Monday, September 26, 2016 • Evening Edition • "We put the "O" in OCD."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

Arion

Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:51 pm

Punchy wrote:
It's kind of disappointing, DC really made it so the story fizzled out.


There was editorial interference from DC even decades ago?
Yeah, I can imagine how it goes.
User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:54 am

Arion wrote:
There was editorial interference from DC even decades ago?
Yeah, I can imagine how it goes.


Well, at first, they just cancelled everything except Mister Miracle out from under Kirby, and by all accounts, all of the books were selling OK.

And then, when Kirby returned to finish the story in the 80s, there was editorial interference, but apparently, Kirby agreed with a lot of it. I think the biggest interference was that Kirby wasn't allowed to kill any of the characters, because DC wanted to use them in the future.
User avatar

Grayson

Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:31 pm

I found the second volume of Jack Kirby's Fourth World Omnibus on the half price table of my LCS yesterday but I didn't pick it up because I couldn't find the first volume. :-(

Somebody should probably go ahead and send me their copy so that I can get caught up... :P
User avatar

Arion

Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:28 pm

Punchy wrote:
Well, at first, they just cancelled everything except Mister Miracle out from under Kirby, and by all accounts, all of the books were selling OK.

And then, when Kirby returned to finish the story in the 80s, there was editorial interference, but apparently, Kirby agreed with a lot of it. I think the biggest interference was that Kirby wasn't allowed to kill any of the characters, because DC wanted to use them in the future.


Of course DC wouldn't want any deaths, they couldn't exploit the characters for decades afterwards.
User avatar

LobsterJ

Expert Post Whore

Postby LobsterJ » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:49 pm

Do I have to read Hickman's FF to understand his Fantastic Four?
User avatar

Zero

Zombie Guard

Postby Zero » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:32 am

LobsterJ wrote:Do I have to read Hickman's FF to understand his Fantastic Four?


Pretty much. FF replaced Fantastic four for a year, then the two told a single story flitting between the two books for around 6 months before becoming a little bit separate in the final year. Somewhere in the thread there's a reading order.
User avatar

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:32 pm

Yeah Fantastic Four 1-4, FF 1-2, F4 5 and F3 happen alongside each other and then F4 6 and FF 4 are more or less the same.

I think...
User avatar

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:56 pm

Don't forget to keep an eye on your IRL mail box, Keb! I can't remember what day I mailed you stuff*, it was maybe Tuesday I think.

*See, Chris? I not only talk about stuff I like, sometimes I'm willing to send it to someone else for free so I can talk about it with them!
User avatar

nietoperz

The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:36 pm

I just picked up the Morrison Animal Man Omnibus, and can't wait to get stuck in.

On a side note: has anyone heard anything about DC cancelling the Starman Omnibus paperbacks? I got the first two volumes and vol 3 was due out in May and still hasn't appeared. Nobody seems to know anything about it. If they're cancelled I'm going to be seriously annoyed.
User avatar

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:33 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:Don't forget to keep an eye on your IRL mail box, Keb! I can't remember what day I mailed you stuff*, it was maybe Tuesday I think.

*See, Chris? I not only talk about stuff I like, sometimes I'm willing to send it to someone else for free so I can talk about it with them!

I check it every day. It's on the way home from class. There's a series of underground tunnels that connects all the residence buildings here on campus and the rest of the school is all connected by indoor links so I can get from home to class without going outside. I don't know why I said that but I really needed to share.

Also, I have a presentation/discussion group to lead in a couple weeks on graphic novels. I need to read the article but I was thinking of supplementing the discussion with some comics. I was thinking New Gods 7. Any other suggestions?
User avatar

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:36 pm

Image

Wow. What a book. The premise is, dozens of cartoonists are sent a couple of panels of old Popeye & Little Orphan Annie comics, and then they have to draw panels connecting the two or spin off of them in some other way. That's the gist of it, but the rules are loose. Some friends of mine have stuff in it too.

Many of them are really funny. A lot of them went into deviant or transgressive territories, to say the least, but all of the approaches or "solutions" to the mash-up are interesting and creative. Some are more formal, a few get pretty broad and abstract. It's a big comic with over 70 artists and printed on nice old-fashioned newsprint too.

I love the improv feel to it, and the editor, Josh Bayer, encourages readers and other artists to play the game too (but doesn't want to give the false impression that he's soliciting them for print). In some ways, it's a book that'll appeal to comics insiders but I think many more than that would enjoy it.
User avatar

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:38 pm

Keb wrote:I check it every day. It's on the way home from class. There's a series of underground tunnels that connects all the residence buildings here on campus and the rest of the school is all connected by indoor links so I can get from home to class without going outside. I don't know why I said that but I really needed to share.

Also, I have a presentation/discussion group to lead in a couple weeks on graphic novels. I need to read the article but I was thinking of supplementing the discussion with some comics. I was thinking New Gods 7. Any other suggestions?


I went to a school like that for one year, it was designed to be one of the first truly handicapped-accessible colleges. Tunnels leading everywhere.
User avatar

Arion

Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:55 pm

nietoperz wrote:I just picked up the Morrison Animal Man Omnibus, and can't wait to get stuck in.

On a side note: has anyone heard anything about DC cancelling the Starman Omnibus paperbacks? I got the first two volumes and vol 3 was due out in May and still hasn't appeared. Nobody seems to know anything about it. If they're cancelled I'm going to be seriously annoyed.


After printing two volumes it wouldn't make sense to cancel the third one. Of course DC has a history of surprising us... and not always in a good way.
User avatar

nietoperz

The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:20 am

Arion wrote:
After printing two volumes it wouldn't make sense to cancel the third one. Of course DC has a history of surprising us... and not always in a good way.


You'd think that, but DC printed SIX volumes of Justice League International and then stopped - and volume six ends in the middle of a story!
User avatar

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:43 pm

On average, DC takes about two to four years to release a paperback version of a hardcover. They are absolutely useless.

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FaceBook [Linkcheck], Google [Bot] and 70 guests