Wednesday, June 29, 2016 • Evening Edition • "Special collector's edition 4D variant!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

I'm Liking What DC is Doing With Vertigo Right Now

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

Stephen Day

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:03 pm

I bought The Wake #4 and Tom Strong and the Planet of Peril #3 this week and they got me thinking of where Vertigo is heading. I can't say that I'm a fan overall of what is going on with the main DCU, but I will give them credit where credit is due when it comes to Vertigo. Right now I'm getting:

The Wake
Trillium
FBP: Federal Bureau of Physics
Tom Strong and the Planet of Peril

I'm also soon to begin getting Hinterkind.

It's been a long time since I've bought this many series from Vertigo on a monthly basis. I think that DC is doing a decent job right now when it comes to this line. Is it as good as it's ever been? I don't think I'd make that claim, but I would say that it's at least in a good place at the moment.
User avatar

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:48 pm

The comics themselves, though, are vastly inferior. The paper stock is thin, high-gloss toilet paper, covers the same, full of ads. Image is putting actual cover stock on their books, fewer and in some cases no ads at all, good page stock that doesn't reflect light like a mirror..
User avatar

Stephen Day

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:05 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:The comics themselves, though, are vastly inferior. The paper stock is thin, high-gloss toilet paper, covers the same, full of ads. Image is putting actual cover stock on their books, fewer and in some cases no ads at all, good page stock that doesn't reflect light like a mirror..


I can't say that I've noticed the paper quality myself. :smt102

The stories have been good in all of those series though, and in the end, that's all I really care about.
User avatar

Draco x

biny little tird

Postby Draco x » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:10 pm

I would take the Vertigo stuff over the New 52 anyday.
User avatar

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:19 pm

This doesn't bode well for... oh wait, it actually does bode well for Vertigo.

The Bass

Postby The Bass » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:12 am

I'm Liking What DC is Doing With Vertigo Right Now


Ignoring it? Treating it like an abused child?

They took Unwritten off Mike Carey and gave it to Bill Willingham, FFS.
User avatar

bkthomson

Rain Partier

Postby bkthomson » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:29 am

The Bass wrote:
Ignoring it? Treating it like an abused child?

They took Unwritten off Mike Carey and gave it to Bill Willingham, FFS.


Are you sure about that? Seeing how Carey owns Unwritten it not for DC to give.

The Bass

Postby The Bass » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:30 am

The last time I checked, Willingham (a known far right bigot), was writing a crossover with Carey's characters
User avatar

LobsterJ

Expert Post Whore

Postby LobsterJ » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:34 am

And you assume Mike Carey was not on-board with this decision because...?
User avatar

bkthomson

Rain Partier

Postby bkthomson » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:10 am

Again, Carey would need to give the ok, and a cross over with Fables makes sense and would not be dc mandate. These are creator own books all had to go through them.
User avatar

Chris

Rain Partier

Postby Chris » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:14 am

LobsterJ wrote:And you assume Mike Carey was not on-board with this decision because...?

Because its The Bass, and he is incapable of rational thought.
User avatar

bkthomson

Rain Partier

Postby bkthomson » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:16 am

Also Bass, a point of advice, stop going down your current train of thought. Unfortunately you are wrong in this case and any further pursuit of this idea that Carey lost Unwritten to Willingham will end with you being ridiculed beyond belief. This is not a fight worth fighting for.
User avatar

Chesscub

WTF is this rank?

Postby Chesscub » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:02 am

The Bass wrote:
Ignoring it? Treating it like an abused child?

They took Unwritten off Mike Carey and gave it to Bill Willingham, FFS.


You just went full retard. You never go full retard.
User avatar

oogy

Zombie Guard

Postby oogy » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:07 am

Victorian Squid wrote:The comics themselves, though, are vastly inferior. The paper stock is thin, high-gloss toilet paper, covers the same, full of ads. Image is putting actual cover stock on their books, fewer and in some cases no ads at all, good page stock that doesn't reflect light like a mirror..

Have you looked at a Marvel book lately?

Their covers are the same stock as the interior pages and feel much more flimsy than anyone other publishers IMO.
User avatar

Chris

Rain Partier

Postby Chris » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:20 am

I read comics for the story and art. Couldn't care less about paper stock. Unless it negatively affects the art, which I haven't really seen.

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Juan Cena, MSNbot Media and 98 guests