for it to live up to expectations as well. Though, "Come with me if you want to be awesome," still makes me smile...

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 95 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:42 am

I really liked Phonogram, it's much better than YA. It was a lot more natural and felt less forced than Young Avengers does, the first volume especially.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 4 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:54 pm

His Avatar book Uber is really good, it's more than a bit stupid that so many people are reading a shitty book they don't like--and Young Avengers truly is a shit comic from what I've seen--and no one is reading one of the books he's pouring everything he has into (which is clear from the back-matter, if not from the main book itself).

Punchy
Staff Writer

Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:38 pm

His Iron Man is also very good, so it's not like he's suddenly become a bad writer, it's just the tone of YA is so obnoxious.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 76 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:51 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:I don't mind Young Avengers. But it pales in comparison to Gillen's JiM, which was fantastic.

This is how I feel.

JiM was really great, but ultimately, I think Gillen is a terrible writer. So for YA to be just decent is still a step up for him.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:51 pm

Punchy wrote:His Iron Man is also very good, so it's not like he's suddenly become a bad writer, it's just the tone of YA is so obnoxious.

Not suddenly. His X-Men was almost Austen/Milligan levels of bad. Phonogram sucked, too.

JiM is some bizarre abberation.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:33 pm

He's definitely not a terrible writer, maybe those characters are just stupid?

LobsterJ
Great Scott!!!

Postby LobsterJ » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:44 pm

Only thing of his I have read is one X-men trade, I think I gave it a one-star rating on goodreads. I don't like any of the crop of guys Marvel have decided are the new big deals...Gillen, Fraction, Hickman, Remender.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:47 pm

LobsterJ wrote:Only thing of his I have read is one X-men trade, I think I gave it a one-star rating on goodreads. I don't like any of the crop of guys Marvel have decided are the new big deals...Gillen, Fraction, Hickman, Remender.

That's a shame on the last three, because Hickman and Remender are doing great work right now.

Hickman's Avengers is on a whole 'nother level from what we've gotten in the last decade or so. The scope is massive.

And Remender has managed something I didn't think was possible... follow Brubaker on Cap with a run that is wildly different, but maybe equally as good (so far)

And Fraction's Hawkeye book is sublime.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 1045 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:48 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:He's definitely not a terrible writer, maybe those characters are just stupid?

I think it's a case of too much of a good thing. Kid Loki in JiM was charming, but trying to do that same thing with a bunch of characters just doesn't work as well. You need a contrast.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:08 pm

Punchy wrote:His Iron Man is also very good, so it's not like he's suddenly become a bad writer, it's just the tone of YA is so obnoxious.

The first issues were ok and Land made me not want to read after that but, I'm loving the current arc. I'd go ahead and say it's the only thing good Gillen has written.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 779 posts
Title: It's a thing
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:16 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:His Avatar book Uber is really good, it's more than a bit stupid that so many people are reading a shitty book they don't like--and Young Avengers truly is a shit comic from what I've seen--and no one is reading one of the books he's pouring everything he has into (which is clear from the back-matter, if not from the main book itself).

Uber really is a shit comic from what I've seen.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:22 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
I think it's a case of too much of a good thing. Kid Loki in JiM was charming, but trying to do that same thing with a bunch of characters just doesn't work as well. You need a contrast.

He writes good Churchill and Hitler. In the most recent issue of Uber he completely subverts your expectations by showing the first Allied man-made superhuman we've seen created and gotten to know over the last few issues put into battle too soon and brutally mutilated by Battleship Sieglinde, Hitler's more experienced female superhuman, and turned into a twisted mass of flesh who then has to be euthanized by his British trainers (which takes hours and an industrial drill).

It's an interesting variation on the Superman theme, where the up-and-coming strong-willed hero just isn't good enough, no matter how much heart he has.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 1045 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:01 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:
He writes good Churchill and Hitler. In the most recent issue of Uber he completely subverts your expectations by showing the first Allied man-made superhuman we've seen created and gotten to know over the last few issues put into battle too soon and brutally mutilated by Battleship Sieglinde, Hitler's more experienced female superhuman, and turned into a twisted mass of flesh who then has to be euthanized by his British trainers (which takes hours and an industrial drill).

It's an interesting variation on the Superman theme, where the up-and-coming strong-willed hero just isn't good enough, no matter how much heart he has.

That sounds really interesting. I might check that out.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:09 pm

sdsichero wrote:
Uber really is a shit comic from what I've seen.

Shut it, nerdyboy.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum