Advertisement

Superior Spider-Man #18 (Ugh, tell me this isn't cosplay Spo

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 88 posts
Title: Shitlord

Superior Spider-Man #18 (Ugh, tell me this isn't cosplay Spo

Postby Punchy » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:43 am

This Spider-Man 2099 crossover story continues to be a hell of a lot of fun, even for someone like me, who, as I said last time, is not at all familiar with Spidey 2099.

The issue begins with the two Spider-Men face to face, and Dan Slott has a lot of fun with the fact that, whilst Miguel O’Hara knows who the present day Spider-Man is (or was), SpOck has literally no idea, this dude could be a blue symbiote for all he knows. This was a good way to demonstrate a fact that a few fans have found a little confusing, that the only memories of Peter Parker’s that Doc Ock can access are the ones he had already looked at prior to #9 of this series, and also ramped up the danger for our ‘hero’, as the mysterious stranger from the future knows his secret identity, and could very well figure out what’s going on.

The fight between the Spideys was very cool, and the way Dan Slott has Tiberius Stone in the background, mucking things up for SpOck without him knowing was very clever. Just the basic idea for this story is very clever, Spider-Man 2099 knows that doing the right thing here and stopping the bad guy will lead to his own erasure from history, what should he do? Of course, Superior Spider-Man has no such qualms, he’s just out to stop Stone to keep Horizon going and fuel his ego.

Unfortunately, in the process of trying to smuggle his latest experiments out, he may very well have lost his job. After months and months of everything going way too swimmingly for SpOck, it looks like his life is getting a dose of that Parker luck after all. That ending certainly seems to hint that SpOck has majorly fucked up, just as 2099 was about to save the day, and Grady Scraps was about to prove that Tiberius Stone was behind all of Horizon’s troubles, SpOck swings in and decks 2099. Uh-oh…

Ryan Stegman’s artwork was once again very good, he’s a great fit for Spider-Man, and here, not only does he get to draw to of them, but he really manages to make Superior Spidey’s new costume look fantastic. This was another excellent issue of Superior Spider-Man, this book has never once let me down, even though I was kind of confused by the Goblin scene in this issue, why is the Green Goblin dressing up as the Hobgoblin? It’s odd, and I do have to say that I think there are too many Goblins these days, hopefully this big story that Slott has up his sleeves will whittle them down a bit.

But in the meantime, we’ve got a Time-Crisis to sort out, wouldn’t it be crazy if this story ended with Superior Spider-Man erasing Spider-Man 2099 from history? I would love that, it would piss people off so much.

Advertisement

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 243 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Re: Superior Spider-Man #18 (Ugh, tell me this isn't cosplay

Postby Zechs » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:51 pm

I think Green Goblin is setting up Kingsley since he's basically the only card left out there in the criminal underworld that Spock hasn't smashed (Owl, Kingpin, and others have fallen). I just wonder how Slott will tie up that current subplot since Spock is obviously occupied with Miguel and Stone.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

HNutz
PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Liked in: 702 posts

Postby HNutz » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:20 pm

I was happy that they actually referenced the Spider-Man/Spider-Man 2099 crossover from way back when.

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 382 posts

Postby Draco x » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:28 pm

Zechs wrote:I think Green Goblin is setting up Kingsley since he's basically the only card left out there in the criminal underworld that Spock hasn't smashed (Owl, Kingpin, and others have fallen). I just wonder how Slott will tie up that current subplot since Spock is obviously occupied with Miguel and Stone.

Not sure how I feel about this as the only Hobgoblin I want to see is the original one and not someone else pretending to be him. Plus this confirms GG isn't Norman as Norman would rather hunt down Kingsley and kill him rather than dress up as him to set him up.

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: I mean... ROBINS have wings...
Formerly: DOOP SPEAK

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:59 pm

I'm a little lukewarm on all this Goblin King stuff. I have faith that Slott will make me interested (I despised the idea of Superior Spider-man, and wouldn't even have read if a friend didn't make it a point to lend me his copies. Now it's one of the few Marvel titles I buy monthly.) I don't know much about 2099 either, so Stegman's art is really what's interesting me in this arc. Holy fuck that man can draw. The page where Ock lifts the car above his head was incredible. It's a pity we have to go back to Ramos and his boneless flexy people next issue.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1070 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:27 pm

Punchy wrote:I would love that, it would piss people off so much.

Dude, that's not cool man. Why do you thrive off people's misery?! :smt011
ImageImageImage

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:46 pm

Grayson wrote:
Dude, that's not cool man. Why do you thrive off people's misery?! :smt011

Because it's funny?

:P

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:10 pm

Didn't Slott or someone say that Spider-man 2099 would be involved in a book during All-New Marvel NOW? I believe they said that back when they were still calling it "2.0."

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:15 pm

... guess that doesn't mean the 2099 universe needs to survive, though.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:31 pm

Spider-Man 2099 will survive... only to die in Avengers Arena 2!

Mwahahahaha

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 243 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:14 pm

Punchy wrote:Spider-Man 2099 will survive... only to die in Avengers Arena 2!

Mwahahahaha

Ptf like Slott wouldn't like to add Miguel to his dead Spider-Man belt.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand