Advertisement

Avengers #20 (SPOILERS)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Flynn the Pirate
OMCTO

Liked in: 0 post

Avengers #20 (SPOILERS)

Postby Flynn the Pirate » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:15 pm

So yeah... this issue...

[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
Up to the this point, I have really enjoyed Infinity and Hickman's work on the Avengers as a whole. And for the most part, I liked this issue. I thought the presentation of the lone Builder arrogantly placing his faith in the computations of Supremor while remaining matter-of-fact about the whole thing really made a statement about the threat of the Builders in a way that all of the world-killing and Hickman-ese hadn't really done. I also really like that there now seems to be a new sub-plot revolving around the Gardeners and Ex Nihilo rebelling against their makers and the sudden importance of Abyss' very existence.

But then you get to the last panel. Captain America reveals that his plan is to surrender. Now I know - I know - that Cap is not really going to surrender. I know that there is another plan, another hail mary like what we saw in Infinity #3. But just that panel... ugh. It just set my teeth on edge, in large part because it seems so alien to Cap's personality and credo.

After thinking about it some, I think what really got me is that it is artificial. It is meant to build drama. "Oh no! Captain America is surrendering! It truly is the end of the world!" Now, as I said, I know that Cap is really surrendering. And I would venture to say that most readers know that. And I would venture a little farther to say that Hickman knows that most readers know that. So that leaves, it seems to me, an unnatural sense of drama. And an unnecessary one at that. Hickman could have gotten the same experience if he had literally ended the book one panel earlier.

On the whole, it was a descent outing, but man, that last panel really threw a wrench into my enjoyment of this issue.

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Re: Avengers #20 (SPOILERS)

Postby Punchy » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:31 pm

Infinity continues to rock and roll, and even though I’ve come out and said I prefer the Thanos side of the story more, the Builders storyline is picking up for me, and this was an excellent issue.

We begin with a rehash of the events of Infinity #3, where the captured Avengers were rescued from the Worldbreaker ship, but Hickman does drop a little new info on us. When that female Ex Nihilo randomly appeared then ran away, she wasn’t just silent, she actually psychically spoke to Abyss, telling her and our Ex Nihilo to follow her. Abyss and Ex Nihilo travel to an Ice-Planet, where they come across a whole bunch of other Exes. Rather than fight as I expected, they actually talk, and we start to get some information about just what’s going on with The Builders. For some reason (It has something to do with the New Universal superstructure) many years ago, The Builders stopped making Abyssi and Ex Nihilos at the same time, and stopped making them able to seed life in worlds. We don’t know why things changed, but it looks like answers are imminent (or as imminent as they can get in a Jonathan Hickman book) and more importantly, our Ex Nihilo seems to have turned the rest of his kind to his side, and against The Builders. The tide of this war really is turning! Of course, it’s turning just as the Avengers are about to surrender.

After discussing their next plan of action amongst themselves, Captain America suggests that rather than continue to attack (and I loved the scene between that one Builder and Ronan The Accuser, about how statistically, victory for the Avengers and their allies was impossible), they surrender. Now, does Cap actually mean it? Or is it another, more complex plan? I have no idea, but I am pumped to find out.

It’s getting kind of boring to be repeating this same praise over again, but damn, this whole crossover is just fucking excellent, the art from Yu is excellent, the scale of the story is huge, and that’s just half of it! Man, Hickman is showing us how it’s done, and I really do feel that his style suits Event comics more than most writers, even when he’s just doing normal issues, it’s not normal, and the ideas are so big. Here, he’s on another level.

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 213 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:36 pm

The cover and preview to #4 alone tells me what his idea of surrender means :P

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 323 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:01 am

I love how it's not really an avengers story but a fucking huge cosmic saga.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 130 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:20 am

fieldy snuts wrote:The cover and preview to #4 alone tells me what his idea of surrender means :P

It means a symbolic cover revealing little or nothing of the plot inside.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby fieldy snuts » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:32 pm

Juan Cena wrote:
It means a symbolic cover revealing little or nothing of the plot inside.

And the unlettered preview?

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:34 pm

fieldy snuts wrote:
And the unlettered preview?

Haven't seen the preview. Got a link?

- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 398 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:43 pm

The most interesting point of this issue was the beginning of the Gardeners' rebellion against the Builders.

Thank you Troy for the sig

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby fieldy snuts » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:21 pm

Juan Cena wrote:
Haven't seen the preview. Got a link?

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:59 pm

fieldy snuts wrote:

Thor's in the book? I'm shocked.

Still looks like a symbolic cover. Could be used for any Thor story anywhere.

Will be interesting to see why exactly he's tossing his hammer, though. Doesn't quite look like he's in a position of strength (at least on the surface) in the preview.

- Sons of the Desert

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby fieldy snuts » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:44 am

Juan Cena wrote:
Thor's in the book? I'm shocked.

Still looks like a symbolic cover. Could be used for any Thor story anywhere.

Will be interesting to see why exactly he's tossing his hammer, though. Doesn't quite look like he's in a position of strength (at least on the surface) in the preview.

i'll just say this: what goes up must come down. you feel? :P

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand