Advertisement

Captain Marvel #16 (Ginchy Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Captain Marvel #16 (Ginchy Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:45 am

Look you guys, you know I’m a big fan of Captain Marvel and this whole series, but seriously, this issue was really kind of bad. Hell, I’d go as far to say it wasn’t just bad, it was entirely unnecessary and a real waste of money.

Unlike the previous ‘Infinity’ tie-in issue, where Kelly-Sue DeConnick and co-writer Jen Van Meter did a decent enough job of ‘dancing through the crossover raindrops’ and telling their own story, here, pretty much the entire issue was just a retelling of stuff we’ve already read, whether in last week’s issue of Avengers, or this week’s issue of Infinity. There was almost nothing new here, apart from maybe a little bit more detail on the nature of Carol’s Binary powers and some moderately entertaining banter between Cap and Spider-Woman, but apart from that… nada. Seriously, more of this comic was written by Jonathan Hickman than the two credited writers. I’ve been enjoying Infinity a lot, but it seems like the fact that it’s been so tightly-plotted by just one writer has not left the tie-ins very much room. It’s a shame, because normally, this book is very good.

Patrick Oliffe’s art was solid, but when you’ve seen the same scenes already when drawn by the likes of Leinil Yu, Dustin Weaver and Jerome Opena, it kind of pales in comparison and looks very old-fashioned. Let’s hope #17 can bring things back on track with Carol’s own ongoing storylines, because this was just lame.

I wonder if there are any people out there who are reading this book, but not Infinity, perhaps they enjoyed it more? I dunno, but this was just a re-tread of stuff we’ve already seen, a real missed-opportunity and a bummer.

Advertisement

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 793 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Re: Captain Marvel #16 (Ginchy Spoilers)

Postby The Old Doctor » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:51 am

Punchy wrote:Look you guys, you know I’m a big fan of Captain Marvel and this whole series, but seriously, this issue was really kind of bad. Hell, I’d go as far to say it wasn’t just bad, it was entirely unnecessary and a real waste of money.

Unlike the previous ‘Infinity’ tie-in issue, where Kelly-Sue DeConnick and co-writer Jen Van Meter did a decent enough job of ‘dancing through the crossover raindrops’ and telling their own story, here, pretty much the entire issue was just a retelling of stuff we’ve already read, whether in last week’s issue of Avengers, or this week’s issue of Infinity. There was almost nothing new here, apart from maybe a little bit more detail on the nature of Carol’s Binary powers and some moderately entertaining banter between Cap and Spider-Woman, but apart from that… nada. Seriously, more of this comic was written by Jonathan Hickman than the two credited writers. I’ve been enjoying Infinity a lot, but it seems like the fact that it’s been so tightly-plotted by just one writer has not left the tie-ins very much room. It’s a shame, because normally, this book is very good.

Patrick Oliffe’s art was solid, but when you’ve seen the same scenes already when drawn by the likes of Leinil Yu, Dustin Weaver and Jerome Opena, it kind of pales in comparison and looks very old-fashioned. Let’s hope #17 can bring things back on track with Carol’s own ongoing storylines, because this was just lame.

I wonder if there are any people out there who are reading this book, but not Infinity, perhaps they enjoyed it more? I dunno, but this was just a re-tread of stuff we’ve already seen, a real missed-opportunity and a bummer.

It's on my catch up list. But thanks for pointing out why I hate crossovers events.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand