Advertisement

UncannyX-Men #12 Battle of the Atom #5 Spoilers

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 410 posts
Title: Self Important

UncannyX-Men #12 Battle of the Atom #5 Spoilers

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:23 pm

So this has been my least favorite X book not written by Wood. This issue continues my dislike of Uncanny. I love Bachalo but the double page story panels...I'm getting really tired of them after like 6 issues. The issue it self isn't terrible and it continues the story but there still isn't an actual threat happening other than the future X-men are terrible and Xoobies is evil.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Advertisement

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1075 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Re: UncannyX-Men #12 Battle of the Atom #5 Spoilers

Postby Grayson » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:46 pm

Emma Frost and the Cuckoos standing up to Xoobies was easily my favorite part of this issue. I know it's going to backfire on them because Emma's powers are still broken but it was still awesome.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 410 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:09 am

Grayson wrote:Emma Frost and the Cuckoos standing up to Xoobies was easily my favorite part of this issue. I know it's going to backfire on them because Emma's powers are still broken but it was still awesome.

It was a good moment, really Emma was a good moment in this entire book. I don't fully understand Majick saing she knows these x-men and then running away.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 174 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:20 am

guitarsmashley wrote:
It was a good moment, really Emma was a good moment in this entire book. I don't fully understand Majick saing she knows these x-men and then running away.

that's a reference to the first three pages or so of the crossover. go re-read part 1.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 89 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:21 pm

Part 4 of ‘Battle Of The Atom’, and whilst this issue was mostly just talking, it was Bendis-talk, which I love, and hey, when you think about it, it’s actually a refreshing change of pace for characters in a superhero crossover to just stop and talk about what’s going on. I imagine both Civil War and AvX could all have been sorted if Iron Man, Captain America and later Cyclops had just stopped to chat!

This issue opens with a very funny scene where Maria Hill is once again exasperated by the actions of the X-Men, and Beast in particular. I loved seeing Hill get all pissed off, and how both Dazzler and Agent Coulson reacted to her. Now imagine if the X-Men somehow do blow up the Moon in this story, how great would that be?

We then get back into the meat of things, with OG Cyclops and Jean Grey looking for asylum with Present-Day Cyclops and his team. This was all a bit recap-tacular, but it was necessary, and since it’s Bendis, all of the dialogue shone. I especially liked the reactions of the newer characters in the margins, those characters are obviously not major parts of this story, but they are still cool. I also liked the increasingly disturbing Magik’s role here, she is one messed-up lady.

We then go back to the other X-Men and the Future dudes, as Kitty and Rachel Grey are taken to task for allowing Scott and Jean to escape. Its looking increasingly likely that the Future X-Men are up to some seriously shady mental manipulation here, and the writers of this story are being subtle about it, but it’s there, notice that both Storm and Magneto tell someone that they are ‘still greaving the loss of Xavier’, pretty much the exact same words, that, in my mind, were definitely planted there by either Xavier Jr or Jean-Xorn. Present-Day Cyclops decides to help his younger self, and whilst there most definitely are some creepy undertones to that decision, I think he’s right to, the Future X-Men are up to no good. Of course, at the end, they show up, and it looks like next issue will feature a showdown between Emma Frost and Jean-Xorn. Emma said the message boards will love this, and guess what… she’s right!

This story has continued to be very enjoyable, even with more slower-paced issues like this one, as I’ve said before, so much of what has made the X-Titles good for the past year is that the conflicts are not just physical, but philosophical, about who says what, and this issue continued that, only on a larger scale.

Chris Bachalo’s art was great as usual, the only problem with it was the plethora of inkers, which did give the book a bit of a mish-mashed feel, but his pencils are strong enough and distinctive enough to avoid that problem. We’ve now seen what Bendis and Wood are bringing to this story, next week sees Jason Aaron’s turn, I can’t wait to see what he and his glorious beard do.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand