Advertisement

Action Comics #23.2 - Zod (Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Action Comics #23.2 - Zod (Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:14 am

This was another pretty solid Villain’s Month book from Greg Pak, and on the basis of this and the Darkseid issue, I’m even more excited for his run on Action Comics than I was before. If Zod is set to be the villain of that run, then all the better.

I found this new origin for General Zod to be pretty interesting (it is new right?), as we find out that as a child, he and his parents crash-landed on a remote Kryptonian Island and since they died, he was forced to live alone in the jungle with a load of monsters. He’s basically Super-Tarzan, and that’s pretty awesome. Zod is eventually rescued by Jor-El and Zor-El, and brought back to Kryptonian society, where he chafes at the fact that life is so safe, and there’s no War or conflict to make people strong like the monsters did to him.

I think the thing that made this story not as good as it could be was that it had to all be told in the space of one issue, and the way it was revealed that Zod had created a fake reason to go to war to satisfy his bloodlust came about way too quickly, as did the revelation about just how his father died. I think this story would have worked a lot better if it had been told over multiple instalments in that ‘World Of Krypton’ back-up story that Action has had for the last few months. The most recent one of those showed us that Zod and Jor-El are friends, and this story explained why. I just feel it would have been better for us to see Zod pretend to be a good guy for a little while longer, before the inevitable and obvious reveal that he’s a dick. The ideas in this story are great, but it was just too quick.

But still, I’m excited to see Zod actually show up to fight Superman, and I would love it if the New 52 version channeled Michael Shannon, he was the best thing in Man Of Steel. Ken Lashley’s artwork was solid enough, all of the Kryptonian Armour that Zod and his crew wore was suitably ridiculous, and the monsters looked good too.

Advertisement

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand