Advertisement

Green Lantern #23.4: Sinestro

This is the forum for previews. They'll also show up in The News Stand and The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 553 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Green Lantern #23.4: Sinestro

Postby IvCNuB4 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:55 pm

DC Blog

The Book of Parallax holds the entire history of Sinestro and his Corps. When the Green Lanterns – led by none other than Hal Jordan – came to Sinestro’s home planet of Korugar, they plunged it into chaos. They cursed Sinestro’s name and, ultimately, brought about the destruction of the entire planet. But what became of Sinestro? One never-before-seen moment from those dark days holds the key to his future!

Written by: Matt Kindt
Art by: Dale Eaglesham
Cover: Billy Tan

Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Advertisement

eltopo
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 1 post
Title: The greatest poster ever
Formerly: Mister Fister, Johhny Assplay,TerriG

Re: Green Lantern #23.4: Sinestro

Postby eltopo » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:58 pm

interior art looks good

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 151 posts

Postby MrBlack » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:32 pm

eltopo wrote:interior art looks good

Dale Eaglesham does not disappoint.

Chesscub
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 9 posts
Title: Bear du jour

Postby Chesscub » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:53 pm

Dale Eaglesham is no longer Marvel exclusive? :shock:

Why hasn't DC gotten him more work?

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 553 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:11 pm

Anyone pick this up ? Curious if the Sinestro origin was changed or fleshed out any.
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 108 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:53 am

The Green Lantern Villain’s Month books save the best GL villain for last, as Matt Kindt and Dale Eaglesham give us a very nice potted history of everyone’s favourite pink space Hitler. I know I rag on Geoff Johns being in love with all of his villains, but I actually don’t mind it when it comes to Sinestro, Johns did an excellent job of making the character more than just a villain, and in my eyes, made him kind of the Magneto of the DC Universe. He’s a complex guy, so it was good to see his back-story explored, and also get a few interesting hints towards his future.

This issue was narrated by Lyssa Drak, the Sinestro Corps member who was tied to that book. Now, she’s disconnected from it, and is going a little crazy, so she needs to try and remember all she can about her former boss. It was an effective technique to have this issue be narrated by Drak, as she is firmly on Sinestro’s side, and it allowed for an interesting contrast between what she was saying about his actions, and what actually happened.

Drak tells us about pretty much Sinestro’s entire life, we see him as a Korugarian Archaeologist, who gets caught up in a battle between a Green Lantern and a Weaponer of Qward. The GL, who is gravely injured, gives Sinestro the ring to help defeat the Weaponer, and he does. I loved the little touch here where Sinestro had the opportunity to give the ring back and heal the other Lantern, but instead, he just flew away, leaving him to die. I think that’s a new wrinkle to the origin, and I dug it. We then see Sinestro joining up with the other Green Lanterns, and how he becomes best friends with Abin Sur and falls in love with Abin’s sister. Sinestro and Arin Sur move back to Korugar, and that’s when things start to go wrong, as Sinestro stretches the way he uses his ring, and his fascistic rule of Korugar begins. Arin Sur is scared by these changes, and puts their daughter (Soranik Natu) into adoptive care. But Sinestro just carries on ruling with a big green fist, convinced, just like our narrator, that what he is doing is right.

Then of course, Abin Sur dies, and Sinestro befriends his successor, Hal Jordan, and we get the now familiar story of how Hal saw how wrong Sinestro’s actions were, and ended up getting him kicked out of the GLs and into the Anti-Matter Universe. Once again, it was cool how Lyssa Drak viewed Hal Jordan as the bad guy here, but then again, when she labels him the ‘greatest traitor’, she’s actually right!

Kindt then rushes us through the last few years of Sinestro stuff, the Corps, becoming a Lantern again, Korugar being destroyed by Volthoom, and then finally, him killing The Guardians. So, we’re all caught up, so what next for Sinestro? Well, it turns out that not all of the Korugarians are dead, and they may need his help. I wonder where this story will be picked up? I think Venditti and co have made a wise choice in keeping the character off the board, but there have been a few rumblings about a Sinestro ongoing series, which, if written by Kindt, I may actually be interested in.

The art here comes from Dale Eaglesham, and it was great, I love his style, and I love the detail he puts in, the flashback sequences here are framed in a very interesting way, with ornate detailing around the panels, it looked great, and unique. I’d certainly like to see him do more work in the GL universe.

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 462 posts

Postby Draco x » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:04 pm

So it's very clear Sinestro was always a a douchebag from the get-go as opposed to the semi-sympathetic figure Johns was hellbent on making him.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to Previews