Advertisement

Justice League Of America #7.4 - Black Adam (Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 58 posts
Title: Shitlord

Justice League Of America #7.4 - Black Adam (Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:57 am

Even though he only killed off Black Adam like 2 months ago, Geoff Johns is already bringing him back to life. I don’t really mind though, as this issue was very enjoyable, and it actually surprised me. I thought that, after touching Pandora’s Box and having his costume turned black in Trinity War, that Billy Batson was going to be corrupted and turned temporarily into the new Black Adam, but nope, Johns and Sterling Gates have actually bought back the original, and that’s fine with me, Captain Marvel needs his arch-enemy.

This issue was actually surprisingly current and political for DC, who normally leave that kind of stuff to Marvel. Kahndaq is currently under the rule of a brutal dictator, Ibac, and we see various ways of people trying to do their own ‘Arab Spring’ and rebel. The ‘Sons Of Adam’ are a terrorist/freedom fighter group that want to bring Black Adam back and win violently, whilst we also see people attempting to change things peacefully, though social media and the like. The central characters here are a brother and sister, the brother is a historian who is helping the Sons Of Adam, and the sister is one of the peaceful twitterers. The Sons Of The Adam are just about to resurrect Black Adam (his ashes are scattered in the desert), but the forces of Ibac attack, killing the brother. The sister is radicalised by this, and finally utters those famous words… SHAZAM! And Black Adam is back, bitches.

We then see the sister pick up a gun and begin to fight back, which is weird, I know superhero comics are all about solving problems through violence, but it was weird to read a comic advocating what some would see as terrorism, especially since this issue implies that Ibac has the backing of the USA.

Black Adam carves a swathe through the bad-guys, and at the end of this issue, he’s killed Ibac, and has sworn to protect Kahndaq, but then, Forever Evil kicks in, and a convenient iPad that was lying on the floor now starts flashing the now familiar ‘THIS WORLD IS OURS’ message. Black Adam doesn’t exactly take kindly to this, and says that the world belongs to nobody. It’s interesting that Johns has set-up Black Adam as an anti-hero again so quickly, after he was an out and out villain in the Shazam back-ups, but some of Johns’ best work involved Black Adam as a member of the JSA and a quasi-hero, so I’m excited to see how this all plays out with him fighting against the CSA.

This event has actually done quite a good job at setting up a fair amount of villains as people you want to root for agains the CSA, Lex Luthor, Black Manta and now Black Adam, it’s weird having them as heroes, but it works. Edgar Salazar’s artwork was also a solid contribution here, with just that little bit of scratchiness that reminded me of Gary Frank.

This was the last Villain’s Month book I read, and it has left me with a decent feeling about this whole shebang, yes, it was a logistical screw-up, but there were some very good comics in the mix, and this was one of them.

Advertisement

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 309 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Re: Justice League Of America #7.4 - Black Adam (Spoilers)

Postby IvCNuB4 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:48 am

The iPad first appears 3 pages before Adam picks it up. :wink:
If you remember back to the pre-boot universe, Amon was Osiris and Adrianna was Isis. Based on those disembodied voices in the desert after Adam was resurrected, I suspect we may see Adrianna become Isis again.

Nice use of the Shazam anagram, too. I believe this was pre-reboot also:
Shu (stamina)
Horus (speed)
Amun (strength)
Zehuti (wisdom)
Aten (everlasting light)
Mehen (courage)
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 149 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:07 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:The iPad first appears 3 pages before Adam picks it up. :wink:
If you remember back to the pre-boot universe, Amon was Osiris and Adrianna was Isis. Based on those disembodied voices in the desert after Adam was resurrected, I suspect we may see Adrianna become Isis again.

Nice use of the Shazam anagram, too. I believe this was pre-reboot also:
Shu (stamina)
Horus (speed)
Amun (strength)
Zehuti (wisdom)
Aten (everlasting light)
Mehen (courage)

That use of the anagram is a couple of decades old.

Hab

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 309 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:13 pm

Ahh. Thanks. I didn't know that.

Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Draco x
FROGMAN

Liked in: 274 posts

Postby Draco x » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:55 pm

Sounds like an interesting read.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand