Advertisement

Marvel: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Premieres Tonight

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Flynn the Pirate
OMCTO

Liked in: 0 post

Re: Marvel: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Premieres Tonight

Postby Flynn the Pirate » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:44 pm

I haven't gotten around to watching this yet, though I imagine I will be binge watching it once it hits Netflix. That being said, even before it came out, I was wary of anything by Whedon with almost exclusively original characters. I love the man when he is working with established characters (Avengers was a heck of a lot of fun and his Astonishing X-Men is fantastic to read).

However, when he has to work with his own characters, I find he tends to make the same characters over and over and just give them different names and slight tweaks here and there.

Still want to watch it, but my own pre-existing concerns along with all the complaints I've heard about it are definitely not giving me good vibes.

Advertisement

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 586 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:49 pm

outsider wrote:IIRC, wasn't Jessica Jones created for Alias because Marvel wouldn't let Bendis use Jessica Drew in the first place?

I believe this is so.

But I'm also wondering... what if Skye is another existing Marvel character that we've all sort of forgotten/ignored?

Or could she be just something new?

Add to this, where is Bobbie Chase aka Mockingbird? Make her a part of the show.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:50 pm

eltopo wrote:Image

mmmmmmmmm

Her wrist band kept me thinking of Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:52 pm

I just had a thought... shut up smartasses.... yes an insane one perhaps....

Could, over the course of the season, Skye prove to be... Madame Hydra?

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 765 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:43 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:Wow, not only does Skye get used as a sexualized pawn by more powerful male characters, but in the end she even has to be rescued by another man and then taught a lesson by him too.

This is one progressive and not-cliche'd TV show!

100% this! God this annoyed me so much and the fact that she needed to be rescued by Ward made it even worse. I didn't expect Skye to just waltz into a hostile environment and waltz back out unscathed but as far as unnecessary, manufactured dramatic moments are concerned, this one takes the ridiculous cake.
ImageImageImage

Johnny Smith
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 140 posts
Title: Metadata Broker

Postby Johnny Smith » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:55 pm

Here's the updated Nielsen ratings

Air date Episode 18-49 demo % demo change Viewers (mil) % mil change
Tues 9/24/2013 01-01 4.7 12.12
Tues 10/1/2013 01-02 3.3 -29.79% 8.66 -28.55%
Tues 10/08/2013 01-03 2.8 -15.15% 7.72 -10.85%

http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/marvels-agents-of-shield-season-one-ratings-30009/

NCIS only got a 2.7 rating last night in 18-49. It had 17.87 Viewers (mil) last night.

Strict31
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 166 posts
Title: Ain't enough space bitches

Postby Strict31 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:23 pm

Grayson wrote:
100% this! God this annoyed me so much and the fact that she needed to be rescued by Ward made it even worse. I didn't expect Skye to just waltz into a hostile environment and waltz back out unscathed but as far as unnecessary, manufactured dramatic moments are concerned, this one takes the ridiculous cake.

I can see the point you guys are making, but I really don't want to see Skye turn into a canned bad-ass. Watching the actress attempt to throw a punch was almost painful. Maybe she's acting like Skye is that bad at throwing a punch, or maybe they ran out of money to hire a fight coordinator...But either way, everybody is supposed to have their own skillset and to shine in their particular field. And no matter how hot a chick is on an action TV show, she's not gonna go from hacktivist to combat warlord of ass-kicking overnight. Or even in the course of a season.

Unless there's cosmic radiation involved or a karate-ghost that possesses her...

I think she proved she belonged in the biz, so to speak by outsmarting Evil Guy. And she did it using nothing but the truth. Which is kinda her whole deal.

I see what you're saying, because I could easily see how someone would say, "and the bitch still needed rescuing!"

But this is a show about a team. She did her part, and James Bond Jr. did his part.

"You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
And now and then stab, as occasion serves."

Edward II: Act 2 Scene 1, by Christopher Marlowe

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:42 pm

Strict31 wrote:I can see the point you guys are making, but I really don't want to see Skye turn into a canned bad-ass. Watching the actress attempt to throw a punch was almost painful. Maybe she's acting like Skye is that bad at throwing a punch, or maybe they ran out of money to hire a fight coordinator...But either way, everybody is supposed to have their own skillset and to shine in their particular field. And no matter how hot a chick is on an action TV show, she's not gonna go from hacktivist to combat warlord of ass-kicking overnight. Or even in the course of a season.

Unless there's cosmic radiation involved or a karate-ghost that possesses her...

I think she proved she belonged in the biz, so to speak by outsmarting Evil Guy. And she did it using nothing but the truth. Which is kinda her whole deal.

I see what you're saying, because I could easily see how someone would say, "and the bitch still needed rescuing!"

But this is a show about a team. She did her part, and James Bond Jr. did his part.

I think that my biggest problem with the moment in question is the fact that it was completely unnecessary on all levels and was telegraphed from the opening of the show. We already know that Ward is supposed to be a super spy and we already know that Skye isn't a combat expert just like we also know that she wouldn't be prepared to disarm anybody after one single sparring session with Ward. They just threw it into the episode because they wanted to create that moment where the hero could rush to Skye's defense when she really needed it. Like I said, it was telegraphed and we all saw it coming way too far in advance.

Personally, I think the smarter move would have been for Skye to have completely outsmarted Quinn. Make Quinn believe that she was actually going to work for him and he allows her to leave. Skye could be set up as a triple agent and her true loyalties would be a mystery for a good portion of the season. As it stands now, if she isn't going to take Quinn up on his offer it's pretty obvious that she will eventually choose SHIELD over Rising Tide as well.
ImageImageImage

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:43 pm

You love Skye, Strict31! You'd even let her eat a piece of your birthday cake!!

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:00 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:You love Skye, Strict31! You'd even let her eat a piece of your birthday cake!!

If she ate a piece of Strict's birthday cake, I suspect that she would have a bigger problem than just getting the crap beaten out of her...perhaps a stabbing of some sort...

God, speaking of birthday cake, that line was so awful that I had blissfully banished it from my memory until now... :smt011
ImageImageImage

Pink_Orchid
The Virgin Connie Swail

Liked in: 84 posts
Formerly: Pink Peril

Postby Pink_Orchid » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:45 pm

I love Coulson, and May has possibilities. But the rest are cardboard. I did really like Agent Mack the truck driver. He should be a regular guest character.

Strict31
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Strict31 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:47 pm

Grayson wrote:
I think that my biggest problem with the moment in question is the fact that it was completely unnecessary on all levels and was telegraphed from the opening of the show. We already know that Ward is supposed to be a super spy and we already know that Skye isn't a combat expert just like we also know that she wouldn't be prepared to disarm anybody after one single sparring session with Ward. They just threw it into the episode because they wanted to create that moment where the hero could rush to Skye's defense when she really needed it. Like I said, it was telegraphed and we all saw it coming way too far in advance.

Personally, I think the smarter move would have been for Skye to have completely outsmarted Quinn. Make Quinn believe that she was actually going to work for him and he allows her to leave. Skye could be set up as a triple agent and her true loyalties would be a mystery for a good portion of the season. As it stands now, if she isn't going to take Quinn up on his offer it's pretty obvious that she will eventually choose SHIELD over Rising Tide as well.

Yeah, there's a lot that is telegraphed on this show.

I'm not sure if Rising Tide has a connection to the Marvel Universe since I don't read Marvel (or DC) anymore. But since I've never heard of it, I'm gonna agree that Skye's prolly gonna choose SHIELD over it. But at the same time, she probably also knows the durty shit SHIELD has been getting into. So, if she's as smart as they've claimed she is on the show, her loyalties will be conflicted. That is to say, she's on-board with the general concept of helping people, but isn't drinking the kool-aid.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 625 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:48 pm

eltopo wrote:Image

mmmmmmmmm

The red dress after jumping in the pool was her defining moment.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Strict31
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Strict31 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:50 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:You love Skye, Strict31! You'd even let her eat a piece of your birthday cake!!

I am...unfamiliar with this reference. But if it means what I think it means, then, yes, in all likelihood, I would allow her to eat cake.

And even if it doesn't mean what I think it means, then allowing her to have a piece of my birthday cake would still be gentlemanly.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 625 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:53 pm

Strict31 wrote:I am...unfamiliar with this reference. But if it means what I think it means, then, yes, in all likelihood, I would allow her to eat cake.

And even if it doesn't mean what I think it means, then allowing her to have a piece of my birthday cake would still be gentlemanly.

It was from the show. The birthday cake was JBJr's defining moment.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum