Advertisement

Review: Saga #14

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 360 posts

Postby LOLtron » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:14 pm

What will happen when Marko and Alana finally meet their idol, author D. Oswald Heist?

Since it’s first issue last March, Saga has proven to be one of the most popular indie comics in the Image lineup. Written by Brian K. Vaughan and illustrated by Fiona Staples, Saga tells the love story of Marko and Alana, two opposites from warring planets who fall in love and have a kid. While the series is often described as Star Wars meets Game of Thrones, there’s no doubt that it’s one of the most inventive series currently on the shelves.

Last month in Saga, Marko and Fiona had just reached the planet of Quietus and met their mutual idol, D. Oswald Heist, author and occasional naked drunkard. This issue explores the result of Marko and Alana finding Heist and even spends quite a bit of the issue revealing more about The Will and Gwendolyn’s situation with Slave Girl who has now been named Sophie.

It almost seems cliche to read Saga every month and repeat in saying that it’s such a great book, but the truth is the truth. Again this month, BKV and Staples weave a story that appropriately pushes off the previous issue without leaving anything out. In the first arc or so of this story a lot of the plot was focused on Marko and Alana. Now in the second act, The Will, Gwendolyn and even Prince Robot are making more appearances and I for one love that.

Chapter 14 explores some additional characters as well. The issue kicks off by introducing Alana’s stepmother, being interviewed by the same reporters from chapter 13. Also D. Oswald Heist’s character is opened up a bit more. He’s shown to be a caring, gentle man and even is able to break down the defenses of Marko’s mom, the sturdy, hardcore warrior. To an end also, BKV writes his usual cliffhanger that makes Saga such an addicting series to read. If you have never read this series, do yourself a favor a check out the first two trade paperbacks for an exciting and original story.

Written or Contributed by Joe Toeben

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 109 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Re: Review: Saga #14

Postby Punchy » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:11 am

Goddammit Saga! Stop being so consistently entertaining! Writing unabashed praise for every issue of this thing is getting a bit boring. I’m not saying I want a crappy issue, but it would certainly be interesting, what would a bad issue of Saga look like? I can’t even comprehend that possibility. As it stands, this was another great issue of a brilliant series that did a good job of moving along not the larger plot, but of enhancing and deepening the characters.

The opening scene was a real highlight, with the two Tabloid journalists we met last issue visiting Alana’s home, and questioning her step-mother, who is basically the same age as Alana. The fact that Alana’s dad re-married someone a lot younger is an interesting bit of back-story, and that wedding photo is just hilarious. I really like how BKV is writing these realistic human families and back-stories, but putting them in amongst crazy alien species and just bringing everything to a very relatable level. That continues with the scenes set on Quietus, with Marko, Alana and the rest getting to know D. Oswald Heist, who is a drunken mess, he even pukes on poor baby Hazel, in a hilarious moment.

I loved how the hidden messages that Alana was reading into Heist’s books weren’t just her being crazy, and that he actually was writing a book meant to end the war and unite the two sides. I’m also intrigued by what Heist thinks the opposite of war is, and the discussion between him and Marko’s mother was very well written. Just like the Alana’s step-mother stuff, losing a loved-one is a very human thing that we can all relate to, and did anyone else think that Hazel’s narration indicated that Heist and Marko’s mother would get together?

The third and final plotline of the issue was The Will, Gwendolyn and Slave Girl, sorry, Sophie, waiting for their spaceship to be fixed so they can get back on the trail of our heroes. Only, The Will wants to give up the hunt and retire. I wonder what the nature of his visions of The Stalk are? Is he just crazy? Is it really her? Or is it something more sinister? The Stalk keeps egging him on to kiss Gwendolyn, and he does, but she rebuffs him. Again, more relatable human drama, but there’s a talking cat there too. In the end, one of The Will’s informants rings him up with a tip, he’s spotted Prince Robot IV, who has The Stalk’s ship, and has overheard him talking about Quietus.

We already know that Prince Robot will be on that planet at the same time as Alana and Marko, so will The Will (that’s weird to type) and his gang be there too? I was initially perturbed by the fact that these last 2 issues have flashed-back to before #12, but it’s turned out to be a very effective technique. Note to self, do not question the choices of Bryan K Vaughan.

Fiona Staples’ art was once again magnificent, and I feel I should mention that she’s also the colourist of this book, and not only that, but the colours here are among the best in all of comics. She’s pulling double=duty here, and it’s making for a beautiful comic. Throw in another strange Saga survey, and this book has it all, as I said, it’s getting boring constantly praising, but what else can you do?

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:48 pm

The only thing putting me off right now is the idea that every arc will revolve/climax with all three camps ending up in the same place with the lovers escaping and losing someone in the process. It's just getting kind of contrived.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 231 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:59 pm

Both of these reviews blow it by not menti

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby habitual » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:00 pm

Both of these reviews blow it by not mentioning the best part of the book.

Hab

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 642 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:08 pm

habitual wrote:Both of these reviews blow it by not mentioning the best part of the book.

Hab

Agreed. More books need puking on babies.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:13 pm

habitual wrote:Both of these reviews blow it by not mentioning the best part of the book.

Hab

What bit was that?

TimH
cheese

Liked in: 323 posts

Postby TimH » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:58 am

Momentum is pushing me toward trying Saga.

I'm still annoyed by the scandal a few months back. Nowadays scandals are a marketing gimmick, but the commentators do swear that Brian K Vaughn was as annoyed as I was about it.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:33 am

TimH wrote:Momentum is pushing me toward trying Saga.

I'm still annoyed by the scandal a few months back. Nowadays scandals are a marketing gimmick, but the commentators do swear that Brian K Vaughn was as annoyed as I was about it.

Definitely read saga it's excellent, I can send you the first trade if you'd like? It was given to me by Givewarachance so I have no problem paying it forward. The scandal wasn't at all BKV's doing. It wasn't even DC's it was apples.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

- Les Paul

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby habitual » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:17 pm

Punchy wrote:
What bit was that?

[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand

It's up for moment of the week, go vote for it.

Hab

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:05 am

habitual wrote:
[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand

It's up for moment of the week, go vote for it.

Hab

Oh, as I said before, I find Lying Cat incredibly overrated so that moment didn't really grab me.

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby habitual » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:32 am

Punchy wrote:
Oh, as I said before, I find Lying Cat incredibly overrated so that moment didn't really grab me.

That's exactly why I was correcting you.

Hab

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:28 am

habitual wrote:
That's exactly why I was correcting you.

Hab

Punchy just doesn't connect with talking animals, ever since he was 6 and found a singing/dancing frog in the basement of a building about to be demolished that would only do it's act when no one else was looking and made him the laughing stock of the school yard and made his parents not love him.

- Les Paul

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby habitual » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:50 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:
Punchy just doesn't connect with talking animals, ever since he was 6 and found a singing/dancing frog in the basement of a building about to be demolished that would only do it's act when no one else was looking and made him the laughing stock of the school yard and made his parents not love him.

:lol:

I know he'll never get the reference :D

Hab

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:03 pm

habitual wrote:
:lol:

I know he'll never get the reference :D

Hab

You think I don't know Michigan J. Frog?

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand