Advertisement

Comixology's Most Pulled Titles - Sept 25

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 306 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Comixology's Most Pulled Titles - Sept 25

Postby IvCNuB4 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:18 am

From their weekly Pull list email:

Batman #23.4: Bane
Justice League #23.4: Secret Society
Saga #14
Detective Comics #23.4: Man Bat
Green Lantern #23.4: Sinestro
Batman and Robin #23.4: Killer Croc
Wolverine and the X-Men #36
Action Comics #23.4: Metallo
Aquaman #23.2: Ocean Master
Avengers #20 Infinity
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Advertisement

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 645 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Re: Comixology's Most Pulled Titles - Sept 25

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:14 pm

Wow, Wolverine and the X-Men and Avengers are doing great! :drunk
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Chessack
cheese

Liked in: 328 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Postby Chessack » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:10 pm

Actually, as surprising as this is, when I tested a handful of randomly-selected comics for a statistical correlation between pulls vs. actual sales, there wasn't one. This might change if I, say, tested a hundred titles, which I don't have time to do. But for the dozen or so I tried at random, # of pulls was not related to sales at all.

So I'm not sure that # of pulls means much of anything.

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 306 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:06 pm

When you did this correlation was it only for Comixolgy ? Does Comixology later post actual sales ? I'm trying to get a better understanding of how you did this analysis and what stats you were comparing.
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Chesscub
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 5 posts
Title: Bear du jour

Postby Chesscub » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:09 pm

Chessack wrote:Actually, as surprising as this is, when I tested a handful of randomly-selected comics for a statistical correlation between pulls vs. actual sales, there wasn't one. This might change if I, say, tested a hundred titles, which I don't have time to do. But for the dozen or so I tried at random, # of pulls was not related to sales at all.

So I'm not sure that # of pulls means much of anything.

The shop I go to uses Comixology to generate pull lists for their subscribers so that's probably why there's not a correlation between the two.

Chessack
cheese

Liked in: 328 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Postby Chessack » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:00 pm

Comixology and DC/Marvel do not publish digital sales statistics (at least, not anywhere I can find). The only means we have of judging sales is through print sales, as reported by Diamond. Nobody else reports actual sales, as far as I know. And of course, Diamond reports sales to the shops, not purchases by the customers after the shops have the books. So if issues are being bought up by the shops in a massive fit of speculation, but then sit around in unsold piles because customers don't want them, there would be no way to discover that.

Undoubtedly, part of the disconnect between ComiXology pull list and sales numbers is that many ComiXology pull list users buy digital rather than print comics. However, there is no way to test it vs. digital sales, as those are not reported.

Still, one would expect that there should be relatively little statistical difference between print sales and digital sales for a given series. I have never been able to divine a good reason why, for example, digital readers would swarm all over, say, Action Comics, but print readers would skip it. In general, the books reported as top digital sellers by ComiXology (without sales numbers, just ranks) seem to rank about the same way as the print rankings.

Therefore, one would expect, and I certainly did, that a high-pull comic would sell high on the Diamond list, and a low-pull comic would sell low. There would not be a one-to-one correspondence, but I certainly expected some statistical correlation. Yet I didn't find any.

Maybe I just chose the wrong books. Since this can really only be done by typing all the numbers in by hand (there's no obvious way to DL large databases of this stuff), and I didn't have the desire to spend hours typing things in, I only checked with a few of the comics whose sales patterns were most familiar to me.

If someone has a way to DL large amounts of data and can point me to it (say, the pulls for all of August and the sales for all of August) I'd be happy to do a more extensive correlation and see if there really is a match.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand