Advertisement

Superman/Wonder Woman #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

IvCNuB4
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 2 posts

Superman/Wonder Woman #1

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:06 pm

Aaron Kuder variant

Cliff Chiang variant

Black-n-white variant to regular Tony Daniel cover

Last edited by IvCNuB4 on Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Advertisement

Draco x
penile prisoner

Liked in: 1 post

Re: Superman/Wonder Woman #1 Variant Covers

Postby Draco x » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:14 pm

I do like the artwork for the covers.

IvCNuB4
Zombie Guard

Superman/Wonder Woman #1

Postby IvCNuB4 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:13 pm

Last edited by IvCNuB4 on Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.
-
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Chesscub
WTF is this rank?

Title: Bear du jour

Postby Chesscub » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:19 pm

I want the NYCC edition. :-(

misac
Outhouse Editor

Postby misac » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:37 pm

I like the first two.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 5 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Re: Superman/Wonder Woman #1

Postby Grayson » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:36 pm

If I were buying this, I would buy this one:

ImageImageImage

Supersoldier Washout
crash test dummy

Location: I can't really say. I'm currently what they call "AWOL" from S.H.I.E.L.D.
Title: Will Fight for Beer
Formerly: Spongy McGee

Postby Supersoldier Washout » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:57 pm

The New York Comic Con edition is pretty cool.

I want it, too.

IvCNuB4
Zombie Guard

Postby IvCNuB4 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:16 pm

I wound up getting the standard tri-fold cover. Tony Daniel delivers some of his best art in this issue. The story alternates between Superman & Wonder Woman in the present battling a storm (which is more than it seems), to flashbacks of their date just before this happens and scenes of Clark with Cat, as well as a side-plot of an unseen person mailing Cat a flash-drive with pics proving Superman & WW are in a relationship.
At one point Kal is off on a rescue mission which later leaves Diana in a precarious last page cliff-hanger.

Something of a quick read but a good start for a new title. 8)
-

IvCNuB4
Zombie Guard

Postby IvCNuB4 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:15 am

Anyone able to snag any of the variants, and if so, which ones ?
-

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:00 pm

For some reason, this book is one of the most controversial launches of the year, and I really don’t get it. Either people care way more about Steve Trevor and Lois Lane (Editor’s Note: Woah, don’t bring that up again! And anyway, you don’t even have an editor, you’re talking to yourself! Natterin’ Niam) than I thought, or people are just complaining for the sake of it. For years, people have wanted a second Wonder Woman title, and now we have one, and it’s somehow not good enough. And for some bizarre reason, having two people of equal strength be in a relationship is somehow bad for equality? I just don’t get it, the romantic relationship between these two characters is something new and exciting, and that’s in short supply at DC these days, so I welcome it.

This first issue is no classic, but it was solid enough, and Charles Soule has shown, both in the pages of Swamp Thing and his Lex Luthor one-shot, that he knows the world of Superman. Here, he tackles Wonder Woman’s milieu just as adeptly. Soule is a good writer, trust him, even if you don’t like the relationship lemons, he’ll make lemonade.

The story here is fairly simple, Superman and Wonder Woman go on a date, where they discuss the fact that Diana wants to go public about their relationship, whereas Clark wants to keep it a secret (In the end, they may not have a choice, a mysterious person has a video of them kissing, and has sent it to Cat Grant, could it be Booster Gold? He disappeared when they first got together). They are then called off on what seems like a routine mission involving a heavy storm off the coast of Norway. But of course, it’s not routine. Superman gets his ass kicked, leaving Wonder Woman alone to face… Doomsday! It’s pretty much always an event when Doomsday shows up, and it will be interesting to see how Wonder Woman fares against him (it?).

Soule also shows us some of each character’s supporting cast, as we see Clark Kent discuss his Blog with Cat Grant, and Wonder Woman spar with Hessia, another Amazon. Even though Hessia is a new character, I really liked how Soule is bringing in some of what Brian Azzarello has introduced to Wonder Woman. Apart from a brief appearance from Hephaestus, the Wonder Woman we see in the pages of Justice League almost feels like a different character, much more of a superhero, than the one in her own title, but here, Soule is presenting an effective hybrid of the two versions. So he’s reflecting Wonder Woman’s relationship with Superman and membership of the JLA, which are never, ever mentioned by Azzarello, but also bringing up the events of the solo title, like the Amazons being turned to stone, or Wonder Woman’s history with the God Of War. I love Azzarello’s run, and am glad that DC are creating a second book, rather than editorially interfering with his series like they do everywhere else.

Tony Daniel is an artist that I run hot and cold on, but this is probably the best work I’ve seen from him since his brief run on Teen Titans. He’s already drawn both of these characters many times before, and his classic, superhero style really suits the tone of Soule’s story.

I really think people should check this series out, these are two of the greatest superheroes in comics, and this title is actually doing something fresh with them. It’s also worth noting that, any fears about this title making Wonder Woman look weak are unfounded, if anything, she comes across as the more powerful and confident character here. Of course, I’m sure people can find a way to twist that into this series being sexist too. This is a perfectly good superhero series, and whilst this first issue is mostly about defining the relationship, the involvement of Doomsday gives plenty of room for excitement.

IvCNuB4
Zombie Guard

Postby IvCNuB4 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:27 pm

Punchy wrote: For years, people have wanted a second Wonder Woman title, and now we have one ... I really liked how Soule is bringing in some of what Brian Azzarello has introduced to Wonder Woman. Apart from a brief appearance from Hephaestus, the Wonder Woman we see in the pages of Justice League almost feels like a different character, much more of a superhero, than the one in her own title, but here, Soule is presenting an effective hybrid of the two versions. So he’s reflecting Wonder Woman’s relationship with Superman and membership of the JLA, which are never, ever mentioned by Azzarello, but also bringing up the events of the solo title, like the Amazons being turned to stone, or Wonder Woman’s history with the God Of War. I love Azzarello’s run, and am glad that DC are creating a second book, rather than editorially interfering with his series like they do everywhere else.

Good points about Wonder Woman.
-

Michael Rudikoff
Faster Pussycat

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Michael Rudikoff » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:00 pm

Punchy wrote:For some reason, this book is one of the most controversial launches of the year, and I really don’t get it. Either people care way more about Steve Trevor and Lois Lane (Editor’s Note: Woah, don’t bring that up again! And anyway, you don’t even have an editor, you’re talking to yourself! Natterin’ Niam) than I thought, or people are just complaining for the sake of it. For years, people have wanted a second Wonder Woman title, and now we have one, and it’s somehow not good enough. And for some bizarre reason, having two people of equal strength be in a relationship is somehow bad for equality? I just don’t get it, the romantic relationship between these two characters is something new and exciting, and that’s in short supply at DC these days, so I welcome it.

This first issue is no classic, but it was solid enough, and Charles Soule has shown, both in the pages of Swamp Thing and his Lex Luthor one-shot, that he knows the world of Superman. Here, he tackles Wonder Woman’s milieu just as adeptly. Soule is a good writer, trust him, even if you don’t like the relationship lemons, he’ll make lemonade.

The story here is fairly simple, Superman and Wonder Woman go on a date, where they discuss the fact that Diana wants to go public about their relationship, whereas Clark wants to keep it a secret (In the end, they may not have a choice, a mysterious person has a video of them kissing, and has sent it to Cat Grant, could it be Booster Gold? He disappeared when they first got together). They are then called off on what seems like a routine mission involving a heavy storm off the coast of Norway. But of course, it’s not routine. Superman gets his ass kicked, leaving Wonder Woman alone to face… Doomsday! It’s pretty much always an event when Doomsday shows up, and it will be interesting to see how Wonder Woman fares against him (it?).

Soule also shows us some of each character’s supporting cast, as we see Clark Kent discuss his Blog with Cat Grant, and Wonder Woman spar with Hessia, another Amazon. Even though Hessia is a new character, I really liked how Soule is bringing in some of what Brian Azzarello has introduced to Wonder Woman. Apart from a brief appearance from Hephaestus, the Wonder Woman we see in the pages of Justice League almost feels like a different character, much more of a superhero, than the one in her own title, but here, Soule is presenting an effective hybrid of the two versions. So he’s reflecting Wonder Woman’s relationship with Superman and membership of the JLA, which are never, ever mentioned by Azzarello, but also bringing up the events of the solo title, like the Amazons being turned to stone, or Wonder Woman’s history with the God Of War. I love Azzarello’s run, and am glad that DC are creating a second book, rather than editorially interfering with his series like they do everywhere else.

Tony Daniel is an artist that I run hot and cold on, but this is probably the best work I’ve seen from him since his brief run on Teen Titans. He’s already drawn both of these characters many times before, and his classic, superhero style really suits the tone of Soule’s story.

I really think people should check this series out, these are two of the greatest superheroes in comics, and this title is actually doing something fresh with them. It’s also worth noting that, any fears about this title making Wonder Woman look weak are unfounded, if anything, she comes across as the more powerful and confident character here. Of course, I’m sure people can find a way to twist that into this series being sexist too. This is a perfectly good superhero series, and whilst this first issue is mostly about defining the relationship, the involvement of Doomsday gives plenty of room for excitement.

I agree with your thoughts. Mr. Soule sounds like an ideal writer, but I really have a beef with the way Geoff Johns ******* up Diana. He's really got issues w/ certain women. If Mr. Soule stays away from Johns' immature BS, I'll give his story a try.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand