Advertisement

DC's characters don't deserve DC

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Chessack
cheese

Liked in: 329 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Re: DC's characters don't deserve DC

Postby Chessack » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:52 pm

No no... not the circle with one star. Circle and stars, plural. I.e., this one:

Of course, mostly that's because it's the one I grew up with, I guess... but I really like the style of it. Always thought it looked better than Marvel's.

Advertisement

holtom2000
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby holtom2000 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:36 pm

Chessack wrote:No no... not the circle with one star. Circle and stars, plural. I.e., this one:

Of course, mostly that's because it's the one I grew up with, I guess... but I really like the style of it. Always thought it looked better than Marvel's.

that's an iconic logo and one that stood the test of time
the fact they're made two more since Didiot took over reinforces the 'New Coke' mentality

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 514 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: Daddy Longlegs, Max Power

Postby outsider » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:10 pm

The DC Bullet is the best logo for sure. 8)
-

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 369 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:12 pm

outsider wrote:The DC Bullet is the best logo for sure. 8)

Agreed

Thank you Troy for the sig

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 117 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:22 pm

Chessack wrote:No no... not the circle with one star. Circle and stars, plural. I.e., this one:

I'm pretty sure that's the one that was originally involved with the lawsuit, even if Uncle Rich didn't show it in his original article. It does have a similarity to the DC Shoes logo.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 117 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:24 pm

holtom2000 wrote:
that's an iconic logo and one that stood the test of time
the fact they're made two more since Didiot took over reinforces the 'New Coke' mentality

But it couldn't stand up to a court of law, thanks to DC's incompetence.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Chessack
cheese

Liked in: 329 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Postby Chessack » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:18 pm

I don't think the classic one is the one involved in the lawsuit.

According to this page, which is the original reference in this current thread,

DC Shoes' lawyers looked into DC Comic's trademarks and discovered that, despite the fuss when their new logo was launched, they'd never actually got around to trademarking it properly.

The logo shown in that article for reference is this one:

Also, note that the article is dated 2008, long after DC had stopped using the classic logo with the 4 stars on the thick circular background. As far as I can tell, DC started using the 'one star' version of the logo in July of 2005. So when the article was written in 2008, that "one star" logo was "the new one" to which it was referring. Also, surely by 2008, there would not have been a kerfluffle over a logo that DC was no longer using... and DC would not have paid to 'keep using it.' Also, according to this article, the current logo was put in place because DC got tired of paying "royalties" on the "circle with one star" logo.

So I'm pretty sure the classic logo was not the subject of the suit.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 96 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:05 pm

The best logo ever !

Draco x
FROGMAN

Liked in: 274 posts

Postby Draco x » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:07 pm

Chessack wrote:I don't think the classic one is the one involved in the lawsuit.

According to this page, which is the original reference in this current thread,

The logo shown in that article for reference is this one:

Also, note that the article is dated 2008, long after DC had stopped using the classic logo with the 4 stars on the thick circular background. As far as I can tell, DC started using the 'one star' version of the logo in July of 2005. So when the article was written in 2008, that "one star" logo was "the new one" to which it was referring. Also, surely by 2008, there would not have been a kerfluffle over a logo that DC was no longer using... and DC would not have paid to 'keep using it.' Also, according to this article, the current logo was put in place because DC got tired of paying "royalties" on the "circle with one star" logo.

So I'm pretty sure the classic logo was not the subject of the suit.

That's what I understand as well.

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The Asylum