Advertisement

Batman '66 #3 (Vhere is mein mind? Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 74 posts
Title: Shitlord

Batman '66 #3 (Vhere is mein mind? Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:27 am

Another very enjoyable issue of Batman ’66, Jeff Parker and his various artistic collaborators are really knocking this stuff out of the park. Much like last issue, this book features 2 stories, and both were a lot of fun.

The first comes from Parker and Joe Quinones, from his Wednesday Comics Green Lantern stuff through to his FF fill-ins, has become one of my favourite artists, and his cartoonish style is perfect for the tone of Batman ’66. This story focuses on the most famous of Batman’s villains, The Joker, as he is targeted by the mysterious Red Hood. It was great fun seeing a much lighter take on the Clown Prince of Crime, there’s only so much of a guy ripping his own face off that you can really take, and this goofy version made for a good alternative. Plus, how great was it that Joe Quinones actually drew in Cesar Romero’s moustache? Amazing.

It was also fun to see a 60s-style take on Harley Quinn. I noticed last time that Parker used Kathy Kane, and now Harley, he really is bringing in the whole of the Batman Universe into this madcap reality! As I’ve said before, crucial to this concept working is that it’s not all a joke, and the plot here, with the Joker planning an escape in his own subconscious was very clever and well-done, and even though Romero-Joker is not as psycho as the modern DCU take, he’s still shown as being a very dangerous foe.

The second story, with Parker being joined by Sandy Jarrell, is much more comedic, but that makes sense, given that the villain here is Egg-Head, so there are plenty of gloriously terrible egg-based puns. I loved how Parker got a little meta here, and had Egghead worry more about his puns than his plan to kill Batman and Robin. Unlike Joker ’66, Egg-Head is not a dangerous villain, he’s a joke, but crucially, he’s a funny one.

I’m really loving this book, and I would probably go as far to say it’s the best Batman comic out there right now, I like Snyder’s series a lot, but Zero Year is a bit of a drag, and this one has amazing art, , well crafted stories, a good sense of humour and most of all… puns! It’s egg-zemplary!

Advertisement

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 389 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Re: Batman '66 #3 (Vhere is mein mind? Spoilers)

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:44 pm

I loved the scene in Arkham where the reader is made to think that the BM66 version of the Joker might be closer to the current version, and then from out of the side pops the Clown Prince of Crime.

Thank you Troy for the sig

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand