Advertisement

Infinity #3 (This is when the heavens turned Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 58 posts
Title: Shitlord

Infinity #3 (This is when the heavens turned Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:24 pm

I’ve said before that my favourite side of the Infinity coin is the Earth-set Thanos storyline, so I was a little bit annoyed that the entire first two thirds of this issue were focused on the space stuff instead, but I nevertheless enjoyed this issue.

The artwork from Weaver and Opena continues to be fantastic, and their two styles mesh together incredibly well, every page looks beautiful, I particularly liked the sequence by Opena where Starbrand unleashed his power, that was some iconic shit right there.

So, with the space-stuff, everything is looking pretty bleak for the Avengers and the rest of the Galactic Alliance, after J’Son Of Spartax’s dick-move in last week’s Avengers, the Builders have attacked again, and seem to have taken the upper hand, with many alien races surrendering. Including the Centaurians (think Yondu from Guardians Of The Galaxy), the Kymellians (Power Pack!) and perhaps most importantly, the fucking Kree! J’Son also takes the Spartax home, but screw those guys. So, basically, the Galactic Alliance is now only the Avengers, the Shi’Ar, the Skrulls and Annihilus’ Negative Zone crew, which may sound like bad news, but for this story, it’s actually very good news. Up until now, the Avengers have been a minor part in this conflict really, just following orders, but given the Alliance’s depleted state, they can now take centre-stage and actually do something. Captain America makes a plan… and it works.

They lure the Builders in, and thanks to Manifold, teleport inside one of their Worldkiller ships, and take control of it, giving them a weapon that can actually defeat the Builders, since it’s one of their own. They rescue the captured Avengers, and when Starbrand does his thing, it looks like for the first time, the Builders are on the ropes, exciting stuff.

Hickman then takes us back down to Earth, and as well as reflecting what’s been going on in some of the Infinity tie-in books (we see Red Hulk, which is I assume a reference to what’s been happening in Thunderbolts, and also Luke Cage’s new Mighty Avengers), in particular New Avengers, picking up with the Illuminati about to deal with the latest Incursion. Well, the Illuminati apart from Black Bolt, because when we last saw him, he was about to be attacked by Thanos. When Thanos arrives in Attilan, it’s deserted apart from Black Bolt, Maximus The Mad and Lockjaw, Black Bolt and his brother have sent the Inhumans away, teleporting them across the Earth, each of them to a different place. Thanos confronts good ol’ Blackagar, asking him to hand over Thanos’ son, but Black Bolt refuses, and he does that thing he rarely does, but when he does it, it’ss always awesome, he speaks. Just one word, ‘No’, but it’s enough to destroy Attilan, and also activate whatever device it is he had Maximus create.

It looks like this is the inciting event for Matt Fraction’s upcoming Inhumanity series, Black Bolt has not only unleashed the Terrigen Mists upon the world, but he’s also sent those who were already Inhuman across the planet as well. Truly, this is the age of the Inhuman, which is pretty cool. I wonder if this is the end of Black Bolt? I doubt Thanos is dead here, but Black Bolt, Maximus and Lockjaw very well could be.

This was another excellent issue of Infinity, the Earth-scenes were as excellent as always, and with the shift in momentum for the Avengers out in space, I enjoyed those scenes a lot as well, this really is a very well put together event, and with stuff happening in it like what just happened to Attilan, it really does feel like a capital ‘e’ Event.

Advertisement

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 853 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Re: Infinity #3 (This is when the heavens turned Spoilers)

Postby Grayson » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:35 pm

Since Black Bolt was "killed" during War of Kings and revived during Hickman's FF run, I doubt that Hickman will kill him again so quickly and easily. However, his response to Thanos was easily one of my favorite moments of the week.
ImageImageImage

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 117 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:59 pm

I'm starting to think that the endgame of Infinity is The Avengers becoming more of an intergalactic organization, with maybe New Avengers evolving out of the Illuminati into something more Earth-centered, leading into a confrontation between the two (The long heralded "Fall")

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 327 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:01 pm

Grayson wrote:Since Black Bolt was "killed" during War of Kings and revived during Hickman's FF run, I doubt that Hickman will kill him again so quickly and easily. However, his response to Thanos was easily one of my favorite moments of the week.

It would have been a cool scene if it wasn't telegraphed a mile away when they showed that Blackbolt was alone in Attilan.

And with BBolt yappin away in that other dimension, him speaking at all is now a lesser event.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:23 pm

Amoebas wrote:It would have been a cool scene if it wasn't telegraphed a mile away when they showed that Blackbolt was alone in Attilan.

And with BBolt yappin away in that other dimension, him speaking at all is now a lesser event.

Originally I was going to say something about Black Bolt speaking. Anytime that Black Bolt speaks through the natural events of a story is a chilling moment and I feel that even though we knew that the endgame of this issue was going to be Black Bolt speaking to Thanos, it was still a powerful moment. I will agree with you about Black Bolt speaking to the Illuminati though, that was completely unnecessary. All the more reason why I am not a fan of separating Black Bolt and Medusa. Introducing the other Inhuman brides was stupid enough but creating a rift between BB and Medusa is a monumentally stupid decision.
ImageImageImage

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:31 pm

Grayson wrote:
Originally I was going to say something about Black Bolt speaking. Anytime that Black Bolt speaks through the natural events of a story is a chilling moment and I feel that even though we knew that the endgame of this issue was going to be Black Bolt speaking to Thanos, it was still a powerful moment. I will agree with you about Black Bolt speaking to the Illuminati though, that was completely unnecessary. All the more reason why I am not a fan of separating Black Bolt and Medusa. Introducing the other Inhuman brides was stupid enough but creating a rift between BB and Medusa is a monumentally stupid decision.

Not if the resulting conflict in the Inhumans series gets as Game of Thrones-like as reports indicate.

- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:20 pm

Juan Cena wrote:Not if the resulting conflict in the Inhumans series gets as Game of Thrones-like as reports indicate.

I don't care what style a new Inhumans series is going to be done in, adding additional brides for Black Bolt and separating him from the his actual wife that he actually cares about and loves is a stupid idea. I'm not talking about sending the characters to 2 different places, it was my understanding that they didn't part on the best of terms when last they saw each other and since he returned from the dead their interactions haven't exactly been the warmest. If they do release and Game of Thrones inspired Inhumans book, I would like to believe that the king and queen of the Inhumans will be on the same page figuratively if not literally.
ImageImageImage

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:38 pm

Grayson wrote:
I don't care what style a new Inhumans series is going to be done in, adding additional brides for Black Bolt and separating him from the his actual wife that he actually cares about and loves is a stupid idea. I'm not talking about sending the characters to 2 different places, it was my understanding that they didn't part on the best of terms when last they saw each other and since he returned from the dead their interactions haven't exactly been the warmest. If they do release and Game of Thrones inspired Inhumans book, I would like to believe that the king and queen of the Inhumans will be on the same page figuratively if not literally.

Of course, we're dealing with Inhuman culture here, which really hasn't been explored as deeply as it could be. You shouldn't be expecting it to be completely like regular Western culture. That includes husband-wife relationships and politics.

- Sons of the Desert

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:52 pm

Juan Cena wrote:Of course, we're dealing with Inhuman culture here, which really hasn't been explored as deeply as it could be. You shouldn't be expecting it to be completely like regular Western culture. That includes husband-wife relationships and politics.

That was the same type of argument people used to defend the changes that were made to Starfire at the start of the New 52. They didn't work out then and they really don't work now. The Inhumans have been around for decades now. If you want to introduce concepts like this, then create new characters and introduce it through them.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:16 pm

Grayson wrote:
That was the same type of argument people used to defend the changes that were made to Starfire at the start of the New 52. They didn't work out then and they really don't work now. The Inhumans have been around for decades now. If you want to introduce concepts like this, then create new characters and introduce it through them.

Yes, but in many ways, what the Inhumans are as a culture that while it's been around for decades, still hasn't been fully defined or explored.

I for one am happy the Inhumans are being portrayed as something only a step or two above generic sci-fi. I do want them to seem a little more unique and alien. It's just illogical that an isolated society is going to act like your average every-day generic American city dweller.

- Sons of the Desert

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 149 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:39 am

Juan Cena wrote:

Yes, but in many ways, what the Inhumans are as a culture that while it's been around for decades, still hasn't been fully defined or explored.

I for one am happy the Inhumans are being portrayed as something only a step or two above generic sci-fi. I do want them to seem a little more unique and alien. It's just illogical that an isolated society is going to act like your average every-day generic American city dweller.

Where have you been for the last 10 years? :smt017

If anything it would be far more appropriate to do with the Eternals, and would make far more sense as far as Thanos, and his offspring, are concerned.

Hab

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:01 pm

habitual wrote:
Where have you been for the last 10 years? :smt017

If anything it would be far more appropriate to do with the Eternals, and would make far more sense as far as Thanos, and his offspring, are concerned.

Hab

The Inhumans stuff I've read in the past decade hasn't delved too deep in Inhuman culture. Historically, Inhuman stories have centered on the Royal Family and it's dealings with outsiders or with running the Kree or stuff like that, and not on the greater society.

As for the Eternals, they've historically been treated like the Inhumans as a generic sci-fi society. There are signs of technobabble on how Eternals differ from humans, but the culture has always been shown as being similar to modern Western culture the majority of the time.

- Sons of the Desert

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby habitual » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:06 pm

Juan Cena wrote:
The Inhumans stuff I've read in the past decade hasn't delved too deep in Inhuman culture. Historically, Inhuman stories have centered on the Royal Family and it's dealings with outsiders or with running the Kree or stuff like that, and not on the greater society.

As for the Eternals, they've historically been treated like the Inhumans as a generic sci-fi society. There are signs of technobabble on how Eternals differ from humans, but the culture has always been shown as being similar to modern Western culture the majority of the time.

The Inhumans past has been more fleshed out in the last ten years than it has in the prior 30.

And what exactly is Thanos? Definitely makes more sense to be using the Eternals as opposed to the Inhumans.

Hab

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 294 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:31 pm

Y'all take this shit too serious.

I read this before NA 8 and was confused as hell. Chalked it up to Hickmanism but then I thought about them and it made sense.

I like Nac's idea about the Avengers becoming Intergalactic and Earth-bound and whatnot.

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby habitual » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:38 pm

Something's going to have to be done at the end of the event.

One of my only real problems with Infinity is that any team with Thor, Hyperion and a Starbrand is going to be way too powerful for anyone to take seriously.

Hab
Last edited by habitual on Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand