Advertisement

Green Lantern #24

This is the forum for previews. They'll also show up in The News Stand and The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 553 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Green Lantern #24

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:41 pm

Comics Continuum

"Lights Out" part one! Relic arrives on Oa as this massive story kicks off! Can the different Lantern Corps come together to stop this powerful enemy? Lights Out will see Lanterns die, others change allegiances-and nothing will be the same ever again!

Written by: Robert Venditti
Art & Cover by: Billy Tan
Inks by: Rob Hunter
32 pages
$2.99 (US)
On sale: Oct 2, 2013

Last edited by IvCNuB4 on Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Advertisement

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Re: Green Lantern #24

Postby guitarsmashley » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:51 pm

so how did hal and sinestro become undead?
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1458 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:59 am

guitarsmashley wrote:so how did hal and sinestro become undead?

Sinestro didn't die, he was jus trapped in the dead zone but he was able to escape because Simon Baz created an emotional tether that he was able to grab on to. Hal was still trapped in the dead zone and killed himself so that he could become a Black Lantern. When he attacked Volthoom, the First Lantern warped reality and created a copy of Hal as a child. Later on, the copy fused with the real Hal, which brought him back to life and allowed him to become a Green Lantern again.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:46 am

Grayson wrote:
Sinestro didn't die, he was jus trapped in the dead zone but he was able to escape because Simon Baz created an emotional tether that he was able to grab on to. Hal was still trapped in the dead zone and killed himself so that he could become a Black Lantern. When he attacked Volthoom, the First Lantern warped reality and created a copy of Hal as a child. Later on, the copy fused with the real Hal, which brought him back to life and allowed him to become a Green Lantern again.

That all sounds terrible. Is there still an aye rab GL?
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:20 pm

I thought it was the GL ring that was looking for a new bearer that brought Hal back to life by changing him from a Black Lantern to a Green Lantern.
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1458 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:25 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:That all sounds terrible. Is there still an aye rab GL?

Honestly, I don't know. The only book that I am still reading that has a Green Lantern in it is Green Lantern and I don't believe that Simon Baz has been referenced since Johns left.

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:37 pm

Simon Baz is the GL on Waller and Trevor's 'Justice League of America' team.

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:27 pm

This issue finally comes full circle to where this story started a few issues ago with Hal and the recruits heading for the Central Power Battery. Unfortunately their plan gets halted when
[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
Relic blows it up. Hal doesn't seem too concerned (I'm guessing since it's been destroyed and rebuilt before) until Salaak explains that the Central Battery's infrastructure extends down to Oa's core which now cause Oa to go the way of Krypton !

With the old Guardians gone I'm wondering if this arc won't end with the Green Lantern Precinct being relocated to another planet .. like maybe Earth.

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 462 posts

Postby Draco x » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:22 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:This issue finally comes full circle to where this story started a few issues ago with Hal and the recruits heading for the Central Power Battery. Unfortunately their plan gets halted when
[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
Relic blows it up. Hal doesn't seem too concerned (I'm guessing since it's been destroyed and rebuilt before) until Salaak explains that the Central Battery's infrastructure extends down to Oa's core which now cause Oa to go the way of Krypton !

With the old Guardians gone I'm wondering if this arc won't end with the Green Lantern Precinct being relocated to another planet .. like maybe Earth.

And I am guessing this is what is leading to John challenging Hal for the leadership of the GL corps down the road.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 108 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:19 am

Another day, another Green Lantern crossover, seriously, these books can’t stand alone for more than 5 minutes can they? It’s kind of exhausting. But, I actually did enjoy this issue, and I think that the fact that this particular GL-event is coming from the new writers, and not Geoff Johns yet again, gave it a bit of freshness.

In this issue, the twin threats of the malfunctioning rings and the mysterious Relic finally come to a head, and what we get is a very enjoyable opening issue to this story, with some huge stakes, and a great cliffhanger ending. Robert Venditti opens with Hal, John, Kilowog and Salaak on Oa, worrying about what the heck is going on with their rings. Then, Kyle, Carol Ferris and the Guardians show up, fleeing the destruction of the Blue Lanterns in the most recent issue of New Guardians. Kyle explains to the rest of the characters that Relic is the new big bad guy, and what his belief system is, that whenever someone uses a Ring, they are draining the emotional ‘reservoir’ and slowly destroying the Earth. I did like Hal’s cocky dismissal of Relic here, how he sounds like an old geezer, and not scary at all.

Of course, Relic is a bit scary, and he soon shows up and the action begins. Relic and his robo bug things soon set about attacking Oa, and draining the Green Energy from everyone. Hal tries to fight back, but we see that Relic can easily absorb and redirect the ring’s energy. I liked how Venditti made sure to show Hal Jordan taking charge in this battle sequence, it’s been a slow burn on the whole ‘Hal as Corps Leader’ storyline, but I reckon that’s the best way to go about it. Having John and Salaak acknowledge it a little is a nice touch.

In the end though, even with Hal’s newly-acquired leadership skills, Relic wins out, as he manages to blow up the Central Power Battery, which is pretty shocking you have to say, and to make things worse, Salaak reveals that, if the Central Power Battery is destroyed, the whole of Oa will soon follow it. Dun dun dun! As I said, a great ending, and I’m certainly very intrigued as to how this story will continue. Venditti really is going for it here, blowing up not just the Green Lantern’s home planet, but also tackling the very nature of the Corps. They thought they were protecting the Universe, but have they actually been destroying it? Now, obviously Relic is going to turn out to be wrong in his assertions, but I’m still enjoying seeing the GL world be turned upside down yet again, and with a fresh eye.

Venditti and Justin Jordan have done a bang-up job setting up Relic as a credible villain, and it’s cool to see a crossover involving something other than various Corps going to war against each other. Yes, there are too many GL events, but if they are going to be as strong as this, I don’t mind. Billy Tan’s artwork was also solid here, his depiction of Relic was truly imposing, although the way he draws Kyle Rayner’s mask is a little dumb, but that’s me being a nitpicky Kyle fan.

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:56 pm

leave a comment with facebook

Return to Previews