Advertisement

Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Flynn the Pirate
User avatar
OMCTO
 
Posts: 2023
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:59 am


Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye

Postby Flynn the Pirate » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:46 pm

So I've read a lot of good things about this series and am kind of interested in picking it up. A few questions though.

1) I've never really been a Transformers fan. Not in the sense of, "I hate Transformers," or anything; mostly just that there have always been other things that I have been more interested in and thus never really developed any serious knowledge of the series. I'm familiar with the basics and I can recognize Megatron or Optimus Prime or Starscream, but beyond that I never really got into the franchise. Is this going to be a deterrent to being able to enjoy this series or can I read it without being versed in Transformers lore?

2) Kind of going along with the first question, is there anything else I need to be read before or alongside More Than Meets The Eye to make it make sense?

Thanks!

Advertisement

The Old Doctor
User avatar
A Damn Cuddly Beast
 
Posts: 67188
Likes: 1000 posts
Liked in: 779 posts
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:00 pm
Location: Toronto, ONT, Canadah
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\


Online


Re: Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye

Postby The Old Doctor » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:18 pm

Flynn the Pirate wrote:So I've read a lot of good things about this series and am kind of interested in picking it up. A few questions though.

1) I've never really been a Transformers fan. Not in the sense of, "I hate Transformers," or anything; mostly just that there have always been other things that I have been more interested in and thus never really developed any serious knowledge of the series. I'm familiar with the basics and I can recognize Megatron or Optimus Prime or Starscream, but beyond that I never really got into the franchise. Is this going to be a deterrent to being able to enjoy this series or can I read it without being versed in Transformers lore?

2) Kind of going along with the first question, is there anything else I need to be read before or alongside More Than Meets The Eye to make it make sense?

Thanks!



1) yes.

2) Alongside - Robots In Disguise. Before and alongsider - Any of the Spotlights.

Both series split from the prior running series of mini-series. IF you've read prior stuff going back to even the Marvel stuff, you'll find easter eggs. But it is otherwise it's very own continuity.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

Image
IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

SuperginraiX
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 8110
Likes: 83 posts
Liked in: 84 posts
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:51 pm
Location: Waite Park MN
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane


Re: Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye

Postby SuperginraiX » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:39 pm

1) My wife just read the first three volumes of MTMTE a month ago. She enjoyed it more than I expected but, since she's not been a longtime fan, she had trouble telling who was who. It's a big cast and even though this is the first time many of them have made a dent in the IDWverse, you might have some trouble telling who is who... especially since Optimus Prime, Starscream, and Megatron aren't cast members. ;)

But they DO have a cast page to give you a who's who of the major cast members and you also have the luxury of internet access. So this shouldn't be a huge obstacle.

2) I think the series does a really good job of explaining what you need to know when you need to know it. Roberts is doing a lot of world building so a lot of concepts he's bringing up are being brought up for the first time. The only thing I might recommend you read before this would be Last Stand of the Wreckers. It's not essential to understanding... ANYTHING in MTMTE but it IS the first time Roberts dipped his toe into the IDWverse and it's where he starts all of his world building goodness. Otherwise, start up at volume one and enjoy the crap out of this comic.
Image

sdsichero
User avatar
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion
 
Posts: 70301
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 520 posts
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:25 pm
Location: Secret Base, Honolulu, HI
Title: I have no idea…
Formerly: beta-ray


Online


Re: Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye

Postby sdsichero » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:37 pm

I am familiar with Transformers and even I have a hard time telling who is who sometimes even with the cast page. However, the two series have been better than I thought they'd be. I have to admit, I thought the beginning dragged a bit and one of the characters I felt was mischaracterized. Aside from that, there have been a flat issue here and there, it's been good.
Image Image Image ImageImage

The Old Doctor
User avatar
A Damn Cuddly Beast
 
Posts: 67188
Likes: 1000 posts
Liked in: 779 posts
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:00 pm
Location: Toronto, ONT, Canadah
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\


Online


Re: Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye

Postby The Old Doctor » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:21 pm

The problem with the cast, is not so much a problem as just a need to realize that within this series, the bots get new forms, just as with the toys.

After all, they are called The Transformers.

Mind you, it would help if the artists could be a bit more consistent.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

Image
IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

MrBlack
User avatar
WTF is this rank?
 
Posts: 11302
Likes: 28 posts
Liked in: 99 posts
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:03 am


Re: Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye

Postby MrBlack » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:03 am

As to your first question, James Roberts is building a lot of new lore, and he takes the time to explain it in the course of the story. You don't need to know about the Knights of Cybertron, Rossum's Trinity, the Seething Moon, forged bots vs. constructed cold bots, or anything else, because these are largely new concepts even to old fans.

It might help to have some minor bit of knowledge about prior events in the IDW-verse before starting the story, but no more than you would be able to find on Wikipedia or tfwiki.net. I will SGX's recommendation to read Last Stand of the Wreckers, if just because it will give you a bit more insight into a couple of the major characters in the series.

fieldy snuts
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 18991
Likes: 46 posts
Liked in: 210 posts
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:34 pm
Location: The 3040
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones


Re: Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye

Postby fieldy snuts » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:33 pm

MrBlack wrote:As to your first question, James Roberts is building a lot of new lore, and he takes the time to explain it in the course of the story. You don't need to know about the Knights of Cybertron, Rossum's Trinity, the Seething Moon, forged bots vs. constructed cold bots, or anything else, because these are largely new concepts even to old fans.

It might help to have some minor bit of knowledge about prior events in the IDW-verse before starting the story, but no more than you would be able to find on Wikipedia or tfwiki.net. I will SGX's recommendation to read Last Stand of the Wreckers, if just because it will give you a bit more insight into a couple of the major characters in the series.


My memory is hazy but was Last Stand of the Wreckers the one where they revealed that a Wrecker had executed Decepticon POW's?

SuperginraiX
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 8110
Likes: 83 posts
Liked in: 84 posts
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:51 pm
Location: Waite Park MN
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane


Re: Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye

Postby SuperginraiX » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:38 pm

fieldy snuts wrote:
My memory is hazy but was Last Stand of the Wreckers the one where they revealed that a Wrecker had executed Decepticon POW's?

Yes.
Image

leave a comment with facebook


Return to The News Stand



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: senwolf and 63 guests

Advertisement