Advertisement

Nova #8 (Oh, wow, that was dumb Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 93 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Nova #8 (Oh, wow, that was dumb Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:29 pm

Zeb Wells’ run on Nova continues to be an enjoyable story, with plenty of humour and interesting takes on what it is to be a superhero, and now that it’s tying in to Infinity, it has an added edge, in that it no longer feels just a little bit aimless.

Wells does a good job at explaining just why Nova is involved in Thanos’ attack on Earth, and it goes back to a question a lot of fans have been asking ever since ‘The Thanos Imperative’, and that’s what ever it was that went down in the Cancerverse between Thanos, Richard Rider and Star-Lord. Two of those characters are back in the Marvel Universe in a big way, but the original Nova isn’t, and it’s good that we’re finally getting some hints there, although I suspect fans clamouring for Rider’s return will be disappointed, as Thanos strongly hints that he is dead with a capital d.

There are some people who are clamouring for the return of Richard Rider within the Marvel Universe, and that’s his old New Warriors team-mates, Speedball and Justice, who once again appear here, and this time actually come face to face with Sam Alexander, in what was a very fun scene, especially with Speedball’s reaction to not being instantly recognised. It was a little weird to see the New Warriors TV show that caused Civil War and killed 100s of people referenced in a humorous way, but hey.

I think the best scene in this issue was when Sam was flying away from just having fixed the Skate-Park, and having found out that the cute punk girl had easily worked out his secret identity. It was hilarious to see Sam go so far in ranting and raving at the helmet, that he took it off, and of course fell right back down to Earth and destroyed the Skate-Park again. One of the advantages teenaged superhero books have over adult-focused series is that the main characters are more able to make mistakes, and Sam is making a lot of them, but in new, exciting and endearing ways. I buy him as a real kid who wandered into this crazy circumstance.

Of course, this book is not all humour, as we are introduced the primary villain who’s going to be facing Nova in this arc, Kaldera, who is a member of Proxima Midnight’s squadron of Thanos Goons. She certainly looks like a big threat, especially since she’s armed with a Nova-Glove, and one that was probably Richard Rider’s. At the end of the issue, Kaldera confronts… Sam’s little sister! Uh-oh. I can’t wait to see Sam in action against Kaldera, and whether or not Speedball and Justice will get involved, we could even get some concrete answers on what happened to the former Nova. Oh man, this is getting exciting.

Paco Medina’s artwork was strong, he really nails the tone of this book, getting both the traditional superhero bits in, but also the humour of things like Thanos waving to The Watcher, or just Speedball in general. He’s just perfect for a book with youthful energy like Nova, and I’m glad that he’s staying onboard even when Wells leaves.

Advertisement

MistaT
penile prisoner

Liked in: 10 posts
Title: ThreadKilla

Re: Nova #8 (Oh, wow, that was dumb Spoilers)

Postby MistaT » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:24 pm

This was probably the best issue of the series so far for me.

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 395 posts

Postby Draco x » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:40 pm

I genuinely hope Richard Rider isn't truly dead as it sucked how he got thrown under the rug and then this lame confirmation he might actually be dead.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1133 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:42 pm

I was actually pretty tempted to buy this book, if only to support the fact that Robbie Baldwin appears to have finally returned to the more light hearted Speedball that we all know and love. Penance and the aftermath from it was just grating on the nerves.

I am also glad that they are finally starting to reference Richard Rider again. The fact that Thanos mentions that he has been dealt with but nothing was shown, gives me hope for the future. You don't elevate a character to the status that Nova was elevated to during Annihilation and then kill him off panel. Until Richard Rider returns, I'll continue to bide my time and who knows, I may start picking up this book if we continue to actually get some fun stories from it. :smt102
ImageImageImage

Sasher McSmasher
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 538 posts
Title: I'm a Paul Heyman Guy.
Formerly: T-Rex

Postby Sasher McSmasher » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:34 pm

I am pleasantly surprised to say this has continued to be a damn good book consistently since it came out. Yes I am a huge Richard Rider Nova fan but Sam is starting to grow on me. Paco Medina is no EMc2 but he is doing a damn fine job on this book as his replacement. Zeb Well has always come leaps and bounds as a writer and I genuinely enjoy his work on Nova.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand