Advertisement

What classic series/runs would you recommend to others?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Chessack
cheese

Liked in: 400 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

What classic series/runs would you recommend to others?

Postby Chessack » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:54 pm

We all have our favorite comic series (or runs on series, such as a 30-issue run by our favorite author) -- that stack of comics that you pull out every year or every couple of years and re-read it even though you've read it 10 times already, just to experience it all over again. Sometimes these may be famous runs, like Claremont/Byrne X-men. Other times they may be more obscure, like Bill Mantlo's Micronauts.

With ComiXology and trade paperback reprints, many of these are now available to modern readers. But unless you actually read them, or know someone who did, you might, perhaps, not even know that these are any good or are worth finding/buying/reading. With all the dreck floating around out there particularly from the Big Two these days, I thought I would start a thread where people could list their all-time favorite series, or parts of series, that they thought were truly stellar in both art and story and recommend those to others.

Here are some rules:

1. These should be sizable runs of comics. Don't just post a favorite story arc like Dark Knight Returns. Sure it was good, but it was only a few issues. I am looking for long-standing bodies of work that went on for a while. So please post suggestions that went on longer than 1 year (13+ issues).

2. The series or run should have ended at least 10 years ago. It's not that I don't think anything good could have come out more recently (I know it has), but rather, the more recent stuff is already well known and probably had been read, and I would like us to compile a list of older stuff that might not be known about but is worth reading.

3. No more than 3 suggestions per person. I know you love many runs and series, but post your 3 favorites.

4. If the stuff can be found on ComiXology or in trade, please state this so we can track them down more easily. (I know it won't always be the case, but sometimes it will).

Here are mine:

Walt Simonson's Thor (337-382) - available on ComiXology and in collected trades on Amazon.

George Perez's Wonder Woman (1-35) - some (1-24) available on ComiXology.

Rom: Spaceknight (1-50) - sadly I don't think these are available as anything but back-issues. But they are worth a read.

So what are your three favorites?

Advertisement

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 950 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Re: What classic series/runs would you recommend to others?

Postby The Old Doctor » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:59 pm

I have no idea about availability at ComiXology.

Nexus. Available in HC archive format from Dark Horse. Covers everything of that awesome series and character.

Sandman Mystery Theater. Available from DC in collected trades.

Grimjack is a fav, but I'm not sure if Dynamite collected all of it or not in trades.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Old Doctor is the NuDCU's Catscratch

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:06 pm

Eightball
Yummy Fur
Hate

LobsterJ
Great Scott!!!

Liked in: 80 posts

Postby LobsterJ » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:15 pm

Ann Nocenti's run on DD, especially her issues with JRJR

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 409 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:17 pm

The Cap No More storyline from Mark Gruenwald's Captain America run. I think it may be available in trade paperback.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 478 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:40 pm

Too easy to name the popular runs so...

Haywire #1-13 (1988-1989)

Zot #1-36 (1984-1990)

The Chopper Saga in 2000 AD #206-207, 424-429, 545-570, 594-597, 654-665 (1981-1994)
ImageImageImageImage

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:31 pm

preacher
Bone
Transmetropolitian
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Chessack
cheese

Postby Chessack » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:07 pm

Stephen Day wrote:The Cap No More storyline from Mark Gruenwald's Captain America run. I think it may be available in trade paperback.

Ah yes, I remember that. I started reading Cap during that run, and kept reading it for another 40+ issues. Gruenwald was the master.

Mr. Log
rubber spoon

Liked in: 194 posts
Title: Bitch, I'm fabulous
Formerly: Log-Man

Postby Mr. Log » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:16 pm

Giffen/DeMatteis Justice League, JLI and JLE

Matt Wagner's Mage

All-Star Superman

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 320 posts

Postby avengingtitan » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:30 pm

Sandman
Y: The Last Man
Generation X
I recommend above all else the New X-Men Omnibus by Grant Morrison.
Checkout my new Ebay Store.
Comics, Video Games, Action Figures, Pokemon Cards, Yu-Gi-Oh Cards, Disney Infinity, and Skylanders
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pennsylvanias_best_comics

UnionJack
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 22 posts

Postby UnionJack » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:44 am

I'll have to go with some Golden Oldies:

Amazing Spiderman #1-300 - there are just so many great stories & creators in the first 300 issues you just can't go wrong. Classic superhero action.

New Teen Titans - Marv Wolfman/George Perez. Brilliant, best thing DC ever published.

Incredible Hulk - Bill Mantlo/Sal Buscema (from about #245 - #313). HULK SMASH!! I'd recommend anything Mantlo ever wrote - a tragic loss to the world of comics.

Chessack
cheese

Postby Chessack » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:09 am

UnionJack wrote:Incredible Hulk - Bill Mantlo/Sal Buscema (from about #245 - #313). HULK SMASH!! I'd recommend anything Mantlo ever wrote - a tragic loss to the world of comics.

+1 for this. Best. Creative. Team. Ever.

Bill Mantlo was one of the greatest comic-book writers of all time. And the Mantlo-Buscema pairing was outstanding. They did Rom 1-50 together as well and it was just incredible. Although we will never know all the back-room dealings, Buscema left when Mike Carlin came on as editor, and it certainly seemed like Carlin fired him. My guess is Mantlo was probably not happy about this, as he and Buscema clearly were fond of each other, and although he kept trying to write good stories, it felt like after Buscema was fired, Mantlo's heart was just not in it. But that run from 1-50 was well worth a read.

And now that I know they teamed up on those Hulks, I will absolutely see if I can get my hands on them.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 478 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:21 am

Chessack wrote:

Bill Mantlo was one of the greatest comic-book writers of all time. And the Mantlo-Buscema pairing was outstanding. They did Rom 1-50 together as well and it was just incredible. Although we will never know all the back-room dealings, Buscema left when Mike Carlin came on as editor, and it certainly seemed like Carlin fired him. My guess is Mantlo was probably not happy about this, as he and Buscema clearly were fond of each other, and although he kept trying to write good stories, it felt like after Buscema was fired, Mantlo's heart was just not in it. But that run from 1-50 was well worth a read.

And now that I know they teamed up on those Hulks, I will absolutely see if I can get my hands on them.
Off the top of my head - these are also Mantlo/Buscema you may not know about...

ImageImageImage

And iirc from Sal's biography, it wasn't Carlin or Ditko - it was Rom's inkers Aken & Garvey (Sal, who rarely complained - didn't like their style over his pencils). This led to a slow breakup with Mantlo first in ROM and then shortly afterwards in Hulk. Which worked out for everyone as Sal went on to some spectacular stuff with Simonson on Thor.

As much as I loved Mantlo/Buscema, I always loved DeMatteis/Buscmema more and was so happy to see them back together just a couple months ago...

covalesky
Expert Post Whore

Liked in: 1 post

Postby covalesky » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:32 pm

Transmetropolitan by Warren ellis.
Animal man by morrison.
Starman by Robinson.

UnionJack
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 22 posts

Postby UnionJack » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:07 pm

Chessack wrote:

I think those Hulks are pretty cheap on the back issues market - I'm tempted to buy another set as I read them so often (to be fair, the RogerStern/Sal Buscema run leading up to Mantlo's tenure is superb too and there was a great cross-over with Captain America in there as well). There are also three trades - 'Pardoned', 'Regression' and 'Crossroads'.

Rom would also be on my recommended list & Micronauts but you only allowed us three..... :wink:

How amazing was Rom though? #50 is one of my all-time favourite single comics - along with Incredible Hulk #300.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand