Advertisement

All-New X-Men #17 (Battle Of The Atom Part 6 Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Shitlord

All-New X-Men #17 (Battle Of The Atom Part 6 Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:45 am

The second act of Battle Of The Atom begins, and whilst there isn’t much in the way of plot progression in this issue, Bendis provides plenty of much-needed back-story for these mysterious, future X-Men.

We discover, that, in the future, Alison Blaire, AKA Dazzler (it’s not clear whether or not this is the actual Dazzler or Mystique, who has been impersonating her in the pages of Uncanny) is convinced to run for US President by the rest of the X-Men and… she wins, becoming America’s first Mutant President. Yes We Can etc etc. Only, just as she’s about to begin her inauguration speech, she is attacked and killed by a weird fiery blast, and a bunch of strange monsters attack. This seemingly leads to another Mutant ‘schism’ as Beast realises that the humans will never accept Mutants.

We don’t find out much more, as the rest of the issue takes place even further into the future, with Magik, along with OG-Beast and OG-Iceman meeting the other side of that schism, who are of course, not best pleased to see them. We learn a bit more about these characters, including that, yep, that is Jubilee, and we also see that Colossus has Magik’s soul-sword. There’s also more mystery raised about Iceman and his future, as he seems to have split into 2 halves. This group of X-Men initially refuse to help, but in the end, a bunch of them travel back in time with Magik, Hank and Bobby, and arrive in our time to team up with Cyclops’ team. So now we’ve got warring factions of X-Men from the present, the past, and the future going at it, oh man, the rest of this story is going to be mental.

As I said, there wasn’t much plot movement here, but it was very useful to find out more about the Future X-Men, and even though we did get some answers here, it only raised more questions. What were those monster that attacked President Dazzler? What evil actions have Beast and his team done? What’s the deal with Iceman? Who is the guy in the Iron Man suit? I think comics are always at their best when they have the reader desperate to find out more, and the X-Books are certainly doing that at the moment. Throw in the usual great Bendis dialogue and fantastic artwork from Stuart Immonen, and this book, and this crossover, continue to be extremely enjoyable. There are 4 chapters left, man, I’m pumped.

Advertisement

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 6 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Re: All-New X-Men #17 (Battle Of The Atom Part 6 Spoilers)

Postby e_galston » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:22 am

it was the real dazzler, cause if it was mystique she would have went back to looking like mystique when she was killed...

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:15 am

Looked like limbo demons.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:15 am

So does Future Beast come to think of it, with that horn.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 8 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:35 am

It's hard to imagine any future where the X-Men would select Dazzler to run for president, let alone a future where she would win. Granted, we don't know what happens between now and then but at this point Dazzler seems like an odd choice.

When the monsters started attacking, I immediately thought of that weirdo who the X-Men fought at the beginning of this crossover. I don't remember her name but I remember that she had a star on her face and looked like she belonged in the New 52 rather than Marvel.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:55 am

great issue with a huge disappointment of the limbo demons or whatever they were since its sort of a throw away act. ANd yeah president Dazzler makes no sense whatsoever. I knew turning the page Dazzler was dead meat I was just thinking it was going to be a sentinel which would have been awesome.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Punchy
Staff Writer

Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:04 pm

Grayson wrote:It's hard to imagine any future where the X-Men would select Dazzler to run for president, let alone a future where she would win. Granted, we don't know what happens between now and then but at this point Dazzler seems like an odd choice.

When the monsters started attacking, I immediately thought of that weirdo who the X-Men fought at the beginning of this crossover. I don't remember her name but I remember that she had a star on her face and looked like she belonged in the New 52 rather than Marvel.

Bendis just loves Dazzler.

Chesscub
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Bear du jour

Postby Chesscub » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:18 pm

Grayson wrote:It's hard to imagine any future where the X-Men would select Dazzler to run for president, let alone a future where she would win. Granted, we don't know what happens between now and then but at this point Dazzler seems like an odd choice.

That choice was outrageous. Truly, truly outrageous.

Flynn the Pirate
OMCTO

Postby Flynn the Pirate » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:06 pm

I was really disappointed with this issue. There was almost no plot development and the whole thing with Dazzler was painfully obvious. I get that this was an attempt to flesh out the future X-Men, but not only did it not do that, it also introduced a whole lot of new future X-Men for me to not care about.

I've really been enjoying this storyline, but this chapter was terrible.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:33 pm

Flynn the Pirate wrote:I was really disappointed with this issue. There was almost no plot development and the whole thing with Dazzler was painfully obvious. I get that this was an attempt to flesh out the future X-Men, but not only did it not do that, it also introduced a whole lot of new future X-Men for me to not care about.

Not as bad as the last Bendis issue or the Wood issue. One more wood issue left and then I never have to read a comic by him again.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

- Les Paul

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 8 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:42 pm

Punchy wrote:Bendis just loves Dazzler.

I like Dazzler too but it's still a giant stretch.

Chesscub wrote:That choice was outrageous. Truly, truly outrageous.

:lol:
ImageImageImage

Lord Ice
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Lord Ice » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:09 pm

Flynn the Pirate wrote:I was really disappointed with this issue. There was almost no plot development and the whole thing with Dazzler was painfully obvious. I get that this was an attempt to flesh out the future X-Men, but not only did it not do that, it also introduced a whole lot of new future X-Men for me to not care about.

All Bendis chapters are naturally terrible. Only the Wood chapter has been good and not filled with double splash pages.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:59 pm

Lord Ice wrote:
All Bendis chapters are naturally terrible. Only the Wood chapter has been good and not filled with double splash pages.

You're insane. The wood issue was terrible.

- Les Paul

Flynn the Pirate
OMCTO

Postby Flynn the Pirate » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:46 am

guitarsmashley wrote:Not as bad as the last Bendis issue or the Wood issue. One more wood issue left and then I never have to read a comic by him again.

Lord Ice wrote:

I'm not Bendis' biggest fan or anything. I generally find his work to be pretty hit or miss. For instance, I generally enjoy his All-New X-Men, but I'm just about to drop Uncanny X-Men. Likewise, I liked his Mighty and later his Dark Avengers, but hated New Avengers on the whole. So like I said, hit or miss.

My biggest gripe here was that, again, NOTHING HAPPENED! I mean, seriously... nothing. If the whole thing had been a flashback, it might have worked better, but that's not what we got. We got half of a flashback and half of a half-assed attempt to move the story forward and neither did anything substantial enough to really impress anyone.

I also was let down by his depiction of Old Beast. After several issues of a moderately acceptable Beast being written in All-New (not great, but better than he has been in years), we once again get burned out old hippy Beast. Blech.

Also, I really like the Wood series.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:38 am

Wolverine and The X-men>All New X-men>>>>>>>>>>>Uncanny X-Men> X-Men.

Wood's book has been boring and is dropped after the next issue. So is Uncanny.

- Les Paul

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand