Advertisement

What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post
Formerly: Schmormerly

Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:07 pm

San Diego Diary by Gabrielle Bell. She writes mostly autobiographical stories, this was the story of a trip to Comic Con and the kind of absurd situations she and her friend found themselves in. Some parts were really funny.

Advertisement

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 191 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:52 am

Victorian Squid wrote:
I get them from a distributor, but here is Ben Urkowitz's TUMBLR site is that what you mean?

http://b-m-f-u.tumblr.com/

If you can't find them let me know, maybe I can mail you a set as they don't weigh much at all.

How much do you think? I can always PayPal you.

I did move though. Across the continent.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 191 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:59 am

Invisibles vols 2 and 3: Apocalpstick and Entropy in the UK.

Read them in one sitting so I'll review them together. Reminded me why I love and hate the series. Mostly love the fact that there's so much going on but hate some of the stories. I love that story about the soldier but hated the story about Boy. Jiminez is fantastic on his three issue arc and steals the show. Jill Thompson is also great. I loved that story about Lord Fanny the most because it's so full of everything. While I think this series sometimes suffers shit plots at the expense of idea overload, the first volume of this series really says a lot with a great overall narrative.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:00 am

Pizza Dog wrote:
It was :D

The lads I went with were lame and wanted to go home quite early on in the Night, so didn't get to mix with many of them :( I didn't want to stay out on my own, not knowing anyone.

Hoping they won't do the same this Year.

Me and my friends go to Thought Bubble and the party every year, if you want to hang out, give me a PM nearer to the event.

Pizza Dog
cheese

Liked in: 174 posts
Title: Awesomesauce

Postby Pizza Dog » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:35 am

Punchy wrote:
Me and my friends go to Thought Bubble and the party every year, if you want to hang out, give me a PM nearer to the event.

Sure will. Thanks :D
Events been to:

SFX Weekender 3 - Sci-Fi Weekender 4 & 5 - Kapow! '12 - Leeds Comic Con '11, '12 & '13 - Skottie Young Signing Tour '13 - Newcastle Film and Comic Con '14 - London Film and Comic Con '14

Events going to:

Sheffield Film & Comic Con '14 - Leeds Comic Con '14 - Sci-Fi Weekender 6 - Newcastle Film & Comic Con '15

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 169 posts

Postby GHERU » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:53 am

Sixth Gun vol 5
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:23 am

Keb wrote:How much do you think? I can always PayPal you.

I did move though. Across the continent.

Don't worry about it, just PM me your new address and I'll send you #1 & 2.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 92 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:30 pm

Pizza Dog wrote:
Yeah, I was close to staying by myself but a young girl alone in the City on a Saturday night is a tad risky.

NYCC would be a great one to go to as your first. I'd love to go to a Comic Con in America at some point. Majorly jealous. 8)

I'm dreaming about it. I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

misac
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 38 posts

Postby misac » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:29 pm

Here’s some stuff I read in recent weeks…

Conan v.13: Queen of the Black Coast – Brian Wood’s first arc since the relaunch. It was pretty good, I liked it. It’s kind of weird though, it’s a relaunch but the trade numbering continues the previous series. And Conan seemed younger, like maybe in his early 20s.

Art was great. I was really looking forward to Becky Cloonan and was kind of pissed she only did half the trade. But the guy that did the second half was really good. Had some of the best panels; Belit is in disguise in some fancy outfit and she kills some dudes and she’s covered in blood. And the other one with Conan cutting a guy across the torso taking hands and all, and there were bits of armor flying around. I think this guy stole the show. Also Conan beheads a bunch of dudes.

Camelot 3000 – King Arthur reawakens in the year 3000 to fight an alien invasion. What more do you need? Anyway, it’s really good and kind of dark. There’s a little humor with Arthur dealing with the future but he adapts pretty quick, he’s pretty badass.

Brian Bolland on art so you know it was great. I especially liked closeups on faces. And the outfits were totally 80s, love it.

Dungeons & Dragons v.3: Down – Seems this is the last trade. My favorite so far, story centered around one of my favorite characters so the story takes place in a dwarf city.

GODZILLA: Half Century War – Got this based on The Enthusiast review and I’m glad I did. Guy fights Godzilla for 50 years!

Each issue takes place in a different decade and I think a different movie, for sure the first issue takes place in the first movie. Really made me want to see some movies and pick up the comic. I’m really late on the IDW licensed comics. I’ve started TMNT, D&D, and now Godzilla. Don’t know where to start with G.I. Joe but I got the first issue of the Star Trek movieverse comic

Really liked the art, I think it’s the dude that did Orc Strain. The people were kind of cartoony (not a bad thing) but the monsters looked great! Especially when Godzilla was shooting fire! It also had an epic feel to it, I don’t think the movies really capture the massiveness of these guys and all the damage they cause.

Jack Kirby’s O.M.A.C. – Not as good an idea as the Eternals or cool characters as the New Gods but it’s still really fun. The first cover and page were super creepy.

Art was amazing! I know some people say Kirby’s overrated but I think I’ve been appreciating him enough. Each issue had these two page spreads that were so great. My favorite was OMAC tackling a bunch of soldiers. I’m going to have to get the Demon trade sometime soon, in the meantime I think I’m going to read his Black Panther soon, I have them on hand.

LobsterJ
Great Scott!!!

Liked in: 30 posts

Postby LobsterJ » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:26 pm

Read DC: New Frontier vol 1. I know some people wet themselves over Darwyn Cooke but I find him to be a pretty big snooze.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:20 pm

Rumbling Chapter 2 by Kevin Huizenga

Very intriguing, hope there's another installment soon. Huizenga is a brilliant cartoonist.

LobsterJ
Great Scott!!!

Liked in: 30 posts

Postby LobsterJ » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:02 am

Read the big deluxe edition of "Solo" series that just came out. Some great artists, but kind of underscores the fact that most of the time good artists aren't great writers. Also, Damion Scott's issue was terrible. And Brendan McCarthys.

Pizza Dog
cheese

Liked in: 174 posts
Title: Awesomesauce

Postby Pizza Dog » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:16 pm

Young Marvel: Little X-Men, Little Avengers, Big Trouble.
Events been to:

SFX Weekender 3 - Sci-Fi Weekender 4 & 5 - Kapow! '12 - Leeds Comic Con '11, '12 & '13 - Skottie Young Signing Tour '13 - Newcastle Film and Comic Con '14 - London Film and Comic Con '14

Events going to:

Sheffield Film & Comic Con '14 - Leeds Comic Con '14 - Sci-Fi Weekender 6 - Newcastle Film & Comic Con '15

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 92 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:05 pm

misac wrote:Here’s some stuff I read in recent weeks…

Conan v.13: Queen of the Black Coast – Brian Wood’s first arc since the relaunch. It was pretty good, I liked it. It’s kind of weird though, it’s a relaunch but the trade numbering continues the previous series. And Conan seemed younger, like maybe in his early 20s.

Art was great. I was really looking forward to Becky Cloonan and was kind of pissed she only did half the trade. But the guy that did the second half was really good. Had some of the best panels; Belit is in disguise in some fancy outfit and she kills some dudes and she’s covered in blood. And the other one with Conan cutting a guy across the torso taking hands and all, and there were bits of armor flying around. I think this guy stole the show. Also Conan beheads a bunch of dudes.

Camelot 3000 – King Arthur reawakens in the year 3000 to fight an alien invasion. What more do you need? Anyway, it’s really good and kind of dark. There’s a little humor with Arthur dealing with the future but he adapts pretty quick, he’s pretty badass.

Brian Bolland on art so you know it was great. I especially liked closeups on faces. And the outfits were totally 80s, love it.

Dungeons & Dragons v.3: Down – Seems this is the last trade. My favorite so far, story centered around one of my favorite characters so the story takes place in a dwarf city.

GODZILLA: Half Century War – Got this based on The Enthusiast review and I’m glad I did. Guy fights Godzilla for 50 years!

Each issue takes place in a different decade and I think a different movie, for sure the first issue takes place in the first movie. Really made me want to see some movies and pick up the comic. I’m really late on the IDW licensed comics. I’ve started TMNT, D&D, and now Godzilla. Don’t know where to start with G.I. Joe but I got the first issue of the Star Trek movieverse comic

Really liked the art, I think it’s the dude that did Orc Strain. The people were kind of cartoony (not a bad thing) but the monsters looked great! Especially when Godzilla was shooting fire! It also had an epic feel to it, I don’t think the movies really capture the massiveness of these guys and all the damage they cause.

Jack Kirby’s O.M.A.C. – Not as good an idea as the Eternals or cool characters as the New Gods but it’s still really fun. The first cover and page were super creepy.

Art was amazing! I know some people say Kirby’s overrated but I think I’ve been appreciating him enough. Each issue had these two page spreads that were so great. My favorite was OMAC tackling a bunch of soldiers. I’m going to have to get the Demon trade sometime soon, in the meantime I think I’m going to read his Black Panther soon, I have them on hand.

Did you get the new Camelot 3000 trade? It had much better paper than the Swamp Thing tpbs. I love Bolland, and it's great to see him illustrating 12 full issues. I wish he would do more interior work.

I have a problem with Wood's Conan, if you've read the original Roy Thomas / John Buscema run, it'd be hard to find something that can be compared to it. I didn't enjoy Cloonan's art, she even draws a bottle that looks identical to a Johnnie Walker bottle (that's on the first issue). Now we all know that the shape of those bottles were only possible as a result of the industrialization process of the 19th century. No bottles like that could exist on the Hyborean age.

misac
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 38 posts

Postby misac » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:32 pm

Arion wrote:
Did you get the new Camelot 3000 trade? It had much better paper than the Swamp Thing tpbs. I love Bolland, and it's great to see him illustrating 12 full issues. I wish he would do more interior work.

I have a problem with Wood's Conan, if you've read the original Roy Thomas / John Buscema run, it'd be hard to find something that can be compared to it. I didn't enjoy Cloonan's art, she even draws a bottle that looks identical to a Johnnie Walker bottle (that's on the first issue). Now we all know that the shape of those bottles were only possible as a result of the industrialization process of the 19th century. No bottles like that could exist on the Hyborean age.

Yeah, it just came out. I like the paper in the Swamp Thing trades, the Fourth World hardcovers have it too.

I’ll take your Thomas/Buscema Conan and raise you Busiek/Nord. :-D That’s the best Conan for me.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand