Advertisement

What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 628 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Grayson » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:48 am

Keb wrote:Let me know

I actually really liked it. I'll post something about it tomorrow.

Advertisement

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:53 pm

East of West Vol. 1: The Promise - I love alternate realities as much as the next person and right now nobody does them better than Jonathan Hickman. Set in the future of an alternate timeline where the west was not settled, East of West tells the story of the impending apocalypse. The apocalypse of course, is to be ushered in by the Four Horsemen but something has happened to the group. Three of the four have been radically changed while the fourth, Death, has set out on his own path with his own goals. What could motivate Death to stray from the rest of the Horsemen?

Recently I was praising Rick Remender for his ability to tell crazy, science fiction stories but Jonathan Hickman is right up there with him at the top of the game. I was absolutely hooked after reading the first chapter of this volume alone. I will say that I found a one of his twists a little disappointing but that was only one of dozens of over-the-top, sublime concepts that are all intriguing. Plus, this was only the first 5 issues and I am sure that the twist that I didn't like will be expanded upon in a satisfying way later on. Nick Dragotta's art is absolutely gorgeous. The designs for the characters that inhabit this alternate timeline are unique and make sense in the context of the world that they inhabit. Plus, when Dragotta allows Death to cut loose, its terrifyingly beautiful.

Next Up: Spider-Man 2099 Vol. 1
ImageImageImage

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 93 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:32 pm

Keb wrote:After what might be considered a fucking awful day, I'm going to read this as well.

Sorry to hear you had a bad day. I've had some awful days since I lost my job in July.

concreatjungle
Naked, Greased-Up Deaf Guy

Liked in: 0 post

Postby concreatjungle » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:28 am

Grayson wrote:Image

East of West Vol. 1: The Promise - I love alternate realities as much as the next person and right now nobody does them better than Jonathan Hickman. Set in the future of an alternate timeline where the west was not settled, East of West tells the story of the impending apocalypse. The apocalypse of course, is to be ushered in by the Four Horsemen but something has happened to the group. Three of the four have been radically changed while the fourth, Death, has set out on his own path with his own goals. What could motivate Death to stray from the rest of the Horsemen?

Recently I was praising Rick Remender for his ability to tell crazy, science fiction stories but Jonathan Hickman is right up there with him at the top of the game. I was absolutely hooked after reading the first chapter of this volume alone. I will say that I found a one of his twists a little disappointing but that was only one of dozens of over-the-top, sublime concepts that are all intriguing. Plus, this was only the first 5 issues and I am sure that the twist that I didn't like will be expanded upon in a satisfying way later on. Nick Dragotta's art is absolutely gorgeous. The designs for the characters that inhabit this alternate timeline are unique and make sense in the context of the world that they inhabit. Plus, when Dragotta allows Death to cut loose, its terrifyingly beautiful.

Picked this up yesterday and going to get into it today. From a brief flick through the first couple pages the art looks stunning. Hungover Saturdays aren't so bad...

covalesky
Expert Post Whore

Liked in: 1 post

Postby covalesky » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:44 am

Arion wrote:
So now do I get to say ... "I told you so"?

NO...yes

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:56 pm

As the first person here to reject The Massive publicly on account of it sucking wind, I feel vindicated.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 207 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:30 pm

Arion wrote:
Sorry to hear you had a bad day. I've had some awful days since I lost my job in July.

Didn't you just start a few months ago?

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Formerly: Schmormerly

Chessack
cheese

Liked in: 270 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Postby Chessack » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:37 pm

After hearing lots of great things about Kirkman and about The Walking Dead I finally decided to try this, with the first volume of the series. I couldn't get into it. I normally don't like Zombies that much so you'd think that would be why, but rather... it was the scripting that really rubbed me the wrong way. I came away surprised that so many people love this series. Maybe it gets better in the later volumes, but nothing in what I read in volume 1 makes me want to read more.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:54 pm

Keb wrote:Didn't you just start a few months ago?

I started on February.

covalesky
Expert Post Whore

Postby covalesky » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:20 am

Victorian Squid wrote:As the first person here to reject The Massive publicly on account of it sucking wind, I feel vindicated.

:lol:

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 207 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:10 am

Arion wrote:
I started on February.

Fuck man sorry to hear that.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:19 pm

Keb wrote:Fuck man sorry to hear that.

I hope to find something else soon.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:16 am

covalesky wrote:
NO...yes

Oh well, just to cheer you up I wrote a review especially for you. And there's plenty of Sean Muprhy goodness in there. So go to my blog and have fun!

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:22 pm

Arion wrote:Sorry to hear you had a bad day. I've had some awful days since I lost my job in July.

Kinda late on this one but I am really sorry to hear that man.
ImageImageImage

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand