Advertisement

Justice League #23.2 - Lobo (Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Justice League #23.2 - Lobo (Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:19 am

This has been one of the most controversial Villain’s Month books, which came as a surprise to me, because I really didn’t think people cared about Lobo in 2013. I personally have never really care about Lobo, I liked him in 52, but other than that… he’s like Deadpool, a one-note joke that I wasn’t fussed about. So all of the furor about the new skinny Lobo meant zip no me, and it meant I could enjoy what was a pretty great comic that introduced a pretty bad-ass take on the character. This new Lobo is a no-nonsense killing machine, and he’s great.

I thought it was a little bit on the nose for Marguerite Bennett to repeat the refrain that we the audience don’t know Lobo at all, but I suppose it is true, we don’t know this new version of Lobo. This issue was fairly simple story-wise, and was mainly a way to introduce the character and show how ruthless he is in carrying out his Bounty Hunter job. I love how, when he discovered that the cargo he was carrying was actually a race of people who were being transported to be killed for the magical bones (or something like that), he didn’t show any mercy, and just locked them back up and delivered them anyways. Lobo does not give a single fuck.

The artwork in this issue was another highlight, I’ve always liked Ben Oliver, and this was one of the best looking Villain’s Month titles so far, this wasn’t rushed fill-in stuff, it looked really good, especially the action sequences, which were crisp and brutal. As for the redesigned Lobo, I like it too, it’s a visual that works a lot better for the modern day than the classic Lobo, which really does feel incredibly 90s-tastic, and it’s interesting to see such a bad-ass killing machine not be a roided-out freak. People are always crying out for more variety in female body types in comics, so why not men as well? The physiques of male superheroes are just as idealized as female ones when you think about it, it’s just that the male figure is not as inherently sexualized in our culture.

In the end, as reward for his human (well, alien) trafficking, Lobo is given information about where the fake Lobo (the one we are familiar with) has been hiding, and duh, it’s Earth. Marguerite Bennett has once again impressed me with her writing, the Batman Annual she co-wrote with Scott Snyder was good, and this solo outing may be even better, I’m certainly going to check out her first ongoing gig at DC, whatever it is (unless it’s Batgirl or something shit).

The only real problem with this issue is one that’s present in a lot of these villain’s month books, even though this is a Justice League issue, the next place this new Lobo is set to appear is in the pages of Supergirl, which is dumb, DC need to label these titles properly.

Advertisement

Chessack
cheese

Liked in: 346 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Re: Justice League #23.2 - Lobo (Spoilers)

Postby Chessack » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:27 am

DC labeled the titles as they did because they know if it says "Justice League" on the cover, even if it has nothing to do with JL, it will sell 3-4x as many copies as if it says "Supergirl" on the cover.

But then I assume you already know that.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:33 am

Chessack wrote:DC labeled the titles as they did because they know if it says "Justice League" on the cover, even if it has nothing to do with JL, it will sell 3-4x as many copies as if it says "Supergirl" on the cover.

But then I assume you already know that.

I suppose, but it's not very helpful to their fan base.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:29 am

I gotta agree that the less 'roided Lobo might be more interesting than the old one reiterating the same stale gags over and over. Maybe DC is doing the right thing here.

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 196 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:50 am

This new version looks a lot like the character did when he was first introduced in Omega Men, back before he became comic relief / 'roided up. From what I've seen, he behaves more like that version of the character as well.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:55 am

nietoperz wrote:This new version looks a lot like the character did when he was first introduced in Omega Men, back before he became comic relief / 'roided up. From what I've seen, he behaves more like that version of the character as well.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Chessack
cheese

Liked in: 346 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Postby Chessack » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:58 am

Punchy wrote:I suppose, but it's not very helpful to their fan base.

They're not trying to be 'helpful.' They're trying to sell comics. If they can deceive 50,000 fans into buying this book by putting the "JL" label on it instead of "Supergirl," then they do that. What do they care if after you bought it, you end up disappointed or feeling robbed? They already have your money.

(At least, this seems to be the logic behind just about all of DC's marketing moves in the last couple of years.)

HNutz
PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Liked in: 569 posts

Postby HNutz » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:53 pm

Chessack wrote:
They're not trying to be 'helpful.' They're trying to sell comics. If they can deceive 50,000 fans into buying this book by putting the "JL" label on it instead of "Supergirl," then they do that. What do they care if after you bought it, you end up disappointed or feeling robbed? They already have your money.

(At least, this seems to be the logic behind just about all of DC's marketing moves in the last couple of years.)

Same reason why the Court of Owls book (the antagonists in Talon) written by the guy who writes Talon wasn't labelled as Talon, but as Batman & Robin.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand