Advertisement

Review Group #397 - Zero #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 20 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Re: Review Group #397 - Zero #1

Postby thefourthman » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:13 am

Not at shop bought on Comixology. will try to knock out all star western today.

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:29 am

Ever since I was blown away by his truncated run on Suicide Squad, I’ve been very excited for this new Image series from Ales Kot, a writer who I believe has a big future, and indeed, DC’s loss is not only Image’s gain, but now also Marvel’s, as he’s got a gig there co-writing Secret Avengers.

This first issue of Zero felt like only a toe-dip in the water, but already, I’m excited to see where this is all going. Zero is about a bad-ass secret agent named Edward Zero, who seems to have been part of some kind of weird experimentation from the British Government. We don’t know exactly what it is yet, but I am certainly intrigued by the little snippets we get here. The mission for Zero here is certainly dangerous and complicated, because it involves the Gaza Strip, which even in the year 2018 has not been sorted out (let’s face it, it’s never going to get sorted out). Hamas has stolen some kind of super-power technology from British Intelligence, and now a super-powered Hamas Soldier is in fist-fight with a super-powered Israeli in the middle of Gaza. Zero’s job is to get in, and retrieve the technology so Israel doesn’t know that Britain lost it. It’s complicated stuff, but it all seems very real, and setting the book 5 years in the future gives Kot that bit of leeway when he’s drawing from the real world as this kind of technology could very well actually be around come 2018, I wouldn’t be surprised.

So, Zero is trapped in the middle of this massive fight, and boy, is it bloody, it’s the Israel/Palestine conflict boiled down to just 2 men, and our hero is definitely outmatched. I loved the scene where the two super-soldiers are bounding across the rooftops like the Hulk, and Zero tries to do the same, and, whilst hejust about makes it, he does end up face-first in the dirt. In the end, it takes a Tank to stop these guys, and Zero manages to retrieve the stolen tech, but he also decides to kill the Israeli soldier too, because of an innocent child crushed in their battle. The last page ends with Zero revealing he lies to his superiors about what happens, and that he’s going to be lying a lot more, which is exciting.
Speaking of last pages, this book is unique, as it utilises every available space to tell it’s story, and even the inside covers are story pages. This was weird at first, but I really like it, makes the book seem unique, and also very much value for money, this is 30 pages of comic, with no ads, for $2.99, to be honest, a much better deal than Marvel and DC.

This was an intriguing introduction to an exciting new series, with Kot showing us who Zero is not through dialogue, but through action. We don’t know a lot about what this book is going to be yet, there are a few pages with Zero’s handlers, who look to be interesting characters, at first they seem to be adversarial towards each other, but then we see them having sex, so there’s a lot of complexity there. I can’t wait for future issues to peel back the layers on not just Zero, but on these other characters, and what the world will be like in 2018.

In terms of art, Zero is doing something different, as every issue will have a different penciler, which certainly brings to mind another great spy series, Warren Ellis’ Global Frequency. If this book can reach those heights, then we are in for a treat. First up here is Michael Walsh, who I’m not too familiar with, but he does a bang-up job here with a gritty, violent and realistic style, if you like John Paul Leon or Michael Lark, then Walsh is similar to that. It’s also worth praising the colours of Jordie Bellaire, who if I remember correctly, will be colouring every issue, even with the different artists, to provide some sense of continuity. This is a great idea, especially because Bellaire has, in a short space of time, become one of the best colourists in comics. I know I’m a bit lax at mentioning artists beyond the penciler in my reviews, but it’s not often the colourist really stands out to me, but on Zero, it looks like Bellaire is going to be very important, and it’s going to be interesting to see how she colours a wide variety of artists.

Image have done it once again, another #1, and another fascinating comic, that for me, can only get better from this baseline of awesome.

9/10

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 188 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:00 pm

Well I'm still full of shame but now I will be reading Change this week. This was my first exposure to Kot but good lord what an amazing issue. There isn't much more I can add to what's already been said by others and there isn't really a point in summarizing a comic since it's already been done. Its easier to rip a shitty comic. I will only be nit picky on the Israeli black ops tattoo since the army is in it's own weird way a religiously guided institution in a strange way so I doubt there would a black ops tattoo to identify a soldier. The strange inclusion of this doesn't take a way from it being a perfect comic.

doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:02 pm

Also I am honored to finally bring a comic with full frontal nudity to the review group.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

- Les Paul

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 287 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:21 pm

So, what's going on this week?

Thank you Troy for the sig

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:25 pm

Stephen Day wrote:So, what's going on this week?

Your mother.

- Les Paul

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 287 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:18 am

guitarsmashley wrote:Your mother.

No, your mother.

Thank you Troy for the sig

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 173 posts

Postby GHERU » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:14 am

Stephen Day wrote:So, what's going on this week?

with no member at 5 reviews I am calling an audible

Powerpuff Girls Vol 2 #1
or
Infinity Heist #1
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:19 am

Those are terrible picks.

- Les Paul

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby GHERU » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:21 am

guitarsmashley wrote:Those are terrible picks.

fair enough
screw it
free-for-all

at least that way I don't have to do any real work
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:39 am

GHERU wrote:fair enough
screw it
free-for-all

at least that way I don't have to do any real work

We must find a way for you to do work.

- Les Paul

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby GHERU » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:40 am

guitarsmashley wrote:
We must find a way for you to do work.

that seems unlikely
RUviews

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:06 am

GHERU wrote:that seems unlikely

I will be filibustering you sir.

- Les Paul

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand