Advertisement

Marvel: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Premieres Tonight

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Liked in: 344 posts

Re: Marvel: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Premieres Tonight

Postby Lord Simian » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:34 am

IvCNuB4 wrote:"SHIELD proto-typed the first wrist-communicator in 1936". Seriously, did they just take credit for Dick Tracy's 2-way Wrist communicator that debuted 10 years later in 1946 ? :lol:

Technically, I didn't hear them say it was a SHIELD prototype, just that it was A prototype. Coulson is a collector, remember? For all we know, it was a deliberate nod to Tracy

Cant defend the date thing, though. That's an oopsie. :)

Kong created the Outhouse to train the Faithful. One cannot go against the Word of Kong.---
The Teachings of Pawl Monk'Dib

Monkey, I like your style!
--Lex Luthor

Zenguru wrote:I trust Lord Simian's word more than my friend.

Advertisement

Herald
Fagorstorm

Liked in: 396 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:45 am

Amoebas wrote:And I absolutely love when the bad guy is being sucked out of an airplane but they're clutching onto the hero's arm - and then the hero tells them to "HANG ON!".
First - why hang on to them if they just tried to kill you?

He's a hero; he's supposed to try to Save the Villain, thus demonstrating how heroic he is.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 560 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:41 am

Herald wrote:
He's a hero; he's supposed to try to Save the Villain, thus demonstrating how heroic he is.

I'm not laughing at that - I'm in histerics that the hero has to verbalize the words "HOLD ON!" as if there was a "DON'T" option. It's useless dialogue that detracts rather than adds to the story.

It's be like a Quarterback having to yell "Catch it!" the second the ball leaves his hand. :lol:

Pizza Dog
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 497 posts
Title: Awesomesauce
Formerly: Coach_Carebear

Postby Pizza Dog » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:31 pm

A few scenes made me chuckle. Can see a 'getting it on' storyline developing between Skye and that wannabe James Bond dude who wants to 'go it alone maaaaaan'.

Pretty bad that I can only remember 2 Character's names and I've ONLY JUST finished watching it :? :?

AND... as much as I LOVE Coulson... his smiling whilst talking freaks me out sometimes. Not sure why :smt102 :|
BE BACK IN 2-WEEKS!!! :D :D :D

(22nd November - 6th December)

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 236 posts

Postby doombug » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:32 pm

Rockman wrote:
They own the film rights. I don't know that there is a difference between animated television vs. live action television when it comes to this stuff. If not they Marvel has access to all of those characters, since we've seen them used in their cartoons.

There is, any live action rights defer to the companies that have the rights to make the films.

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 881 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: cyclone, Chili con Blarney

Postby outsider » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:41 pm

doombug wrote:I don't care if I get yelled at for this:

STOP BEING FUCKING CREEPY.

You're over 50 making really creepy comments over a woman who looks to be 19. (pretty sure the actress is in her mid 20's at least but still)

Christ. :smt011
I don't think that's fucking creepy, just normal geek-flavored heterologic in action. I'd love to see that hottie dressed up as Spider-Woman!

(And she doesn't look 19. More like 22 or 23.)
((yes, it matters, lol))
-

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 4 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:19 pm

Pizza Dog wrote:
AND... as much as I LOVE Coulson... his smiling whilst talking freaks me out sometimes. Not sure why :smt102 :|

I wondered if anyone else noticed that he'd gone from "the guy who smiles wryly in the face of danger" to "the guy with the one facial expression no matter what's happening".
Last edited by Victorian Squid on Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 482 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:21 pm

Maybe Coulson's look is to contrast Melinda May's always-scowling-constipated glare. :lol:
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 1086 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:10 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:Maybe Coulson's look is to contrast Melinda May's always-scowling-constipated glare. :lol:

If she ever does smile, we'll know the Skrulls are invading.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Old Doctor is the NuDCU's Catscratch

HNutz
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 840 posts

Postby HNutz » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:40 am

Real life Rising Tide! and they're not happy

Okay, maybe it's only whining...

Sometimes our idols die hard.This long time Marvel Comics true believer is finding Joss Whedon’s new TV showAgents of S.H.I.E.L.D., a deal breaker after decades of love and devotion to Marvel Comics and Whedon’s fantasy world that’s given us Firefly and Buffy the Vampire Slayer. But now, the other true love of my life, Rising Tide North America, is under attack by the real corporate super villains, Disney and ABC Studios, seeking to co-opt our name and brand for some ratings and commercial air time with Whedon’s new show.

We are the REAL Rising Tide

Rising Tide is an all-volunteer international climate justice network challenging the root causes climate change.Rising Tide originated in 2000 at the sixth United Nations Conference of Parties (COP) meeting at the Hague. It formed as direct action network forming an opposition to the talks were deeply influenced by corporate lobbyists, marginalizing representatives in the Global South and pushing carbon markets as a (false) solution to the climate crisis. Over 300 groups from both the Global South and Global North signed the Rising Tide statement in 2000. Since then Rising Tide network have grown and spread throughout the United Kingdom, Australia and North America.

More at the link.

And they want Disney/ABC/Marvel to change the name of the Rising Tide found in Agents of SHIELD. Because it could "cause confusion" or something.

Of course, there's also Rising Tide Studios (founded in 1996), a record label (founded in 1995), a couple of books, movies, etc.

So maybe they don't have a leg to stand on.

(This might make for a good article)

Chessack
cheese

Liked in: 447 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Postby Chessack » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:30 am

My guess is, the "real" Rising Tide doesn't have a case. All novels have a disclaimer that any similarity between previously existing groups or characters, real or fictional, is purely coincidental, and I'm guessing the fine print somewhere buried in the credits of a TV show says the same thing. As long as Marvel TV isn't trying to claim that their Rising Tide is the same as the real-life one, they should be safe.

HNutz
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby HNutz » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:43 am

Chessack wrote:My guess is, the "real" Rising Tide doesn't have a case. All novels have a disclaimer that any similarity between previously existing groups or characters, real or fictional, is purely coincidental, and I'm guessing the fine print somewhere buried in the credits of a TV show says the same thing. As long as Marvel TV isn't trying to claim that their Rising Tide is the same as the real-life one, they should be safe.

Yeah, I'm not worried. I just think it's funny that this group wants Marvel to change the name, as to avoid "diluting the brand name" or whatever, but they didn't have any problems doing the same thing.

Their logos DO look similar, though.

Chessack
cheese

Liked in: 447 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Postby Chessack » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:55 pm

Well, the logos look like tidal waves, and fairly generic ones at that. Of course, that leaves aside the fact that a tide has nothing to do with a tidal wave (nor, in fact, waves period). I wouldn't expect either a bunch of TV producers or a bunch of environmentalists to actually know anything factual about nature. ;)

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 4 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:01 pm

It's pretty sad that the knee-jerk reaction here will be to put down climate change activists in favor of millionaire comic book darling Joss Whedon and his mediocre Marvel work.

HNutz
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby HNutz » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:15 pm

I'm not complaining about their work.

I just think it's odd how the 2000 Rising Tide group is complaining about the 2013 Rising Tide group using that name (the fictional one from SHIELD) but seems to have no qualms about using the same name as the 1995 and 1996 Rising Tide groups.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum