Advertisement

Transformers More than Meets the Eye #21 *spoilers*

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 46 posts

Transformers More than Meets the Eye #21 *spoilers*

Postby MrBlack » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:51 am

And so ends James Robert's epic saga of the crew of the Lost Light and their search for the Knights of Cybertron.

There have been some complaints among TF fans that the ending was too rushed, and while I agree that an additional issue would have been welcome, if just to see some of the scenes in the prose piece in graphic form, I though that this was a much more satisfying conclusion compared to the Overlord storyline. The pacing was well done, and the prose piece at the end helped fill some gaps that would otherwise have been a bit jarring due to their absence in the main story. I thought the two main character arcs that were concluded in these issues (the Cyclonus/Drift rivalry and Tailgate's impending death) were handled perfectly, and built upon pre-established characterization and plot. For that alone, I'm willing to forgive the "attention deflector" handwaving from the previous issues (particularly since we now know that at least one member of the crew wasn't fooled by them). Count me among those who found it clever the way that Roberts handled Minimus Ambus/Ultra Magnus in this issue as well.

The only real complaint I can see with this issue is that several major plot points are left daingling, but I am actually okay with that for a couple of reasons. Tyrest and Star Sabre are too good as villains to be brushed aside in a single arc, and I'm glad that both made it out of this to pester our plucky heroes in the future. We do at least get to see a glimpse of Cyberutopia, and, if Roberts is doing what I think he is doing with that story, I am more than happy to give him more space to tell that story. Let's just say that I find the five moon motif rather...striking. In any event, this comic has never been about the plot or the ending so much as the journey, and, as I stated above, I think Roberts ably handled the character side of things with this issue.

We now have six months worth of Dark Cyberton storyline to wade through before the possibility of MTMTE Season 2 (which Roberts has hinted at). I certainly hope that sales justify keeping the current creative teams, because I can't wait to see where Roberts and Alex Milne take the Lost Light next.

Advertisement

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 57 posts
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

Re: Transformers More than Meets the Eye #21 *spoilers*

Postby SuperginraiX » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:34 am

I just read the previous issue yesterday (after it dropped a buck on ComiXology).

I'm so tempted to just pay full price for this issue. I hate waiting a month!

But if I buy it, then I have to wait TWO months...

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 365 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:02 am

The Minimus Ambus thing was cute considering the Microman connection.

Dislike the Star Sabre is a villain bit. It's like taking Rodimus and making him an insane villain. Not working for me.

Transformers : Space 1999. :lol:
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Postby MrBlack » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:07 am

SuperginraiX wrote:I just read the previous issue yesterday (after it dropped a buck on ComiXology).

I'm so tempted to just pay full price for this issue. I hate waiting a month!

But if I buy it, then I have to wait TWO months...

Next issue is a retrospective, so it might be worth waiting on that to read this one now. ;)

This issue really is dense, especially with the prose story. I'm actually going back over it and finding more and more layers to the story as I dig through it, and seeing more foreshadowing present in previous issues as I read back.

One example (not from this issue):

[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
Back in issue #3 (I think), we see the Sparkeater chasing Rung and Skids. They end up in an elevator with Brainstorm, and flee as the Sparkeater arrives, leaving it in a closed space with Brainstorm. It looks like the end for him, but the Sparkeater takes off rather than attack him. I had always assumed that the Sparkeater was more interested in Rung's brighter spark, but that seemed a thin explanation...until we learned about the attention deflectors in Brainstorm's briefcase a couple of issues ago. Brainstorm held his briefcase in front of himself when the Sparkeater appeared, and the Sparkeater, being barely sentient itself, simply forgot he was there and took off.

That is a really subtle bit of foreshadowing, and we see a fair bit of such things pay off in this issue. I really want to give the entire series another read this weekend.

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Postby MrBlack » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:04 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:The Minimus Ambus thing was cute considering the Microman connection.

Dislike the Star Sabre is a villain bit. It's like taking Rodimus and making him an insane villain. Not working for me.

Transformers : Space 1999. :lol:

I thought the Minimus Ambus thing was hilarious, particularly Rodimus' reaction to it.

Also:

I never watched any of the post American G1 stuff, so Star Sabre is a blank slate for me. I can see why others might be ticked. Just think of it as the price for actually making Cyclonus a cool character. :P

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:27 pm

MrBlack wrote:I thought the Minimus Ambus thing was hilarious, particularly Rodimus' reaction to it.

Also:

I never watched any of the post American G1 stuff, so Star Sabre is a blank slate for me. I can see why others might be ticked. Just think of it as the price for actually making Cyclonus a cool character. :P

:lol: Love that image.

I got to see a chunk years ago, so for me Star Sabre is another of the Autobot leaders so it's a bother for me. Thing is, I like the Cyclonus change. Guess I'm a hypocrite as I like the Autobots to stay heroes and the some of the villains to turn hero.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 157 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:29 pm

The was a great story, curious to see what happens with Drift now though now that Rodimus admitted it was his decision to bring Overlord on board the ship, plus the DJD storyline is still unresolved.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:49 pm

What I'm curious about is how this Regeneration Series could impact these.

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Postby MrBlack » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:22 pm

Regeneration One is in its own continuity, so unless IDW takes the notion of Unicron being a multiversal singularity VERY seriosly, I doubt they will affect each other.

There is still a lot of plot to cover. What is up with the Knights of Cybertron? What really happened to Luna 1? What happened to Dominus Ambus? What was Chromedome hiding from Rewind? Etc., etc. I guess we'll just have to really hope for that promised season 2 of MTMTE.

Given that Rewind was working on the film that is supposed to be the narrative device of issue #22, I wonder if the ending will turn out to be Overlord or the DJD watching the footage off of what is left of Rewind's camera.

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 157 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:59 pm

MrBlack wrote:Let's just say that I find the five moon motif rather...striking.

I just did a reread and also noticed Pharma's final fate which IMO confirms your theory.

Also didn't realise the letters page was actually like a deleted scenes part that makes me believe his run got truncated to make way for Dark Cybertron. TOo bad as the final line of them contacting Starscream would've made a great finale.

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Postby MrBlack » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:15 am

fieldy snuts wrote:
I just did a reread and also noticed Pharma's final fate which IMO confirms your theory.

Also didn't realise the letters page was actually like a deleted scenes part that makes me believe his run got truncated to make way for Dark Cybertron. TOo bad as the final line of them contacting Starscream would've made a great finale.

I think that is true for some of it, particularly that last scene. The ending of the comic was rather abrupt. Other parts (Rodimus taking command, the conversation between Magnus and Ratchet) seem better suited to the prose piece.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand