Advertisement

Justice League Of America #7.3 - Shadow Thief (Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Justice League Of America #7.3 - Shadow Thief (Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:25 am

This was an odd one for me, mostly because I’ve never liked Hawkman at all, so I’m not familiar with this, or any previous incarnations of the Shadow Thief, so I went into it not caring at all, but in the end, Tom DeFalco actually managed to tell an interesting origin story for this character, and give her a fairly unique motivation for why she’s a villain.

The basic gist here is that Shadow Thief was an Israeli Mossad Agent who defected to the US and ARGUS, but was then betrayed by the fact that ARGUS had been infiltrated by Daemonites. Some weird alien gas kills her mother and brother, and she accidentally puts on what she thinks is a containment suit, but is actually the Shadow Thief outfit. Now, Shadow Thief hates all aliens, and she goes around killing any extra-terrestrials who are on Earth. Which in many ways, could actually be the origin of a superhero, rather than a villain, but DeFalco does make her extra brutal about killing the Thanagarians she fights in this issue, so it’s clear she’s taking it too far. A lot of our heroes in the various Justice Leagues are Aliens, Hawkman, Martian Manhunter, Superman, etc, so it should be fairly interesting to see what happens if and when this Shadow Thief returns to fight them.

So, really, this issue did it’s job, it took a villain I didn’t care about, and made me want to see her show up again, there wasn’t much more than that about from some very nice artwork from Chad Hardin (I may actually check out Harley Quinn now), but this was decent.

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Re: Justice League Of America #7.3 - Shadow Thief (Spoilers)

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:18 am

I kind of skimmed through this one. To tell you the truth, I'm a bit weary of ex-Mossad agents gone rogue in America's fantasies, used as short-hand for a bad-ass with little other context. If he had to go that cliched route, maybe DeFalco could have been more interesting and made her an ex-member of Kidon, the elite assassins squad that takes only the most promising agents from Mossad and trains them to execute terrorists and the like. It would have made more sense, and made for more interesting exposition.

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 476 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Re: Justice League Of America #7.3 - Shadow Thief (Spoilers)

Postby e_galston » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:02 pm

So Shadow Thief is pretty much Ziva from NCIS gone bad?

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand