Advertisement

Marvel Announces New "Disney Kingdoms" Line of Comics

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 168 posts

Marvel Announces New "Disney Kingdoms" Line of Comics

Postby LOLtron » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:45 pm

Marvel Announces New

A new comic line featuring comics based on Disney attractions will be announced at NYCC.

Source: Inside the Magic

Inside the Magic, a Disney Park blog, announced the first in a new line of comics based on attractions from Disney's theme parks and published by Marvel. Working with Disney Imagineers, Marvel is developing the "Disney Kingdoms" line Marvel The first, Seekers of the Weird, will take place in the Museum of the Weird, a scrapped attraction that was to serve as the walk-in to the Haunted Mansion.  Seekers of the Weird will be written by Outhouse favorite Brandon Seifert, with art by Karl Moline, and will be about two teenagers trying to rescue their parents from an evil secret society. 

Inside the Magic's article mentions that Marvel has more Disney Kingdom books in the pipeline, although they haven't decided which attractions will be featured next.  

Here's the cover to the first Seekers of the Weird:

Written or Contributed by ThanosCopter

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

Chessack
cheese

Liked in: 275 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Re: Marvel Announces New

Postby Chessack » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:26 pm

This sounds very similar in tone to the Kingdom Keepers series of novels. The premise sounds almost the same, at least. Hopefully this will be better written than the first novel, which had a good premise but horrible executing, even for a YA book.

Chesscub
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 5 posts
Title: Bear du jour

Postby Chesscub » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:27 pm

Bring back "Darkwing Duck" :smt013

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 417 posts
Title: The Show Starts In 2 Minutes
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:35 pm

Ah that explains the Weird promo from earlier this year...

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 167 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:25 pm

Thought for a second we'd be getting Kingdom Hearts stories.

holtom2000
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 52 posts

Postby holtom2000 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:36 pm

Chessack wrote:This sounds very similar in tone to the Kingdom Keepers series of novels. The premise sounds almost the same, at least. Hopefully this will be better written than the first novel, which had a good premise but horrible executing, even for a YA book.

how are those? too kid like? or worth a read for a Disney fan?

TimH
cheese

Liked in: 144 posts

Postby TimH » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:15 pm

you mean Disney Rides are getting their own comics?

i’m sure these will be inspired, with vibrant zest. :lol:

Chessack
cheese

Postby Chessack » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:52 pm

holtom2000 wrote:how are those? too kid like? or worth a read for a Disney fan?

I am a HUGE Disney fan. My whole family is. I noticed the books in the Disney book shops last year when we took my 3 year old nephew to Disney World. The blurb on the back of the books said that these teenage kids who worked in the park ended up getting caught there after hours. The evil characters from Disney films come to life at night after the park closes, and the kids have to figure out what they are after, and try to stop them. After I got home from the parks, I bought the first book on my Nook.

I love the premise. Disney is all about magic that only works if you believe it (as multiple rides, attractions, and the show on the steps of Cinderella's castle told us while we were there) and I was happy to accept that concept. The premise was fine.

Unfortunately the writing was terrible. I love reading YA fiction, and books like Harry Potter and Hunger Games rank not just among my YA favorites but among my all time favorites. But the quality of the Kingdom Keepers books is just there. The characters are completely unbelievable, and although the kids are supposedly in high school they act more like they are 10 years old than 15 or 16. The plot also jumps around too much, and the leaps of logic that the characters make to figure out the mystery are not justified by what is going on in the story.

Again, I don't think this is a case of me being too demanding of YA fiction. I love YA fiction. But the first book in this series was just... bad. The writing was awful. So much so that I did not try the other ones.

holtom2000
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby holtom2000 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:03 pm

Chessack wrote:
I am a HUGE Disney fan. My whole family is. I noticed the books in the Disney book shops last year when we took my 3 year old nephew to Disney World. The blurb on the back of the books said that these teenage kids who worked in the park ended up getting caught there after hours. The evil characters from Disney films come to life at night after the park closes, and the kids have to figure out what they are after, and try to stop them. After I got home from the parks, I bought the first book on my Nook.

I love the premise. Disney is all about magic that only works if you believe it (as multiple rides, attractions, and the show on the steps of Cinderella's castle told us while we were there) and I was happy to accept that concept. The premise was fine.

Unfortunately the writing was terrible. I love reading YA fiction, and books like Harry Potter and Hunger Games rank not just among my YA favorites but among my all time favorites. But the quality of the Kingdom Keepers books is just there. The characters are completely unbelievable, and although the kids are supposedly in high school they act more like they are 10 years old than 15 or 16. The plot also jumps around too much, and the leaps of logic that the characters make to figure out the mystery are not justified by what is going on in the story.

Again, I don't think this is a case of me being too demanding of YA fiction. I love YA fiction. But the first book in this series was just... bad. The writing was awful. So much so that I did not try the other ones.

huh. too bad. Was thinking of getting these for my kid wink wink and then read them after... We're big Disney fans as well (just got back in fact, and the wife used to work at EPCOT in the Canadian pavilion).
oh well, these comics sound cool at any rate

Draco x
FROGMAN

Liked in: 209 posts

Postby Draco x » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:13 pm

Chesscub wrote:Bring back "Darkwing Duck" :smt013

As well as Gargoyles, Mighty Ducks, Duck Tale, Gummi Bears, etc.

Chessack
cheese

Postby Chessack » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:27 pm

holtom2000 wrote:huh. too bad. Was thinking of getting these for my kid wink wink and then read them after... We're big Disney fans as well (just got back in fact, and the wife used to work at EPCOT in the Canadian pavilion).
oh well, these comics sound cool at any rate

Well, they are not expensive on the nook and the first one is pretty short. I say get it, and try it out. If you like it then great. If not, then you won't have lost much other than a few bucks and a few hours' time. If you do, please come on here and tell me if you agree or disagree with my assessment.

holtom2000
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby holtom2000 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:53 pm

will do - and thanks

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 34 posts
Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse

Re: Marvel Announces New "Disney Kingdoms" Line of Comics

Postby bkthomson » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:08 pm

Chessack wrote:This sounds very similar in tone to the Kingdom Keepers series of novels. The premise sounds almost the same, at least. Hopefully this will be better written than the first novel, which had a good premise but horrible executing, even for a YA book.

Agree. I read book one of KK and was disappointed at the lost potential. Spend an extra 50 to 100 pages to flesh things out and it could have been a quality book.
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 34 posts
Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse

Re: Marvel Announces New "Disney Kingdoms" Line of Comics

Postby bkthomson » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:12 pm

Chessack wrote:
Well, they are not expensive on the nook and the first one is pretty short. I say get it, and try it out. If you like it then great. If not, then you won't have lost much other than a few bucks and a few hours' time. If you do, please come on here and tell me if you agree or disagree with my assessment.

I think you summed it up nicely as i read book one before going to Disney world in June. Though it was fun to see the firehouse and the steps leading up to the top floor. Wanted to knock on the door.
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand