Advertisement

Review: Sin Titulo

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 281 posts

Postby LOLtron » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:00 pm

Within these pages lies a bit of madness, and a ton of head scratching.

So, I spent a few minutes rummaging about the internets hoping to find some meaning to this comic title, and to the best of my knowledge and extensive researching (about eight minutes on google), I found nothing. Now, if someone in the peanut gallery wants to enlighten your dear reviewer, please feel free to make me feel dumb.

So, Sin Titulo is a bit of an existential piece. It is an oddly paced story, about an oddly plain leading character, who eventually finds himself stumbling through a plainly odd world. I would summarize further, but summary is frowned upon in reviews. That and I have no clue how to summarize this odyssey, so let’s just jump straight into my holier than thou opinions on the piece.

This is a solo piece of work. From the first round fired, to the last bullet in the chamber, creator Cameron Stewart is the one pulling the trigger.

The tone of the story, hell, the direction of the story, is oddly misrepresented by Cameron’s choice of color scheme. The entire work is done in the bleakness of sepia. It feels like an interesting choice, a bit of nasty bait, that lulls the reader into thinking this story might be as plain as the beige and tans that stain the world. Nope. To be honest, the color alone, and the simplicity of our protagonist, Alex Mackay, left me a bit wanting as the story began.

The art itself is all a bit unassuming. Everything feels mundane, that is, until about page 15, when Cameron starts to unravel the seemingly beige story, interweaving a perverse undertone. It takes a while before the art stretches its legs, but, by about mid-book, Cameron began stretching the abilities of his pen work and crafting peculiar scenes (a man exploding in reaction to the shear madness of the tale) and bizarre creatures (a rather tasty lobster dinner and even a voodoo boogey man!). The art seemed to grow with the story in a rather organic sense of pacing. The world gets stranger and stranger as the pages turn.

The writing took a while to really draw me in. Even nearing the story’s end, I was not sure what it was I was reading. As it unravels it takes so many sharp twists and turns that I found myself wondering if I was plodding forward because I was genuinely enjoying the narrative, or I was being dragged along by some perverse sense of curiosity. In the end, I think I liked it? That, or part of my brain exploded, in either case, the book seriously left behind a sincere impact, something few works are capable of doing.

In summation, Cameron Stewart might be an odd fellow. He has crafted an odd piece of work that is both visually and mentally perplexing, but he moves the work forward in such deliberate strides that it does seem a rare artistic vision. Love it or hate it, it’s hard to say, but I think it is a work worth experiencing. And after the dull throbbing of confusion subsides in your brain, hopefully you can make up your mind.

? out of ?

Written or Contributed by CajunBean

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand