Advertisement

Mighty Avengers #1 (Posterior Spider-Hole Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Mighty Avengers #1 (Posterior Spider-Hole Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:10 pm

Another day, another Avengers title, and yes, whilst there probably (definitely) are too many books with the big ‘A’ slapped across them, they are all good (I’m not reading Secret or Assemble, but I hear good things) and on the basis of this first issue, Mighty is going to make a fine addition to the ever-expanding ranks of Earth’s Mightiest Hero-based comics.

Perhaps the best thing about Brian Michael Bendis’ long run on the Avengers was the character work he did on Luke Cage, taking him from a single guy who was really only out for himself (and maybe Iron Fist) and was kind of shady, to a happily-married father who was leader of an Avengers team and very well-respected in the Marvel Universe. It was a great arc, and in this whole Batwoman brouhaha, it’s worth remembering that some superheroes do get married and do grow and change. When Hickman took over the Avengers, Luke went out of the book, and I did miss him, so it’s really great to have him back in the mix, and leading a new, exciting team.

Much has been made about how the majority of this team is non-white, and whilst that’s all well and good, I’m glad that the comic itself doesn’t make a big deal out of it, and that Al Ewing first and foremost makes this title about the characters, and not their skin colours, Cage is not recruiting basedon criteria, it’s just whoever happens to be around when Thanos attacks, whoever reflects the natural diversity of New York City.

Being British, I am fairly familiar with Ewing and his 2000 AD work, his Judge Dredd stuff is some of the best of recent years, and I particularly like the brilliant Zombo strip he created with Henry Flint, so it’s great to see another Brit make the leap to Big Two superheroes and do such a good job, this is a really fun book, with some great comedic moments and some excellent character interactions and dialogue. I particularly liked the funny captions used to introduce each cast-member, and also the way he wrote the lame villains that are The Plunderer and Bluestreak, that was hilarious. Also very funny was the way Ewing writes the Superior Spider-Man, who was just such a dick in this issue, it’s going to be a lot of fun seeing the clash of personalities between SpOck, Luke Cage and the combustible Power Man.

The most intriguing thing about this issue was the mysterious man who was talking to Monica Rambeau (now going by Spectrum, and it’s great to see her getting another starring role, she’s had nothing but guest-appearances since Nextwave, which got a nice nod to here with the trenchcoat gag) and becomes the ridiculous ‘Spider Hero’. I literally have no idea who this dude is, it could be anyone who Monica would know, and that’s most superheroes in the Marvel Universe. I’m just glad that Monica knowing him means that it’s not a universe-hopping Miles Morales, that guy needs to stick in the Ultimate Universe, those rumours are straight-up dumb.

So, after being introduced to most of the team, Luke Cage, Power Man, White Tiger, Spider-Man, Spectrum and Spider Hero/Ronin/Mystery Man, we get to the meat of things, as Infinity comes crashing down on NYC. With the Avengers obviously gone, Luke and his rag-tag group are the only line of defence left to face Proxima Midnight and her army, and I can’t wait to see how the fight next issue goes. This issue was mainly character set-up, but it was necessary, we got to see just how Luke Cage came to the conclusion that he wanted to rejoin the Avengers, it wasn’t just a spurt of the moment thing, and we also got reintroduced to characters like Spectrum and White Tiger who haven’t been around for a while. Now that we have our core team, things can really kick off. Ewing really is off to a great start, in fact, my only complaint about this whole book is that he’s got Luke Cage, and he’s got the new Power Man, so where the fuck is Iron Fist? Is he too busy to help his friends fight Thanos? I want my Danny Rand fix.

In terms of the art, it’s Greg Land, so given his divisive nature, it’s pretty pointless to try and talk about it, everyone’s already made up their minds about whether they hate him or not. I don’t mind Land, and I did feel in this issue his work was a lot more fluid and less static than he can be, that 3rd page with Luke, Power Man and White Tiger fighting Plunderer’s Goons was not what you’d expect from Land, and it was great.

So really, even if you’re a bit burned out on Avengers books, you should check this one out, it has great characters, a promising new writer, and if you’re one of those people who believes comics actually matter in the fight for equality (I’m not so sure myself, but they can’t hurt) it’s all kinds of diverse. But more important than diversity is quality, and Mighty Avengers has that too.
Last edited by Punchy on Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Advertisement

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 1 post
Title: I mean... ROBINS have wings...
Formerly: DOOP SPEAK

Re: Mighty Avengers #1 (Posterior Spider-Hole Spoilers)

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:48 pm

Punchy wrote:Another day, another Avengers title, and yes, whilst there probably (definitely) are too many books with the big ‘A’ slapped across them, they are all good (I’m not reading Secret or Assemble, but I hear good things) and on the basis of this first issue, Mighty is going to make a fine addition to the ever-expanding ranks of Earth’s Mightiest Hero-based comics.
Perhaps the best thing about Brian Michael Bendis’ long run on the Avengers was the character work he did on Luke Cage, taking him from a single guy who was really only out for himself (and maybe Iron Fist) and was kind of shady, to a happily-married father who was leader of an Avengers team and very well-respected in the Marvel Universe. It was a great arc, and in this whole Batwoman brouhaha, it’s worth remembering that some superheroes do get married and do grow and change. When Hickman took over the Avengers, Luke went out of the book, and I did miss him, so it’s really great to have him back in the mix, and leading a new, exciting team.

Much has been made about how the majority of this team is non-white, and whilst that’s all well and good, I’m glad that the comic itself doesn’t make a big deal out of it, and that Al Ewing first and foremost makes this title about the characters, and not their skin colours, Cage is not recruiting basedon criteria, it’s just whoever happens to be around when Thanos attacks, whoever reflects the natural diversity of New York City.

Being British, I am fairly familiar with Ewing and his 2000 AD work, his Judge Dredd stuff is some of the best of recent years, and I particularly like the brilliant Zombo strip he created with Henry Flint, so it’s great to see another Brit make the leap to Big Two superheroes and do such a good job, this is a really fun book, with some great comedic moments and some excellent character interactions and dialogue. I particularly liked the funny captions used to introduce each cast-member, and also the way he wrote the lame villains that are The Plunderer and Bluestreak, that was hilarious. Also very funny was the way Ewing writes the Superior Spider-Man, who was just such a dick in this issue, it’s going to be a lot of fun seeing the clash of personalities between SpOck, Luke Cage and the combustible Power Man.

The most intriguing thing about this issue was the mysterious man who was talking to Monica Rambeau (now going by Spectrum, and it’s great to see her getting another starring role, she’s had nothing but guest-appearances since Nextwave, which got a nice nod to here with the trenchcoat gag) and becomes the ridiculous ‘Spider Hero’. I literally have no idea who this dude is, it could be anyone who Monica would know, and that’s most superheroes in the Marvel Universe. I’m just glad that Monica knowing him means that it’s not a universe-hopping Miles Morales, that guy needs to stick in the Ultimate Universe, those rumours are straight-up dumb.

So, after being introduced to most of the team, Luke Cage, Power Man, White Tiger, Spider-Man, Spectrum and Spider Hero/Ronin/Mystery Man, we get to the meat of things, as Infinity comes crashing down on NYC. With the Avengers obviously gone, Luke and his rag-tag group are the only line of defence left to face Proxima Midnight and her army, and I can’t wait to see how the fight next issue goes. This issue was mainly character set-up, but it was necessary, we got to see just how Luke Cage came to the conclusion that he wanted to rejoin the Avengers, it wasn’t just a spurt of the moment thing, and we also got reintroduced to characters like Spectrum and White Tiger who haven’t been around for a while. Now that we have our core team, things can really kick off. Ewing really is off to a great start, in fact, my only complaint about this whole book is that he’s got Luke Cage, and he’s got the new Power Man, so where the fuck is Iron Fist? Is he too busy to help his friends fight Thanos? I want my Danny Rand fix.

In terms of the art, it’s Greg Land, so given his divisive nature, it’s pretty pointless to try and talk about it, everyone’s already made up their minds about whether they hate him or not. I don’t mind Land, and I did feel in this issue his work was a lot more fluid and less static than he can be, that 3rd page with Luke, Power Man and White Tiger fighting Plunderer’s Goons was not what you’d expect from Land, and it was great.

So really, even if you’re a bit burned out on Avengers books, you should check this one out, it has great characters, a promising new writer, and if you’re one of those people who believes comics actually matter in the fight for equality (I’m not so sure myself, but they can’t hurt) it’s all kinds of diverse. But more important than diversity is quality, and Mighty Avengers has that too.

Maybe the mystery man is 616 Miles Morales?

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:50 pm

TimDrake'sDumbWings wrote:
Maybe the mystery man is 616 Miles Morales?

How would Monica Rambeau know him?

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:51 pm

Punchy wrote:
How would Monica Rambeau know him?

Have you followed Monica Rambeau during every second of every day of her life? He lives across the hall from her apartment. DONE.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:54 pm

TimDrake'sDumbWings wrote:
Have you followed Monica Rambeau during every second of every day of her life? He lives across the hall from her apartment. DONE.

How does he know Nunchuks? Why does he not want people to know he's in the US? It has to be someone previously established.

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:03 pm

Punchy wrote:
How does he know Nunchuks? Why does he not want people to know he's in the US? It has to be someone previously established.

Ah, didn't know that second part.

I'd say it could still be Miles, though. This is an alternate universe. He could be a cross-dressing ex-Marine in 616; he doesn't have to be a poor kid from Brooklyn.

Draco x
FROGMAN

Liked in: 203 posts

Postby Draco x » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:39 pm

I am just happy that Blue Marvel will be on the team as he's basically the Sentry done right without the forced mary sue shoe-horning.

HNutz
PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Liked in: 392 posts

Postby HNutz » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:28 pm

Punchy wrote:

Someone who's known to be out of the US? Maybe Danny?

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:10 pm

HNutz wrote:

That would solve the problem of Iron Fist being absent when both his best friend and his apprentice are on the same team, but I still don't think it fits.

I literally have no idea who Ronin/Spider Hero is.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:20 pm

I'm surprised this issue hasn't caused more discussion on this site, especially since there's a character called BlueStreak in it...

pat
cheese

Liked in: 0 post

Postby pat » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:52 pm

I really want it to be the captain

BubbaKanoosh
2009 Most Valuable Poster

Liked in: 433 posts
Formerly: BRBKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:54 pm

It's Patriot from Young Avengers.

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 130 posts

Postby avengingtitan » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:23 pm

I'm hoping its Paladin.
Checkout my new Ebay Store.
Comics, Video Games, Action Figures, Pokemon Cards, Yu-Gi-Oh Cards, Disney Infinity, and Skylanders
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pennsylvanias_best_comics

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 290 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:20 pm

I agree about the introductory narration boxes each character got -- the humour there was a really nice touch. This issue was possibly the most fun comics I read this week. I wasn't originally going to add this to my pull list because of the problem of there being too many Avengers books right now. I'm glad I changed my mind.

Thank you Troy for the sig

HNutz
PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Liked in: 392 posts

Postby HNutz » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:51 pm

HNutz wrote:

Upon rereading it, we need someone who:

Is intense (according to the costumer).
Is full of muscles (see above)
He "said she would know him".
Is supposed to be out of the country.
Can use nunchucks.

...T'Challa?

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand